What Does It Mean That God Desires All People To Be Saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Jesus told the theif on the cross he would be with him in paradise that evening? How is that any different? I looked it up. It appears they believe Mary was given her heavenly body already. Do they understand that no one has been resurrected yet? Not even Mary, Who is in Paradise awaiting the return of her savior?
Well, it's all rather confusing in my mind and I don't want to pretend to be an expert on such things. Also, there's a lot of differing opinions even among those who are in the same Faith.

Anyway, some see Mary as Divine.... she had to be, they reason because something un-pure couldn't conceive Jesus, the Holy One. (cf. The Immaculate Conception and The Council of Ephesus).

Therefore, she also could not die.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Well, it's all rather confusing in my mind and I don't want to pretend to be an expert on such things. Also, there's a lot of differing opinions even among those who are in the same Faith.

Anyway, some see Mary as Divine.... she had to be, they reason because something un-pure couldn't conceive Jesus, the Holy One. (cf. The Immaculate Conception and The Council of Ephesus).

Therefore, she also could not die.
She birthed the human body of Jesus, Jesus entered the body after the birth when God breathed life into the baby. She did not birth God. Jesus as God, as Jesus said himself, was before Abraham. Mary was not even conceived herself yet by sinful parents.

Mary could not be devine. She also could not be sinless. The term full of grace proves this. A perfect being would not need grace. they would EARN their righteous standing with God.

One needs grace because they are a sinner..

Even Mary called Jesus her savior. Its odd that she understood what many others do not..

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
Hmmm.

Can you point to where it says in Scripture that we should worship, or even pray to Mary?
Sure. But only after you show me where did Jesus ask his disciples to write a book about Him.

Also, Here is a good explanation of just what it means for Mary to be the mother of God. Hope you are not confused. Mary was a sinner, just like you and me, that needed her Son's Sacrifice to pay her sin debt.
She was a sinner, but she wasn't like you and me... she was chosen by God the Father to bear His Son.

We should distinguish the term Theotokos from mother of God, because there is a subtle yet important difference. The term mother of God could be taken wrongly as implying that Mary was the source or originator of God, similar to how Juno was the mother of Vulcan in Roman mythology. Of course, Christianity teaches that God is eternal and that Jesus Christ has a pre-existent, divine nature. The idea that Mary is the mother of God in the sense that she was the source of God or somehow predated God or is herself part of the Godhead is patently unbiblical, and heretical.
We call her mother of God, in order to accentuate and confess the nature of Jesus Christ, who is both God and man. So that people who don't believe He is both God and man (most heresies revolved around Jesus's nature) get red-headed. ;)

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Sure. But only after you show me where did Jesus ask his disciples to write a book about Him.
The whole bible is about him, thats why he is called the word (john 1) so its confusing why you would ask such a question

She was a sinner, but she wasn't like you and me... she was chosen by God the Father to bear His Son.
That would make her just like us, the penalty of sin is death. Jesus had to die for her also.

But she was shown grace that she could even bore the human body that would be given the spirit of Christ at birth

We call her mother of God, in order to accentuate and confess the nature of Jesus Christ, who is both God and man. So that people who don't believe He is both God and man (most heresies revolved around Jesus's nature) get red-headed. ;)
She is not the mother of God. that is a pagan term.

She is the mother of Jesus Fleshy body. God has no mother.

Jesus was God long before he entered the body bore by Mary

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Where in Scripture? Are you talking about some Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Book that ISN'T Scripture?

Yes she was. Not sure what that proves.

We call her mother of God, in order to accentuate and confess the nature of Jesus Christ, who is both God and man. So that people who don't believe He is both God and man (most heresies revolved around Jesus's nature) get red-headed.
He is God and man. No argument there.

So we're back to why you think it's ok to pray and Worship Mary?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I never denied that, and I can't figure out why you think I did.
Weird, since our conversation started with you denying that Calvinists by large believe the U of T.U.L.I.P.

Your claim was that only 1% (a statistic you made up) believe that God predetermines who will be saved.

That is such a small subset that it hardly warrants mention.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
Weird, since our conversation started with you denying that Calvinists by large believe the U of T.U.L.I.P.

Your claim was that only 1% (a statistic you made up) believe that God predetermines who will be saved.
Yet, that's not what the 1% is referring to. So, are you interested in an actual conversation, or would you prefer to just continue with your misconceptions?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yet, that's not what the 1% is referring to. So, are you interested in an actual conversation, or would you prefer to just continue with your misconceptions?
If you were interested in actual discussion, would you be fabricating statistics
out of the thin air of your imagination to prop up what you believe to be true?

Putting yourself forward as an authority about something you do not believe while acting
as if others could have no knowledge or understanding of things they do not believe???

Ted01

May 14, 2022
If you were interested in actual discussion, would you be fabricating statistics
out of the thin air of your imagination to prop up what you believe to be true?
Some people tend to speak in hyperbole... almost always. But then they get upset when people misunderstand them?
And they don't even seem to realize... and would never admit to it.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
Some people tend to speak in hyperbole... almost always. But then they get upset when people misunderstand them?
I wasn't speaking in hyperbole. Sometimes people tend to bear false witness against their neighbor, but don't realize, and rarely admit it. Then they get upset when called out on it.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
I wasn't speaking in hyperbole. Sometimes people tend to bear false witness against their neighbor, but don't realize, and rarely admit it. Then they get upset when called out on it.
Well, I'd be happy to admit it, if that's the case.
But what of your "1%"... is that factual? Have you run a statistical analysis of the entire population of Earth?

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
Well, I'd be happy to admit it, if that's the case.
But what of your "1%"... is that factual? Have you run a statistical analysis of the entire population of Earth?
Less than 1% of Calvinists believe in Double (Symmetrical) Predestination. In other words, almost none believe that God predestined them to damnation and actively works to prevent them from coming to salvation. A request for clarification or more details probably would've helped, but some would just prefer to make accusations and use ad hominem arguments instead.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
A request for clarification or more details probably would've helped, but some would just prefer to make accusations and use ad hominem arguments instead.
Yes, case in point underway as we speak!

No doubt NT sees himself as faultless in the convo.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Less than 1% of Calvinists believe in Double (Symmetrical) Predestination. In other words, almost none believe that God predestined them to damnation and actively works to prevent them from coming to salvation. A request for clarification or more details probably would've helped, but some would just prefer to make accusations and use ad hominem arguments instead.
Okay... that's what you believe.
But we were talk about hyperbole vs. factual ideas... where are your facts that support this "1%"? Or are you just saying 1% in hyperbolic language?

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Hey @NightTwister are you still there!?

So, your 1%... is that fact, or hyperbole?

Still waiting...

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
In fact, God's Word tells us specifically to avoid arguments; “Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful” (2 Timothy 2:23-24).
This Scripture came to mind, and so I'm putting it out there, have a blest Wednesday everyone💕

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
In fact, God's Word tells us specifically to avoid arguments; “Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful” (2 Timothy 2:23-24).
Arguing against those who misrepresent the beliefs of a significant number of Christians isn't a "foolish or stupid" argument.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
It's a fact, but one you don't like. Moving on...
Haha... not so quick.
Can you please post your source of information? Or was I correct when I said that people who tend to use hyperbole a lot, don't like to admit it?

A little proof please, just so that we can see that it is indeed a fact and just not your opinion.