What happened to the fasting craze

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Burn1986

Well-known member
Mar 4, 2024
1,514
400
83
There was a time several years ago, when fasting was in the forefront. Pastors and YouTubers were making all kinds of videos about fasting. What happened to it all? I suspect that scores of followers fasted with wrong motives, hidden sins, spiritual errors and not only received no answer but possibly angered God in the process. Pretty sure that would explain to silence about it today. If you look on YouTube for fasting, most of the videos are 5+ years old. Humorous. 😎
 
I don't go on you-tube looking for the latest in church trends, but they probably exhausted the topic once some foolish person died fasting when they weren't supposed to.
 
Today's Church is too sophisticated to indulge in things like prayer & fasting.
It's an individual thing. I did fast twice a week for some years. I don't know if it was of any spiritual worth or not. I'm on heart meds now and fasting is not such a good idea. Derek Prince had the most comprehensive explanation that I've ever come across. Worth reading for those interested.
 
You not supposed to tell other people you are fasting and make a big deal of it ie. wash your face, go out as normal, God knows because you told Him.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HealthAndHappiness
There was a time several years ago, when fasting was in the forefront. Pastors and YouTubers were making all kinds of videos about fasting. What happened to it all? I suspect that scores of followers fasted with wrong motives, hidden sins, spiritual errors and not only received no answer but possibly angered God in the process. Pretty sure that would explain to silence about it today. If you look on YouTube for fasting, most of the videos are 5+ years old. Humorous. 😎
Are you really expecting a considered response or just passing a humourous observation
Either way is cool by me
 
There was a time several years ago, when fasting was in the forefront. Pastors and YouTubers were making all kinds of videos about fasting. What happened to it all? I suspect that scores of followers fasted with wrong motives, hidden sins, spiritual errors and not only received no answer but possibly angered God in the process. Pretty sure that would explain to silence about it today. If you look on YouTube for fasting, most of the videos are 5+ years old. Humorous. 😎
as for me, i'll fast when totally retired. in the mean time, i'm too busy & active to fast. need energy all the time.
 
as for me, i'll fast when totally retired. in the mean time, i'm too busy & active to fast. need energy all the time.

I struggle with productivity if I fast as well. I have kids to manage.
It's kind of an excuse as you can see.
 
Matthew 6:16-18 - “And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
___________

If fasting is done as the above Scripture indicates you'll never know of it, but the Father will.

Any "fasting fad" would have been something of this world and not of God, IMO.

I think it is Michele Bachmann who does a fast each year.


Again, I think think she holds a 40 day fast each year and invites anyone and everyone to participate. There's someplace online where you can add your name.

While I won't judge the event, neither would I ever participate.

When I fast it's between me and God.
 
Matthew 6:16-18 - “And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
___________

If fasting is done as the above Scripture indicates you'll never know of it, but the Father will.

Any "fasting fad" would have been something of this world and not of God, IMO.

I think it is Michele Bachmann who does a fast each year.


Again, I think think she holds a 40 day fast each year and invites anyone and everyone to participate. There's someplace online where you can add your name.

While I won't judge the event, neither would I ever participate.

When I fast it's between me and God.

I think that passage is about the heart. If you fast together as a form of encouragement or support. Kind of like a spotter while lifting weights its fine. It's not to boast; that's not good. I had a group fast during a small group study session where we all fasted and broke fast together for a meal.