What does "the coming of the Lord" in the NT refer to?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 24, 2022
With all due respect, your understanding seems to be lacking some understanding. Think through paralleling a Christian walk with the Israelites walk from the time of how and when they were saved from their past enslavements, and throughout their time in the desert that followed. Many were slaughtered by God in the desert because of their unfaithfulness, even though they had been 'saved'. When you've had time to deeply dwell on that, I would be pleased to learn of your insights. Thank you.
That’s because many are called, but few are chosen. It was a MIXED multitude coming out of Egypt to begin with. Bringing them out of Egypt was one thing, bringing Egypt out of them was another. Those Israelites were simply backsliding, that happens to most Christians as well, that’s the entire Ephesus church as their love for Christ grew cold. Nevertheless, remember our identity in Christ and stop using any kind of idolatry to numb our soul, it can be overcome. You know, Moses was barred from the Promised Land, but guess what, he got a peak at it, that’s what I was talking about.

C

ChristianTonyB

That’s because many are called, but few are chosen. It was a MIXED multitude coming out of Egypt to begin with. Bringing them out of Egypt was one thing, bringing Egypt out of them was another. Those Israelites were simply backsliding, that happens to most Christians as well, that’s the entire Ephesus church as their love for Christ grew cold. Nevertheless, remember our identity in Christ and stop using any kind of idolatry to numb our soul, it can be overcome. You know, Moses was barred from the Promised Land, but guess what, he got a peak at it, that’s what I was talking about.
"Nevertheless, remember our identity in Christ and stop using any kind of idolatry to numb our soul, it can be overcome."..... yes, providing we respond favourably to God's checks on our bad behaviour.

He will try and stop us wandering off track, but if we don't heed His warnings then eventually He will stand aside and allow us to wander off, even towards our oblivion.

If an initial belief is not partnered with faithfulness (faithful works and the developing of godly character), it does become dull and may eventually be snuffed out. So we need to persist in our goodness here and now, not only that our lights may shine brightly in this present immoral world, but also that we may have a reservoir of faith and moral courage that will enable us to withstand any challenges to our faithfullness towards Christ in the future too, even if they should come thick and fast, and be unrelenting!

Feb 24, 2022
OK, let's just move beyond all your ad hominem. It doesn't help you in any way.

OK, let's just move beyond all your hyper-sensitivities too. This isn't personal for me, and it shouldn't be for you either.

I challenge you to provide ANY post of mine where I used "nasty words". otoh, I could post pages of YOUR "nasty words" to me.

Here we go again. ad hominem and lies.

The Bible actually COMMANDS believers to be "filled with the Spirit" and to "STOP grieving/quenching the Spirit" and you claim this is a "circular argument"?????? Are you serious? All you are doing with these kinds of questions is revealing your ignorance of Scripture.

I sure did, because there was NO kind of explanation. All you give are vague statements, but NO explanations. Do you know what the word "explanaton" means?

What bothers me is failure to provide an explanation and then the poster claims they did.

So now you're "watching me"? How do you do that?

It's the same difference, which you admit that you aren't aware of.

I never gave my answer because it didn't appear you were interested in one.

The "indwelling" is when the Holy Spirit comes to RESIDE in the believer. It is called the "sealing of the Spirit" in Eph 1:13. This indwelling is permanent, since Jesus said the Spirit would be with us FOR EVER.

The "filling" of the Spirit is when the believer is IN fellowship with the Lord through confession of sins (1 John 1:9) and asking God to be filled with the Spirit. Since this is a command, and therefore, God's direct will for the believer, praying for God's will regarding the filling of the Spirit will be answered when the believer is IN fellowship with the Lord. 1 John 5:14,15

You are encouraged to look up the verses I cite and see for yourself where I get my information, so if you disagree with anything I've posted, please address whatever verse you think doesn't say what I claim it says.

btw, I already explained all this in another thread and gave you the title and post number, which you just dismissed and claimed that I didn't explain anything. If you don't think what I've just explained above, you really do not understand the meaning of words.

You really have a problem with ad hominem. Actually, believers who are filled with the Spirit do NOT lower themselves to ad hominem.

Not possible, since you have already made it clear that you don't even know the difference between indwelling and filling.

What you STILL don't understand is that "receiving the Spirit" isn't filling but indwelling.

Look in mirror. That is all you've been doing.

Wrong. I don't deal in doses of medicine. But I do call out when others get personal like yourself and use virtrol.

I suggest we just cease posting to each other. It is clear that your mind is too tightly closed to let anything in.

You've admitted that you take everything personally and you are WAY too hypersensitive.

Not a good mix when trying to communicate with you.
Oh boy, aren't you a stringent fuddy duddy legalist. You deserved to be called a Pharisee 'cause that's exactly who you are. The last time I checked, all of your quotes are from books that are titled EPISTLES, aka, letters, and in those letters Paul always spoke in a pleading and encouraging way like "I beseech you" or "I urge you", not a single time did Paul - or Peter, or John ever get bossy with anything like "I COMMAND you to do this and that!" If those were commands, then answer the questions that Paul himself asked in 1 Cor 1:13 - "Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?"

You're so stuck in your doctrine that you've got the basics wrong. The only commands are the ten commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai, which were summed up into two great commandments - "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind", and "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Those were not even originally from Jesus, but all the way back to Deut. 6:5 and Lev. 19:18 in the Torah. Everything else is centered around these two great commandments - INCLUDING Esp 4:30 and 1 Thess 5:19!!! If you really treat them as commandments instead of holding onto your old possessions like the rich young ruler, then the Holy Spirit will help you and guide you, giving you the mental and physical strength you need to follow them, because that strength can never come from yourself. You, however, have ignored the real commands from the Lord and superceded them with a piece of advise from Paul - who was but a humble servant of the Lord. With this kind of attitude emanating from your continuous verbal abuse, though, you have no spirit and you deserve no spirit.

Jan 31, 2021
Oh boy, aren't you a stringent fuddy duddy legalist.
I guess you just can't resist all this name calling. No fruit of the Spirit, I see.

You deserved to be called a Pharisee 'cause that's exactly who you are. The last time I checked, all of your quotes are from books that are titled EPISTLES, aka, letters, and in those letters Paul always spoke in a pleading and encouraging way like "I beseech you" or "I urge you", not a single time did Paul - or Peter, or John ever get bossy with anything like "I COMMAND you to do this and that!"
What you seem to be totally unaware of (ignorant) is that in the Greek commands are seen in the MOOD. It is the IMPERATIVE mood.

Eph 5:18 is a command because the mood is the imperative. So are Eph 4:30 and 1 Thess 5:19 in the imperative mood.

So, when Paul said "be filled with the Spirit", "stop grieving" and "stop quenching the Spirit", all of these are in the imperative mood.

Therefore, they ARE commands from Paul.

If those were commands, then answer the questions that Paul himself asked in 1 Cor 1:13 - "Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?"
Neither question here is a command. Do you understand the difference between a command and a question.

Paul's questions demanded a "NO" as the answer.

You're so stuck in your doctrine that you've got the basics wrong.
you've never shown that.

The only commands are the ten commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai
Well, given your lack of understanding of the imperative mood in the Greek, you don't believe there are any commands in the NT.

And you don't know HOW to be filled with the Spirit, so you just outright deny that being filled is a command. How easy.

Feb 24, 2022
I guess you just can't resist all this name calling. No fruit of the Spirit, I see.
Lord Jesus himself called the scribes and pharisees all kinds of ugly names, did he not bear the fruit of the Spirit?

What you seem to be totally unaware of (ignorant) is that in the Greek commands are seen in the MOOD. It is the IMPERATIVE mood.

Eph 5:18 is a command because the mood is the imperative. So are Eph 4:30 and 1 Thess 5:19 in the imperative mood.

So, when Paul said "be filled with the Spirit", "stop grieving" and "stop quenching the Spirit", all of these are in the imperative mood.

Therefore, they ARE commands from Paul.

Neither question here is a command. Do you understand the difference between a command and a question.

Paul's questions demanded a "NO" as the answer.

you've never shown that.

Well, given your lack of understanding of the imperative mood in the Greek, you don't believe there are any commands in the NT.

And you don't know HOW to be filled with the Spirit, so you just outright deny that being filled is a command. How easy.
You're the Ignoramus who can't see the forest for the tree and can't see the whole picture for the puzzle pieces. This is the biggest pitfall of this common reductionist approach, that you just dig deeper and deeper into a few verses while being blinded to see how those verses fit into the general theme of the book or their root in the OT, and as a result, you're just quoting them out of context.

The bottom line is, Jesus is KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS, period. No servant is greater than his master. If you insist that those are "commands", then you're treating Paul as your commander, and your answer to his questions in 1 Cor 1:13 would be yes, no matter how you deny it.

Jan 31, 2021
You're the Ignoramus who can't see the forest for the tree and can't see the whole picture for the puzzle pieces. This is the biggest pitfall of this common reductionist approach, that you just dig deeper and deeper into a few verses while being blinded to see how those verses fit into the general theme of the book or their root in the OT, and as a result, you're just quoting them out of context./QUOTE]
There is no reason to even try to reason with you, given your extreme hostility and bias.

Feb 24, 2022
Then don't, keep chanting Eph 4:30 and 1 Thess 5:19 and see if your VAIN REPETITION can summon the spirit of God.

Jan 31, 2021
Then don't, keep chanting Eph 4:30 and 1 Thess 5:19 and see if your VAIN REPETITION can summon the spirit of God.
Does Scripture make you uncomfortable or something? Since you cannot explain how the indwelling and filling are different, and you don't even believe that, it appears that the verses that command believers to stop grieving and quenching the Spirit probably make you uncomfortable.

What else shall I conclude?

And if you think that repetition of verses that command believers a specific action is "vain repetition", I suggest the problem is on your side.