What does 'Repent' mean ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
[continued]

Isaiah 63:11
HEB: אַיֵּ֛ה הַשָּׂ֥ם בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ אֶת־ ר֥וּחַ
NAS: His Holy Spirit in the midst of them,
KJV: his holy Spirit within him?
INT: Where put the midst Spirit his Holy
Habakkuk 2:19
HEB: ר֖וּחַ אֵ֥ין בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: breath at all inside it.
KJV: and [there is] no breath at all in the midst of it.
INT: breath and there inside
Zechariah 12:1
HEB: רֽוּחַ־ אָדָ֖ם בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃ פ
NAS: the spirit of man within him,
KJV: the spirit of man within him.
INT: the spirit of man within

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
It seems to me you are correct, Sipsey.

When I look at the listing where that word (in Isaiah 63:11) is used elsewhere (that exact word--21x), it seems to me (I could be wrong) that wherever it speaks in the PLURAL that it means "in the midst" (like, in the midst of y'all, or among y'all); but where it refers to a SINGULAR person/entity, then it means with, as in, within the person/individual (or, perhaps, an entity personified)...

bə·qir·bōw — 21 Occurrences

Genesis 24:3
HEB: אָנֹכִ֖י יוֹשֵׁ֥ב בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: of the Canaanites, among whom
KJV: of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:
INT: I live among
Exodus 3:20
HEB: אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֶֽעֱשֶׂ֖ה בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְאַחֲרֵי־ כֵ֖ן
NAS: I shall do in the midst of it; and after
KJV: which I will do in the midst thereof: and after
INT: which shall do the midst and after after that
Exodus 23:21
HEB: כִּ֥י שְׁמִ֖י בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
KJV: for my name [is] in him.
INT: since my name him
Numbers 11:4
HEB: וְהָֽאסַפְסֻף֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ הִתְאַוּ֖וּ תַּאֲוָ֑ה
NAS: who were among them had
KJV: And the mixt multitude that [was] among them fell a lusting:
INT: the rabble who were among had greedy
Numbers 11:21
HEB: אֲשֶׁ֥ר אָנֹכִ֖י בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְאַתָּ֣ה אָמַ֗רְתָּ
NAS: The people, among whom
KJV: The people, among whom I [am], [are] six
INT: after I among You have said
Numbers 14:11
HEB: אֲשֶׁ֥ר עָשִׂ֖יתִי בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: which I have performed in their midst?
KJV: which I have shewed among them?
INT: which have performed among
Deuteronomy 31:16
HEB: בָא־ שָׁ֙מָּה֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וַעֲזָבַ֕נִי וְהֵפֵר֙
NAS: of the land, into the midst of which
KJV: whither they go [to be] among them, and will forsake
INT: are going into the midst and will forsake and break
Joshua 24:5
HEB: כַּאֲשֶׁ֥ר עָשִׂ֖יתִי בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְאַחַ֖ר הוֹצֵ֥אתִי
NAS: I did in its midst; and afterward
KJV: I did among them: and afterward
INT: what did midst and afterward brought
Judges 1:29
HEB: וַיֵּ֧שֶׁב הַֽכְּנַעֲנִ֛י בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ בְּגָֽזֶר׃ פ
NAS: lived in Gezer among them.
KJV: dwelt in Gezer among them.
INT: lived the Canaanites among Gezer
Judges 1:30
HEB: וַיֵּ֤שֶׁב הַֽכְּנַעֲנִי֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וַיִּֽהְי֖וּ לָמַֽס׃
NAS: lived among them and became
KJV: dwelt among them, and became tributaries.
INT: lived the Canaanites among and became to forced
1 Samuel 25:37
HEB: וַיָּ֤מָת לִבּוֹ֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וְה֖וּא הָיָ֥ה
NAS: died within him so that he became
KJV: died within him, and he became [as] a stone.
INT: died and his heart within he became
1 Kings 3:28
HEB: חָכְמַ֧ת אֱלֹהִ֛ים בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ לַעֲשׂ֥וֹת מִשְׁפָּֽט׃
KJV: of God [was] in him, to do
INT: the wisdom of God him to administer justice
Job 20:14
HEB: מְרוֹרַ֖ת פְּתָנִ֣ים בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: To the venom of cobras within him.
KJV: [it is] the gall of asps within him.
INT: to the venom of cobras within
Psalm 109:18
HEB: וַתָּבֹ֣א כַמַּ֣יִם בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְ֝כַשֶּׁ֗מֶן בְּעַצְמוֹתָֽיו׃
NAS: And it entered into his body like water
KJV: so let it come into his bowels like water,
INT: entered water his body oil his bones
Isaiah 19:1
HEB: מִצְרַ֖יִם יִמַּ֥ס בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: will melt within them.
KJV: shall melt in the midst of it.
INT: of the Egyptians will melt within
Isaiah 19:3
HEB: רֽוּחַ־ מִצְרַ֙יִם֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וַעֲצָת֖וֹ אֲבַלֵּ֑עַ
NAS: will be demoralized within them; And I will confound
KJV: shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy
INT: the spirit of the Egyptians within their strategy will confound
Isaiah 25:11
HEB: וּפֵרַ֤שׂ יָדָיו֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ כַּאֲשֶׁ֛ר יְפָרֵ֥שׂ
NAS: out his hands in the middle of it As a swimmer
KJV: his hands in the midst of them, as he that swimmeth
INT: will spread his hands the middle after spreads
Isaiah 29:23
HEB: מַעֲשֵׂ֥ה יָדַ֛י בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ יַקְדִּ֣ישֽׁוּ שְׁמִ֑י
NAS: of My hands, in his midst, They will sanctify
KJV: of mine hands, in the midst of him, they shall sanctify
INT: the work of my hands his midst will sanctify my name
We are indeed, in agreement. Thats why I posted the other translation after consulting my go-to guy, Spiros Zodhiates.

I was going to post the Hebrew word as used and its various shades of meaning. The context of that verse also seems to affirm, in the midst.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Oops, it timed out before I got to do what I had wanted, to point out:

an example, like:

kjv - "The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it [H7130]."

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Repentance...just thinking about it.. I'm saying sorry but.. gonna stop doing my will, my way.. and follow Him.. doing His will. Getting my eyes off me and on to Him.

Vivek123

Oct 5, 2017
My understanding is that repentance simply means ' change of mind ' .
It could also be breaking frame from a current set of propositions.

Jesus gives an example of repentance being a change of mind in Mathew 21 .
28¶But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
29He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he REPENTED AND WENT.
30And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
31Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
32For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.
So we see two things . He repented ( changed his mind and went . So repenting isn't the action its the changing of mind .

Thoughts?
Agree ?
Disagree ?
agree

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
It makes no sense to you, because you are trying to insert "the natural man as being babes in Christ". I have told you before, that the natural man, before he has been regenerated, IS NOT IN CHRIST, as a babe, or as an adult. The natural man is absolutely not "in Christ" at all. The "babe in Christ" is quickened together with Christ, Eph 2:5.

I do understand, your problem, in trying to enable the natural man to be able to understand the gospel and believe, because that is the only way that you can uphold your false doctrine for man to have to do something to get saved eternally, Keep searching, but you won't find any scriptures to harmonize with your false doctrine.
Again no expounding on the passages, no context given , no explanation of what Paul is trying to say ?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
You are misunderstanding the scriptures again. When the natural man is quickened to a new spiritual life,Eph 2:1, he does not get rid of his old fleshly nature, but carries the baggage of his fleshly nature to his grave. Paul explains the warfare we have inside of us because of this, Rom 7:18.
No explanation of the verse in context of 1 corinthians?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
You are misunderstanding the scriptures again. When the natural man is quickened to a new spiritual life,Eph 2:1, he does not get rid of his old fleshly nature, but carries the baggage of his fleshly nature to his grave. Paul explains the warfare we have inside of us because of this, Rom 7:18.
yes ' fleshy nature ' = ' Natural nature ' = natural man ..He carries the baggage of his ' fleshy/ natural ( nature) man to his grave ( Rom 7 ) I agree.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
It seems to me you are correct, Sipsey.

When I look at the listing where that word (in Isaiah 63:11) is used elsewhere (that exact word--21x), it seems to me (I could be wrong) that wherever it speaks of the PLURAL that it means "in the midst" (like, in the midst of y'all, or among y'all); but where it refers to a SINGULAR person/entity, then it means "within," as in, within the person/individual (or, perhaps, an entity personified... or corporate body considered as a singular entity, perhaps, like a FLOCK)...

bə·qir·bōw — 21 Occurrences

Genesis 24:3
HEB: אָנֹכִ֖י יוֹשֵׁ֥ב בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: of the Canaanites, among whom
KJV: of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:
INT: I live among
Exodus 3:20
HEB: אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֶֽעֱשֶׂ֖ה בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְאַחֲרֵי־ כֵ֖ן
NAS: I shall do in the midst of it; and after
KJV: which I will do in the midst thereof: and after
INT: which shall do the midst and after after that
Exodus 23:21
HEB: כִּ֥י שְׁמִ֖י בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
KJV: for my name [is] in him.
INT: since my name him
Numbers 11:4
HEB: וְהָֽאסַפְסֻף֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ הִתְאַוּ֖וּ תַּאֲוָ֑ה
NAS: who were among them had
KJV: And the mixt multitude that [was] among them fell a lusting:
INT: the rabble who were among had greedy
Numbers 11:21
HEB: אֲשֶׁ֥ר אָנֹכִ֖י בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְאַתָּ֣ה אָמַ֗רְתָּ
NAS: The people, among whom
KJV: The people, among whom I [am], [are] six
INT: after I among You have said
Numbers 14:11
HEB: אֲשֶׁ֥ר עָשִׂ֖יתִי בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: which I have performed in their midst?
KJV: which I have shewed among them?
INT: which have performed among
Deuteronomy 31:16
HEB: בָא־ שָׁ֙מָּה֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וַעֲזָבַ֕נִי וְהֵפֵר֙
NAS: of the land, into the midst of which
KJV: whither they go [to be] among them, and will forsake
INT: are going into the midst and will forsake and break
Joshua 24:5
HEB: כַּאֲשֶׁ֥ר עָשִׂ֖יתִי בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְאַחַ֖ר הוֹצֵ֥אתִי
NAS: I did in its midst; and afterward
KJV: I did among them: and afterward
INT: what did midst and afterward brought
Judges 1:29
HEB: וַיֵּ֧שֶׁב הַֽכְּנַעֲנִ֛י בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ בְּגָֽזֶר׃ פ
NAS: lived in Gezer among them.
KJV: dwelt in Gezer among them.
INT: lived the Canaanites among Gezer
Judges 1:30
HEB: וַיֵּ֤שֶׁב הַֽכְּנַעֲנִי֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וַיִּֽהְי֖וּ לָמַֽס׃
NAS: lived among them and became
KJV: dwelt among them, and became tributaries.
INT: lived the Canaanites among and became to forced
1 Samuel 25:37
HEB: וַיָּ֤מָת לִבּוֹ֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וְה֖וּא הָיָ֥ה
NAS: died within him so that he became
KJV: died within him, and he became [as] a stone.
INT: died and his heart within he became
1 Kings 3:28
HEB: חָכְמַ֧ת אֱלֹהִ֛ים בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ לַעֲשׂ֥וֹת מִשְׁפָּֽט׃
KJV: of God [was] in him, to do
INT: the wisdom of God him to administer justice
Job 20:14
HEB: מְרוֹרַ֖ת פְּתָנִ֣ים בְּקִרְבּֽוֹ׃
NAS: To the venom of cobras within him.
KJV: [it is] the gall of asps within him.
INT: to the venom of cobras within
Psalm 109:18
HEB: וַתָּבֹ֣א כַמַּ֣יִם בְּקִרְבּ֑וֹ וְ֝כַשֶּׁ֗מֶן בְּעַצְמוֹתָֽיו׃
NAS: And it entered into his body like water
KJV: so let it come into his bowels like water,
INT: entered water his body oil his bones
Isaiah 19:3
HEB: רֽוּחַ־ מִצְרַ֙יִם֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ וַעֲצָת֖וֹ אֲבַלֵּ֑עַ
NAS: will be demoralized within them; And I will confound
KJV: shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy
INT: the spirit of the Egyptians within their strategy will confound
Isaiah 25:11
HEB: וּפֵרַ֤שׂ יָדָיו֙ בְּקִרְבּ֔וֹ כַּאֲשֶׁ֛ר יְפָרֵ֥שׂ
NAS: out his hands in the middle of it As a swimmer
KJV: his hands in the midst of them, as he that swimmeth
INT: will spread his hands the middle after spreads
Isaiah 29:23
HEB: מַעֲשֵׂ֥ה יָדַ֛י בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ יַקְדִּ֣ישֽׁוּ שְׁמִ֑י
NAS: of My hands, in his midst, They will sanctify
KJV: of mine hands, in the midst of him, they shall sanctify
INT: the work of my hands his midst will sanctify my name
I would call this explanation, "grasping at straws", "desperate". to make the scriptures fit your theory.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
No explanation of the verse in context of 1 corinthians?
Eph 2:1 harmonizes with 1 Cor 2:14, in that, the natural man is still dead (spiritually) in sins at the time he is quickened. By him being spiritually dead, he could not discern the things of the spirit in order to make a spiritual decision. Spiritual decision making only comes after you are born spiritually. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is given given at the time of the quickening, and spiritual faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
' fellowship in the gospel ?

Not really . it doesn't effect my theology one bit Paul really is using a non sequitur in one verse to talk about a lost man not being to understand the things of the Spirit . If Paul was randomly saying lost people cannot believe Gods revelation ( the Gospel ) then that would be something else .
The harmony of the scriptures will uphold the fact that the natural man, before he has been quickened to a spiritual life, is lost and cannot believe the spiritual gospel.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
The people in 1Cor3:1-4 did not understand those things, and they were believers/saints/members of the Church which is His body/saved persons. So it cannot be "salvation" that he could not speak with them about (they already were saved. ;) )
Yes, they were already saved. But they did not include the natural man, before he had been quickened to a spiritual life.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Yes, they were already saved. But they did not include the natural man, before he had been quickened to a spiritual life.
I think you are complicating something that God has made quite simple.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
= ) Consider the following, which I've posted before:

[quoting old post]

[quoting Gaebelein Commentary on Heb12:17]

"In Christ the believer is sanctified; as Martin Luther used to say “My holiness is in Heaven.” The exhortation here means to pursue that holiness into which grace has called us, which grace has given and for which grace gives daily power. Closely connected with this is the warning which follows in Hebrews 12:15-17. The man who falls short of the grace of God, who lacketh that grace which is in Christ Jesus, his heart not resting in Him, is a mere professing believer and Possesseth not the holiness, which grace alone can give. He is a root of bitterness and a profane, and earthly-minded person, as Esau was who sold his birthright.

"(The time came when he regretted that for a paltry gratification he forfeited his right. Afterwards, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected. For though he sought carefully with tears to change his father’s mind he found (in Isaac) no place for change of mind. This seems to be the meaning of this difficult passage, Esau is never represented as an apostle [<---I think that is a typo, and that he means "an apostate," as he uses later], as one who professed and appeared to be a believer, and then fell away. So (apart from other reasons) the meaning of the apostle cannot be that Esau, as an apostate, was not able to find repentance. But we know that, notwithstanding his vehement and urgent entreaties, Isaac could not change his mind, or repent him of what he had done in conferring the blessing on Jacob, which God approved of” Saphir.)"

[end quoting Gaebelein]

So, in view of the above explanation on that text, consider:

"he was rejected" - G593 - apodokimazó (from 575 /apó, "away from" and 1381 /dokimázō, "to prove, test"),
...Esau was "rejected" in the sense that his father Isaac could not change his mind, or repent of him what he had already done in conferring the blessing on Jacob, which God approved of. I just point this out because, here, in this example, the idea being conveyed on the surface I believe means he was rejected from Isaac conferring the blessing on him/Esau.

[end quoting old post; bold and underline mine; bracketed insert mine; parentheses original]
Scripture proves scripture. I do not rely upon other men's commentaries. They are why we have so many divisions in understanding the meaning of the scriptures.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I think you are complicating something that God has made quite simple.
God makes things clear with harmonizing the scriptures. If you do not consider all scriptures pertaining to a certain subject in order to understand the meaning of the subject, you only have a partial truth.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
God makes things clear with harmonizing the scriptures. If you do not consider all scriptures pertaining to a certain subject in order to understand the meaning of the subject, you only have a partial truth.
Well, I’m glad some do, and I wish more did.

Do you think an evangelist or a theologian has the better chance of presenting the gospel to the unsaved?

Mar 28, 2016
Repentance...just thinking about it.. I'm saying sorry but.. gonna stop doing my will, my way.. and follow Him.. doing His will. Getting my eyes off me and on to Him.
Exactly, repentance is a work. We are not saved by any work we could do .Natural man has no power. They are dead faithless "not asleep" in our trespasses and sin.

God who always does the first work repents us as he both wills and empowers us to do his good pleasure .

According Jerimiah there are two turnings .First God turns us giving us the hearing of faith (understanding) and then after being turned we in turn to Him and do the first works of His Spirit that works in us. Believe God ! Our first love or experience of Him not seen. . . making it all possible

If there is no hearing of his faith giving us his understanding that works in earthen bodies of death. Then there is no life ..
He called back the Galatians that acted foolishly. No hope for a fool who is not given the power of faith to repent.

I am not prompting foolishness.

Note . . . Faith = POWER to hear God's understanding not that of our own thoughts and ways .
Note . . . Law = DEATH

Galatians 3 King James Version (KJV) O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Eph 2:1 harmonizes with 1 Cor 2:14, in that, the natural man is still dead (spiritually) in sins at the time he is quickened. By him being spiritually dead, he could not discern the things of the spirit in order to make a spiritual decision. Spiritual decision making only comes after you are born spiritually. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is given given at the time of the quickening, and spiritual faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
Yes we can pull one verse from here , another from over there to make the bible ' harmonise to fit our presups

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The harmony of the scriptures will uphold the fact that the natural man, before he has been quickened to a spiritual life, is lost and cannot believe the spiritual gospel.
The jws can ' harmonise the bible to fit their doctrines also .

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I think you are saying that Paul was speaking to believers/saved persons, here, (I agree) but note that he is saying this to them:

"1 And I, brothers, was not able to speak to you as to spiritual, but as fleshly—as to infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food, for not yet were you able. In fact, now you are still not able, 3 for you are still fleshly. [...] are you not fleshly, and are walking according to man?"

[...that is, as unsaved men do... i.e. the natural man, before salvation; he's not saying they ARE "natural [/unsaved] man," he's saying they are WALKING "according to man"]