What does it mean to live holy?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 12, 2015
15 “If you love me, obey[d] my commandments.
And if this is a command rather than a promise (if you love Me, you will obey my commands), then how do you propose to obey even just the one to not murder by having anger in your heart?

Jun 16, 2018
Ahh...that did not work for me and I don't recommend it.
The harder I tried as best I could to be good, to stop murdering, to stop having fits of hurt pride at how I was treated - the worse it got for me.

I struggled to be good for many years. I never could be good. Eventually someone bumped into me and what I was carrying in my heart spilled out.
I you are seeking perfection you will not find it in this world. The scriptures are clear on this.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
Hello everyone

So what does it mean to live holy? Without holiness none shall see the Lord, so we can say that this is something that God is looking for. Is it something we are looking for? How do we go about this? What has God provided for us that we may live in a way that is holy? What say you?
Eph. 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of (Mans) works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

All of God's Work's are righteousness, they are the definition of righteousness.

Ps. 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

We find instructions on what righteousness is, not from man, or religious tradition, but from the Word of God.

1 Tim. 2:
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

These and many other scriptures seem to imply that ONLY GOD can create "Holy" and "Holiness", religious man can not.

For this reason the Word which became Flesh told Cain:

7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

And told Abraham:

1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

And as a Man this same Word said the same thing:

Matt. 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. (into a place that I will show thee)

I don't believe we can mix man's Work, with God's Work and still have "Holy".

R

Ralph-

20In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work."-2 Timothy 2:20-21

Nov 12, 2015
I you are seeking perfection you will not find it in this world. The scriptures are clear on this.
If we abide in Him we do not sin.

I don't look for perfection. I still have my moments. I look for a...consistency.
I look for abiding for longer and longer periods of time so that I don't sin.
It's a race. I look for increasing endurance.

Nov 12, 2015
We all stumble. The point is not to never stumble. The point is to get back up and start racing.

A verse says that a righteous man falls many times and gets back up many times.

Nov 12, 2015
We don't have so much concern if a baby keeps falling. We have concern if he never gets back up and continues to learn to walk and then run.

Nov 12, 2015
My heart is with those who, like me, get stuck in the foolish galatians trap of thinking they can run without the power that will make it possible.

Nov 12, 2015
You have said it!! :)
This is why I gave up and told Him if I was to be good, He would have to do it.

Cease all striving and know that I am God.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Is the best you can the same as being empowered by Christ to do all things in His name? Why did Jesus die and why was He resurrected if not to empower us to do the same works as He did. Resurrection life goes way beyond what is possible for humans with their own abiblities.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Eph. 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of (Mans) works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

All of God's Work's are righteousness, they are the definition of righteousness.

Ps. 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

We find instructions on what righteousness is, not from man, or religious tradition, but from the Word of God.

1 Tim. 2:
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

These and many other scriptures seem to imply that ONLY GOD can create "Holy" and "Holiness", religious man can not.

For this reason the Word which became Flesh told Cain:

7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

And told Abraham:

1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

And as a Man this same Word said the same thing:

Matt. 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. (into a place that I will show thee)

Exactly! :)

Nov 12, 2015
Yes! He did not die so that we could continue to not be lawabiding.
He did not die so that we could be saved while continuing to be what we were.
He did not die so that we could have abundant life way off in the future!

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Yes! He did not die so that we could continue to not be lawabiding.
He did not die so that we could be saved while continuing to be what we were.
He did not die so that we could have abundant life way off in the future!
Praise God for that! :)

Jun 16, 2018
And if this is a command rather than a promise (if you love Me, you will obey my commands), then how do you propose to obey even just the one to not murder by having anger in your heart?
Anger is works of the flesh. I never wrote the bible I am called to obey what it says to the best my ability.

Dec 9, 2017
If we live the best we can with The Lords help, perfection will be imputed/credited to us, just like everyone else who has ever had faith in God. No other way will work.

Nov 12, 2015
Anger is works of the flesh. I never wrote the bible I am called to obey what it says to the best my ability.
You are called to the obedience of trust/faith in HIM.
This is what brings victory over sin. (Not perfection, but increasing victory.)

The gospel is not to do your best to obey His commands.
The gospel is believe/have faith/trust and you will receive power for a changed life.

Nov 12, 2015

The gospel is believe/have faith/trust and you will receive power for a changed life.
To do your best to obey commands is the error of the foolish galatians who thought they could finish (by trying their best) what was begun in the Spirit with power.

Jun 16, 2018

That statement will get you in the hot house.
Hebrews 10:26 New Living Translation (NLT)
26 Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins.

Jude 3-4 New Living Translation (NLT)
The Danger of False Teachers
3 Dear friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the faith that God has entrusted once for all time to his holy people. 4 I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. The condemnation of such people was recorded long ago, for they have denied our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Nov 12, 2015
That statement will get you in the hot house.
Hebrews 10:26 New Living Translation (NLT)
26 Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins.

Jude 3-4 New Living Translation (NLT)
The Danger of False Teachers
3 Dear friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the faith that God has entrusted once for all time to his holy people. 4 I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. The condemnation of such people was recorded long ago, for they have denied our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
You think I have said men should continue deliberately sinning...?
No!
I am saying we receive power that KEEPS us from continuing on in deliberate sin!

I'm a bit flummoxed that you think I am recommending the continuation of sin...