What if you die before water baptism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
One does need to repent...change direction...and believe. As part of repentance you will no doubt confess. But we don't need to continually repent because our hearts have been made new and we are already on board with team God. However, we are still prone to wander into sin and darkness, and confession will restore us to the light.
well I believe the lords prayer is a daily renewing of the mind.

And I believe the lord likes to examine your heart to see if your right or wrong.

So even if your wrong to repent for something, I don't suppose the lord would mind searching your heart.

And I would imagine the lord could listen to this song all day long 😊

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
If you say so.

But in my fathers house there is many mansions, and I suspect and hope I would be given a room well away from you.

I say this, because I have to believe when you speak, you should be walking in spirit. Well at least some of the time.

But yet all you have done for the last month is complain, when speaking to me, or speaking about me. So your spirit must like complaining and finding fault.

I would imagine even in heaven then, there must be complaining, as you seem to like complaining,

Complaining about nothing is a sign of madness. And pettiness.

Complaint about something important has its merits, and I would imagine this type of complaining happens in heaven.

So you will probably get your heavenly wish to complain in heaven.

But I personaly believe God probably puts the petty complainers in different mansions, at least I would hope so. 😊

And he probably puts the worth while complainers together.

As you would not want people behaving like Goats and sheep in heaven would you, that would be a bit silly. Have a great day 👍
What you might see as “complaining” might be a sign of you being unable to change.
If you tell me something reasonable in a manner I can understand, I will try to change too.

I mean, in regards to Salvation alone, I do disagree with people here but I understand what they’re saying and for a few of them, I really appreciate their posts and they make me think.
So, as I told you, I like some of your ideas and would like to discuss them with you when I see them, but I don’t think we can communicate effectively.
This could be for many reasons. Cultural, temperament or character. So sometimes, people are not compatible in communication. I mentioned the repelling of magnets earlier in another post.

I also have to say that this post is very well written and I thank you for putting an effort here.

God bless and have a great day.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
What you might see as “complaining” might be a sign of you being unable to change.
If you tell me something reasonable in a manner I can understand, I will try to change too.

I mean, in regards to Salvation alone, I do disagree with people here but I understand what they’re saying and for a few of them, I really appreciate their posts and they make me think.
So, as I told you, I like some of your ideas and would like to discuss them with you when I see them, but I don’t think we can communicate effectively.
This could be for many reasons. Cultural, temperament or character. So sometimes, people are not compatible in communication. I mentioned the repelling of magnets earlier in another post.

I also have to say that this post is very well written and I thank you for putting an effort here.

Psalm 23

King James Version

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Many have yet to learn that Peter made some stupid mistakes in his early years of leadership!
he made quite a few.... Even the great Paul was needing correction at least once...

Galatians 2:11-13​
Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was to be blamed;
for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came,
he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision. And the rest of
the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy.

The Bible recorded some of Peter's mistakes to tell us not to feel bad when we find our self
doing something that is an error. That we should realize it can happen to anyone of us.

grace and peace ..............
To imply that Peter made a mistake commanding water baptism in the name of Jesus is nonsense. It was Peter who Jesus entrusted with the key(S) to the kingdom. One of those keys is water baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of sin. (Acts 2:36-38) The Apostle Paul was still water baptizing people in the name of Jesus over 25 years after Peter first introduced it at Pentecost. (Acts 19:1-6) Jesus prophesied it begin in Jerusalem and be carried into all nations. (Luke 24:47)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
You are correct that Acts 10 (Household of Cornelius) and Acts 19 (Paul and Believers) is "flipped" which means God wants all Believers to be water baptized but Salvation and the Holy Spirit baptism is NOT dependent on the timing of water baptism.

Acts 10 - Gentile Believers received Holy Spirit baptism then, water baptism.
Acts 19 - Believers that were NOT at Pentacost believed in Jesus Christ and were water baptized but, had not received the Holy Spirit baptism yet... until Paul layed his hands on them and prayed.
The account also reveals the necessity of being water baptized correctly. Although the group had already been water baptized by John. They had to be rebaptized in water in the name of the Lord Jesus. The way in which water baptism was administered was modified to include the name of Jesus after His death, burial and resurrection. (Acts 2:38) Jesus prophesied concerning this:

"And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." Luke 24:46-47

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I feel a need to elaborate.....

Water = Baptism for the Body
Holy Spirit = Baptism for the Spirit
Fire = Baptism for the Soul (mind, will, emotions)

I am only one person but 3 parts... body, soul, and spirt. Each part of me goes through a baptism.
Brings to mind something the Apostle Paul said "... I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thess 5:23

His prayer makes it clear people can be held accountable for error in one or more aspects of their being; spirit, soul and body.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023

Well thanks for the compliment 😋

I wrote it all without using spell checker 👍

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
"But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him." Luke 7:30

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God." Mark 16:15-19

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
So the thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't go to paradise because he wasn't baptized in water?

Read this carefully...

Romans 6:4-5, "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his."

Clearly water baptism is symbolic. Nobody is literally "buried with him through baptism into death" nor have we literally "been united with him in a death like his". It is a symbolic death and a symbolic resurrection.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
So the thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't go to paradise because he wasn't baptized in water?

Read this carefully...

Romans 6:4-5, "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his."

Clearly water baptism is symbolic. Nobody is literally "buried with him through baptism into death" nor have we literally "been united with him in a death like his". It is a symbolic death and a symbolic resurrection.
So Paul didn't actually mean what he said in the verse 3 of that scripture? Or, what he revealed in Col. 2:12?

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." Rom. 6:3-4

"Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;" Col 2:12-13

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Nope. Water baptism has nothing to do with saving anyone. It is a sign AFTERWARDS that the saved Believer is now in covenant with Jesus Christ because they believe in and have received the Blood and Body of Jesus Christ to save them.

Water Baptism is a sign that the Believer is joined with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection of the Body. Our spirit receives God's Holy Spirit and now the Holy Spirit with God's Word is restoring our soul - our mind, will and emotions will eventually a line with God's. We will be just like Jesus Christ in spirit, soul and body.
The idea that water baptism is symbolic is found no where in scripture. However, scripture does reveal it's purpose is for remission of sin and made possible by Jesus. Evidence of this truth is found in the Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, and Epistles of Paul.

Paul gave precise details concerning the reality of what occurs when a person places their trust in Jesus and obeys His command to be baptized. People are buried with Jesus, clearly a spiritual reality, wherein there sins are remitted/destroyed. (Rom. 6:3-6, and Col. 2:11-13)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
A person must believe to be saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."
And be baptized according to Jesus. (Mark 16:15-16)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Nope. Cornelius and his whole household received the Holy Spirit BEFORE any of them were water baptized.
All detailed conversion accounts reveal both water and Spirit are involved in the NT rebirth. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Peter was at Cornelius' household...

Acts 10:44-45, "While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days."

Notice that they received the Holy Spirit first, then were baptized in water afterwards.
Note the connection of the name and the commandment given. (Acts 43, 48) Those who believe in Jesus will receive remission of sins THROUGH HIS NAME.

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins...And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord."

This is a direct parallel to, "...be baptized EVERYONE of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin... (Acts 2:38)