what is a Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 26, 2017
I have been reading the Bible and cannot seem to connect a lot of so called Christian faiths with the Biblical version of being a Christian.

Could some knowledgeable person tell me what it is to be a Christian according to Bible principles?

If you do tell me, are you prepared for me to ask questions on your answer?

Some authorities say that there are around 40,000 Christian religions in the world, and there are also many denominations of those religions. My odd mind tells me there can only be one truth, one truth to any question, even if it is not about ones spiritual journey. I know God gave man the right to choice, and God even gave man the choice to invent his own religion, but that does not say that any "choice" is the truth, does it? and if yes, show me where the Bible supports that idea, please.

Dec 19, 2009
Welcome to Christian Chat, Bronson. Life and spirituality do have their complications. Answers aren’t always easy. I do have more respect for those who respect the Lord’s commandments than those who don’t.

W

wwjd_kilden

Well...

A Christian is by definition a follower of Christ.
So for me, the minimum requirement is faith that Jesus came to earth, died for our sins, and rose again.
(There is an alarming number of people who claim to be "Christians" yet doubt or deny this)

It should also imply following the two commandments that Jesus said sums up the law:
- Loving God
- Loving our "neighbour"

T

terry_newyork_usa

Someone who: Repents, Believes, Receives and important, Follows Jesus Christ.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
I have been reading the Bible and cannot seem to connect a lot of so called Christian faiths with the Biblical version of being a Christian.

My odd mind tells me there can only be one truth, one truth to any question, even if it is not about ones spiritual journey. I know God gave man the right to choice, and God even gave man the choice to invent his own religion, but that does not say that any "choice" is the truth, does it? and if yes, show me where the Bible supports that idea, please.
As a new Christian I had a 1000+1 questions, and then I read Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God." As you continue to read the bible God will reveal the answers to your questions. Quote: "He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6. Welcome to ChrstianChat.

J

joefizz

Welcome here you can discuss with bible smart people and possibly make new friends, hope you like it here!
very good question also,because I myself have been a little at ends with calling myself a "Christian" in the past because it sounds like a simple label,and I really just consider myself a devout servant of God,and saying I am a "Christian" does not add or take away anything from me spiritually,so I'm ok with being called a "Christian" though in my view it is just a simple title,though as to where the name comes from many can tell you here about the history of whom were the first Christians as well as where the name "Christian" comes from(especially after me posting my view on this again lol)like...
"Ugly"comes to mind first I'd say because he is very detailed and accurate in telling the bible's history on Christianity,though I'm sure others have very good views too,hope you get some "good" answers!!!!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello Bronson, welcome to CC! I hope you enjoy your time with us :)
welcome.gif
Asking such a question like this may be better posed in the BDF (Bible Discussion Forum), though newcomers are often cautioned against going there for various reasons, especially if you are new to, or weak, in your faith. If you think of your being Christian as being similar to you having a relationship with someone (which it is :)) then you may better understand how so many people have such varying beliefs, for each person's relationship to God is as unique as your relationship with one person can be quite different than another person's relationship with that same person. In fact you may both know the same person quite well but have very different beliefs and experiences regarding them. The Bible is the final authority when it comes to what is written, and yet people still come to different conclusions and have different understandings of what is written. The important thing is that you believe based on what the Holy Spirit of God reveals to you.

Jul 26, 2017
Hello Bronson, welcome to CC! I hope you enjoy your time with us :)
View attachment 172468
Asking such a question like this may be better posed in the BDF (Bible Discussion Forum), though newcomers are often cautioned against going there for various reasons, especially if you are new to, or weak, in your faith. If you think of your being Christian as being similar to you having a relationship with someone (which it is :)) then you may better understand how so many people have such varying beliefs, for each person's relationship to God is as unique as your relationship with one person can be quite different than another person's relationship with that same person. In fact you may both know the same person quite well but have very different beliefs and experiences regarding them. The Bible is the final authority when it comes to what is written, and yet people still come to different conclusions and have different understandings of what is written. The important thing is that you believe based on what the Holy Spirit of God reveals to you.
I think that when you go up the "person Ladder" and end up with the last person being God, that you have nowhere else to go. You can't have different relationships with the top man on the ladder. If God had 40,000 different interpretations he would not be the top man. The only way God is top man is by having one truth, one set of rules and perfect love from his subjects.

In this scenario, if one does not want to be on the ladder, trying to find God, they will fall off and have to start again.

NOTE: when I say top man, it is in a metaphorical manner.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Could some knowledgeable person tell me what it is to be a Christian according to Bible principles?

Some authorities say that there are around 40,000 Christian religions in the world, and there are also many denominations of those religions. My odd mind tells me there can only be one truth, one truth to any question, even if it is not about ones spiritual journey. I know God gave man the right to choice, and God even gave man the choice to invent his own religion, but that does not say that any "choice" is the truth, does it? and if yes, show me where the Bible supports that idea, please.
In the simplest terms i can state::

Christians are people who believe Jesus and trust in the atonement Jesus secured for the forgiveness of their sins by His death on the cross..

There is only one truth..

Jul 26, 2017
I would really like to use the scriptures and by doing so, discount those that cannot and do not attain the Christian truth and ethic.

It will be hard line and confronting but wouldn't it be worthwhile to pull 40,000 different "Christian Creeds" back to one truth.

Question 1: Can you inculcate pagan rites and rituals into Christian faith?

Question 2: How can idolatry be shown to exist in the world of Christendom? And is Idolatry a Christian concept.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I would really like to use the scriptures and by doing so, discount those that cannot and do not attain the Christian truth and ethic.

It will be hard line and confronting but wouldn't it be worthwhile to pull 40,000 different "Christian Creeds" back to one truth.

Question 1: Can you inculcate pagan rites and rituals into Christian faith?
No Christians should avoid pagan rituals

Question 2: How can idolatry be shown to exist in the world of Christendom? And is Idolatry a Christian concept.
I cannot be done justly..

And Idolarty is a Biblical concept which is therefore Christian..

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Brother Bronson, this is what religion truly is!!( James 1:27!!) SO!!! How does one look to keep themselves unstained by the world? First! Our words as a new creature in Christ must change!( Rom 12:1-2) ( James 3:1-18) A very fine study!! Next, strict discipline, and believe you me if you are really serious it will take strict discipline!( 1 Cor 9:23-27!)

As a real believer now you know the large difference between a person who calls themselves a Christian and one who is a true believer! A true believer does not measure himself, or herself by another,but rather by examining himself or herself daily to see whether they themselves are in the faith!(2 Cor 13:5)and ( matt 7:1-5!!) A real believer does not believe in what a person says always,but rather in what one does!( james 1:22)

For it is by the fruit which causes one to wish to partake or not to.( John 15:1-8!!!!) The true believer is not just a common person any longer, but rather a very soldier for our Jesus! ( 2 Tim Chapter 1-6) This my brother is only the beginning of what I could say to you,but rest assured it is a very fine beginning!!

A soldier conquers!!! He or she conquers there emotions and feeling, they conquer worry and fear and doubt! They do this because rather then being convicted anymore, they have rather become convinced!!( Rom 8:31-39!!!) verse 38! And from this we mature in both grace to others,and knowledge for us through our Jesus and his very WORD! (1 Cor 1:30-31) and 2 Peter 3:18)

I am 33 years and some months old in the Lord now brother,i am sure not perfect yet!!( Phil 3:12-14) BUT I sure do know his Word and have his wisdom according to his Word! You can bear witness yourself as you read the scriptures I have presented to you! One last point!

If you always wish to stay in the very will of God daily,then you will stay thankful daily!!( 1 Thess 5:18!!!) I cannot tell you just how much this has helped me in my walk brother! In the beginning of ones walk you will feel Jesus a lot,both from his Word you read daily and by example or events in ones own life. And then it happens bro!!

Prayer seem to bounce off walls,our feeling and flesh emotions look to retake our mindset,and we wonder where Jesus has gone! He is not far brother,he is just hiding!!!( Isaiah 45:15!!) That is because we forgot something!!! We must learn how to wait!!( ( Isaiah 40:28-31!!!) SEEK and ye shall find!!( matt 7:7!!) Jesus just wants more of what seems so hard for most believers!!! YOUR TIME!

Understand this through Holy Spirit( 1 John 2:27) and you truly own the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven itself!!( 2 Peter 1:3-11!!!!!) Blessing bro!

Jul 26, 2017
Brother Bronson, this is what religion truly is!!( James 1:27!!) SO!!! How does one look to keep themselves unstained by the world? First! Our words as a new creature in Christ must change!( Rom 12:1-2) ( James 3:1-18) A very fine study!! Next, strict discipline, and believe you me if you are really serious it will take strict discipline!( 1 Cor 9:23-27!)

As a real believer now you know the large difference between a person who calls themselves a Christian and one who is a true believer! A true believer does not measure himself, or herself by another,but rather by examining himself or herself daily to see whether they themselves are in the faith!(2 Cor 13:5)and ( matt 7:1-5!!) A real believer does not believe in what a person says always,but rather in what one does!( james 1:22)

For it is by the fruit which causes one to wish to partake or not to.( John 15:1-8!!!!) The true believer is not just a common person any longer, but rather a very soldier for our Jesus! ( 2 Tim Chapter 1-6) This my brother is only the beginning of what I could say to you,but rest assured it is a very fine beginning!!

A soldier conquers!!! He or she conquers there emotions and feeling, they conquer worry and fear and doubt! They do this because rather then being convicted anymore, they have rather become convinced!!( Rom 8:31-39!!!) verse 38! And from this we mature in both grace to others,and knowledge for us through our Jesus and his very WORD! (1 Cor 1:30-31) and 2 Peter 3:18)

I am 33 years and some months old in the Lord now brother,i am sure not perfect yet!!( Phil 3:12-14) BUT I sure do know his Word and have his wisdom according to his Word! You can bear witness yourself as you read the scriptures I have presented to you! One last point!

If you always wish to stay in the very will of God daily,then you will stay thankful daily!!( 1 Thess 5:18!!!) I cannot tell you just how much this has helped me in my walk brother! In the beginning of ones walk you will feel Jesus a lot,both from his Word you read daily and by example or events in ones own life. And then it happens bro!!

Prayer seem to bounce off walls,our feeling and flesh emotions look to retake our mindset,and we wonder where Jesus has gone! He is not far brother,he is just hiding!!!( Isaiah 45:15!!) That is because we forgot something!!! We must learn how to wait!!( ( Isaiah 40:28-31!!!) SEEK and ye shall find!!( matt 7:7!!) Jesus just wants more of what seems so hard for most believers!!! YOUR TIME!

Understand this through Holy Spirit( 1 John 2:27) and you truly own the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven itself!!( 2 Peter 1:3-11!!!!!) Blessing bro!
All what you say is very nice and well though out; however it does not answer my questions. The words of Christ, given through this acceptance of the Holy Spirit of his creator clearly states what is acceptable and what is not. Idolatry is a denial of the.God head of Christians adn cannot be excused if it is only applies in small doses. Immorality, acts of homosexuality. liars, blasphemers and many other such things that have stained human nature are all unChristian, and must be avoided in all parts. One cannot be just a little bit Christian and expect t he Almighty God to say, Ok, they are trying. Can you be just a little bit human?

I do believe that here is a difference between those that look to a heavenly reward and those that are of the great crowd, it seem so clear in Revelation what that difference is. The apostles followed Jesus in faith, but eventually they asked "what is it in it for me" sort, they were told of the heavenly reward, the number being 144,000. Yes, many will not and cannot try to understand these scriptures, but they do speak for themselves.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Ok more human,and blunt! LOL What is in it for me?? Did not see a chapter of verse which even indicates that bro. The main core of Rev can be found in the following verses. ( rev 2:7,11,17,26, Rev 3:5,12,21 and if that is not enough Rev 21:7 Please notice something!!! IF!!!!! And I say IF!!!! we endure until the end, notice how each verse adds something to the reward.By this time every believer should fully understand what the goal is!

To help each other enter the Kingdom.You made a fine point a person can not get a little pregnant! Try never did a thing! ( rev 3:16) this is trying. If I toss a quarter to you and say try and catch it,your not going to try anything, you will either catch the quarter or you will not.

TRY to me anyway is an excuse to fail! There is no faith in try,in fact in most cases brother try always will fail because the mind does not see success but rather doubt in ones attempt. hence what try means. The bible is not a normal book, it really is a supernatural book written.One pastor said when the supernatural comes into contact with the natural something has to give.

For some, they will begin the walk, and not finish.( 1 Tim 4:1-2) and Matt 13:20-21 for whatever excuse they choose to give. The real truth of the matter bro is we have no excuses!!( Rom 1:20-23!!) To the Lord there is no try, you either follow till the end, or you do not. Hope that is not to blunt bro, but that is the way I look at who I serve.

S

SweetmorningDew78

Hello :) I know you are asking a question and I do have an answer but I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to answer the next question and then the next....and next :) yeah honestly :) but let me welcome you here in this wonderful site :) Welcome to CC bro :) see you around :)

God bless you :)

Feb 5, 2017
I don't see many Christians really talk about love, and when trying to bring it up they often push it away. This site has far too many bad examples I think. Maybe there should be a thread that focuses on What is God's Love, and what is Unconditional Love? With a footer, to think whether your comment is in line with it before you speak.

I have conducted some social experiments in my time, and one interesting thing is that if you change the focus to focusing on love in a conversation, God becomes more present.

Well...

A Christian is by definition a follower of Christ.
So for me, the minimum requirement is faith that Jesus came to earth, died for our sins, and rose again.
(There is an alarming number of people who claim to be "Christians" yet doubt or deny this)

It should also imply following the two commandments that Jesus said sums up the law:
- Loving God
- Loving our "neighbour"

Rainrider

Jun 17, 2017

I simply don't see any cut and dry answer to this. Though I must agree that the Word teaches only one faith, and one path to salvation, Telling us,
Mat 7:14 “Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

We are also told,
2Ti 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Or as it is found in one other translation,
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

If one seeks the truth, they are sure to find it. In finding truth, we are st free, Yet all this means little. Try looking at the red letters, in them you will find truth, and wisdom. He tels us what our part of the covenant is to be, then he seals that same covenant with His own blood.

Jul 26, 2017
I simply don't see any cut and dry answer to this. Though I must agree that the Word teaches only one faith, and one path to salvation, Telling us,
Mat 7:14 “Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

We are also told,
2Ti 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Or as it is found in one other translation,
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

If one seeks the truth, they are sure to find it. In finding truth, we are st free, Yet all this means little. Try looking at the red letters, in them you will find truth, and wisdom. He tels us what our part of the covenant is to be, then he seals that same covenant with His own blood.
Maybe we could sue the Bible scriptures and take out of practices religion all the things that are condemned in the Bible. A bit like filtering a liquid of silt and impurity?

Apr 15, 2017
A Christian is someone who acts Christlike.How did Jesus act while He walked the earth.Therefore do the same.

Mat 5:2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
Mat 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mat 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Mat 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mat 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Mat 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up(not arrogant to think they are better than other people),
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own(not selfish), is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Luk 6:40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

Jesus said we can be like Him,which is possible by the Holy Spirit,the same power the man Christ Jesus had to do right.

To be a Christian is to be Christlike.How did Jesus act while He walked the earth.Therefore do the same.

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus said we are to teach the world to observe all things that Jesus commanded the saints to observe.