What heaven is referred to in Revelation 12:7?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ric2019

Apr 2, 2019
The Apostle Paul refers to 3 heavens in one of his visions.

2 Corinthians 12:2-4 (NASB) I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a man was caught up to the third heaven. And I know how such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows— was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.

According to Paul there are three heavens, so there must be a first and second heaven.

In looking at many Bible verses (too many to list here), the word heaven is used to describe at least three different places.

1. The first heaven is earth’s atmosphere.

Deuteronomy 11:11 (NASB) - 11 "But the land into which you are about to cross to possess it, a land of hills and valleys, drinks water from the rain of heaven,

1 Kings 8:35 (NASB) - 35 "When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain, because they have sinned against You, and they pray toward this place and confess Your name and turn from their sin when You afflict them,

Isaiah 55:10 (NASB) - 10 "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater;

Rain and snow are clear references to the earth's atmosphere.

2. The second heaven is interplanetary and interstellar space.

Genesis 15:5 (NASB) 5 And He took him outside and said, "Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."

Psalm 8:3 (NASB) 3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;
Isaiah 13:10 (NASB) 10 For the stars of heaven and their constellations Will not flash forth their light; The sun will be dark when it rises And the moon will not shed its light.

The stars are constellations are clear references to interplanetary and interstellar space.

3. The third heaven is the abode or dwelling place of God (this could also be Paradise referred to in 2 Corinthians 12:4). Note that man who was caught up to heaven was also identified as the same man who was caught up to Paradise.

1 Kings 8:30 (NASB) 30 Listen to the supplication of Your servant and of Your people Israel when they pray toward this place; hear in heaven Your dwelling place; hear and forgive.

Matthew 6:9 (NASB) 9 Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.

Some believe that the third heaven is not an actual physical realm, such as the first and second heaven but the third heaven may be a spiritual realm or another dimension.

In the war against Michael and his angels, it appears that Satan may have had access to the third heaven. In Job 1, Satan (along with other angels) presents himself before God and accuses Job of fearing God because of God’s goodness to him. Presumably, this takes place in the third heaven, the abode of God also referred to as the highest heavens.

Deuteronomy 10:14 (NASB) Behold, to the LORD your God belong heaven and the highest heavens, the earth and all that is in it.
Once defeated (Revelation 12:8) Satan and his followers were thrown out from the third heaven, the presence of God. Although, their temporary dominion over the second heaven (interplanetary and interstellar space) and the first heaven (earth's atmosphere) continues.

Ephesians 6:12 (NASB) 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Heavenly places could be a reference to the first heaven or second heaven or both.

It is interesting to note that the concept of multiple heavens is not unique to Christianity; there are non-canonical Jewish writings and Mormon writings that also refer to multiple heavens.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Whichever "heaven" he is cast out from, it says he and his angels are cast "unto the earth" (vv.9,12). I believe (when that takes place in the future [as I see it]) that this means he (and they) will then be limited to that sphere (where they are "cast unto" [i.e. the earth])... at least for the "A SHORT TIME" that verse 12 also refers to, which I believe is the "1260-days / "time, times, and half a time" [parallel to the time period mentioned in Daniel 12:6-7, 7:25, and others: the second half of the future, specific, limited time period [7-yrs total] leading UP TO Christ's Second Coming to the earth, which "7-yrs" I believe is what is being referred to where the phrase "IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]" is used: Rev1:1/22:6, Lk18:8[chpt17-end] "avenge IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]," and Romans 16:20 "shall bruise Satan under YOUR feet IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]" [<--this one speaking to/for/about "the Church which is His body" in/from a distinct LOCATION, at the time, whereas the other two references are what will unfold upon the earth during that time-frame]).

So, if he is cast "unto the earth" (and limited to that sphere, as I believe), then "which heaven" could possibly be the options to choose from, in this case?

[P.S. in my own study of Job 1 & 2, I believe (due to the phrasing of several certain verses) that the LOCATION/setting of that took place "on the earth" rather than "up in heaven"... one small example is, Satan's response to God's question in 1:7. People tend to insert a couple more words, and an idea not actually found in his response: In response to God's Q, "Whence comest thou?," he doesn't answer with "FROM THE EARTH" as many suppose him to have said. But there are other reasons, from this portion of the text (chpts 1 & 2)... this is just a small sampling]

EDIT: I see you're fairly new... welcome! :)