What is a Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Hi, I know you are now thinking, “what Miri doesn’t know” lol

I had an interesting discussion with a person today.
We were discussing a couple of people we know, one of them is a church
minister.

For various reasons, this person was saying he didn’t think either of them was
born again. I don’t actually know either of them that well to make a judgement so I
couldn’t really say.

But the person I was speaking to, was of the opinion that while they may talk the talk,
and may even give the appearance of walking the walk as they are “nice people”.
That neither of them (in his opinion) had a testimony of a personal encounter with
Christ. That both people simply had made a decision to go to church and had got
involved in church stuff.
Going where the word of God is expounded is the best place for hypocrites. Those who appose who use that for an excuse not to go know when they do come they will fall into the same description .Christ came to save hipo-critters .It like a song sung in Sunday school. They say one thing and do the opposite , its a phony life.... filled with empty glitter God's not pleased with the oppositters

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
A Christian (according to the word): One who is increasing in the knowledge (experiential) of Jesus Christ. One who is growing into the full stature of Christ in character.

M

Miri

A few have said it already.

An old song we use to sing went-

I am a new creation
No more in condemnation
Here in the grace of God I stand.

Maybe we need more such songs and
preaching which sets out the above. Unless we are born again we can’t be a new creation.

I came to know Jesus as a child when I had a personal encounter with Him. I knew something had changed even as a child.

It wasn’t so much that I entered His world, Jesus came down to meet me. I prayed a lot I use to go to bed every night and pray for the wisdom of Solomon at age 11! Long story. Lol.

God so answered that prayer He revealed wisdom to me. God is wisdom! 🙂

M

Miri

A Christian (according to the word): One who is increasing in the knowledge (experiential) of Jesus Christ. One who is growing into the full stature of Christ in character.

I agree there is a life long process of sanctification. But sanctification without that new creation, that second birth. Just becomes a process where we try to be good on our own merits.

There are plenty of “nice good” people in churches, doing good deeds. But unless they are doing it to glorify Christ and because of His love for them. Then they are just doing good to find favour with men and for their own status.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
To me personally the simplest way to define what being a Christian is, "one that has been reconciled to God through Jesus". We were created to be a certain way, Adam and Eve were created to have a bond, a spiritual connection to God. The fall severed that connection, and man being left with a spiritual hole that can never be filled with the things of the flesh, yet we try so hard to fill the void this way when outside of Christ. Through Jesus, and only Him, can that connection be reestablished. That spiritual rebirth, being born again, made new, the new creature, the new man, the heart of stone being replaced with one of flesh, these terms describe this reconnection, but this is what a Christian is, one that has been reconnected with God as we were created to be from the beginning.

Mar 28, 2016
To me personally the simplest way to define what being a Christian is, "one that has been reconciled to God through Jesus". We were created to be a certain way, Adam and Eve were created to have a bond, a spiritual connection to God. The fall severed that connection, and man being left with a spiritual hole that can never be filled with the things of the flesh, yet we try so hard to fill the void this way when outside of Christ. Through Jesus, and only Him, can that connection be reestablished. That spiritual rebirth, being born again, made new, the new creature, the new man, the heart of stone being replaced with one of flesh, these terms describe this reconnection, but this is what a Christian is, one that has been reconnected with God as we were created to be from the beginning.

To me the simplest way is to define the word Christian. (residents of the city of Christ) as his bride the church . The new name God and not man calls His church.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
To me the simplest way is to define the word Christian. (residents of the city of Christ) as his bride the church . The new name God and not man calls His church.
I am honestly not understanding you here. What I think you're saying is that "Christian" is what God calls His church, His bride. That's cool I guess, but the question asked was "what IS A Christian", that was what I was describing the best way I knew how. The definition, or what God calls the church doesn't really have anything to do with the OP or my response. I know it is hard to understand my tone in text, but I'm not trying to be ugly at all here, I just don't understand what you were trying to say exactly, how it relates, and I would truly like to.

M

Miri

It’s interesting that what should be a simple question, attracts various answers. I suppose to a point it comes down to a person’s life experience as to what they answer.

But..um going out on a limb now. Lol
Is it possible not everyone understands what a Christian is?

It would be tragic if people I have made friends with on here or shared ideas, comments with, aren’t actually born again.

I’m making no judgement, just concerned about everyone. Maybe we all need to be more concerned about each other in a loving way.

Mar 28, 2016
I am honestly not understanding you here. What I think you're saying is that "Christian" is what God calls His church, His bride. That's cool I guess, but the question asked was "what IS A Christian", that was what I was describing the best way I knew how. The definition, or what God calls the church doesn't really have anything to do with the OP or my response. I know it is hard to understand my tone in text, but I'm not trying to be ugly at all here, I just don't understand what you were trying to say exactly, how it relates, and I would truly like to.
The word Christian is self defining (resident of the city of Christ) its founder Christ. The suffix "ian" is used to represent a certain group of people.

Just as Galatians is self interpreting .(residents of the city of Galatia named after its founder. Or Thessalonians (residents of the city of Thessalonika ) Or Nicolaitanes (residents of the city Nicole) named after it founder.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
The word Christian is self defining (resident of the city of Christ) its founder Christ. The suffix "ian" is used to represent a certain group of people.

Just as Galatians is self interpreting .(residents of the city of Galatia named after its founder. Or Thessalonians (residents of the city of Thessalonika ) Or Nicolaitanes (residents of the city Nicole) named after it founder.
Lets see... So that would make theologians residents of the city of Theology, named after its founder Theo? Or Rastafarians residents of the city of Rastifar?

Biblically, what is the "city of Christ"?

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014

I can't disagree with that. Thank you for the information, and I hope you have a great day.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
It’s interesting that what should be a simple question, attracts various answers. I suppose to a point it comes down to a person’s life experience as to what they answer.

But..um going out on a limb now. Lol
Is it possible not everyone understands what a Christian is?

It would be tragic if people I have made friends with on here or shared ideas, comments with, aren’t actually born again.

I’m making no judgement, just concerned about everyone. Maybe we all need to be more concerned about each other in a loving way.
I believe we can't really know how to love another unless we learn from the Christ. If He, that is, the Word which became Flesh, is everyone's foundation, then all those who build on that foundation will have unity. If we look at all the examples of faith in the Bible, we find they all had the same belief, they all followed the Word's of the Same Instructor that has been the same since long before we were born. Jesus learned from this same instructor as a man. Only in this way can we become "Christ like" or a Christian. IMO.

Feb 7, 2017
Christian anyone can be. Being committed to Christ, however, is something very deferential. Unfortunately, it is for the few (Matt 20:16).

Mar 28, 2016
Lets see... So that would make theologians residents of the city of Theology, named after its founder Theo? Or Rastafarians residents of the city of Rastifar?

Biblically, what is the "city of Christ"?
The suffix ian on the end of the word represents residents of the city. It's why God gave us the new name at the time of reformation .
Its not a name that God thought just sounded good it had a purpose

Philadelphians are resident of the city of love, Philadelphia.

Or Nicolaitanes (residents of the city Nicole) named after it founder. It would seem to represent sects or denominations also .

The city of Christ is the Bride of Christ . It is called the new Jerusalem, the heavenly city of bread named after her husband Christ

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.Revelation 21

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
The suffix ian on the end of the word represents residents of the city. It's why God gave us the new name at the time of reformation .
Its not a name that God thought just sounded good it had a purpose

Philadelphians are resident of the city of love, Philadelphia.

Or Nicolaitanes (residents of the city Nicole) named after it founder. It would seem to represent sects or denominations also .
So again, are theologians residents of the city of Theology?

Your reasoning does not hold water, garee.

The city of Christ is the Bride of Christ . It is called the new Jerusalem, the heavenly city of bread named after her husband Christ

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.Revelation 21
Where is the term "city of Christ" found in the Bible?

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Hi, I know you are now thinking, “what Miri doesn’t know” lol

I had an interesting discussion with a person today.
We were discussing a couple of people we know, one of them is a church
minister.

For various reasons, this person was saying he didn’t think either of them was
born again. I don’t actually know either of them that well to make a judgement so I
couldn’t really say.

But the person I was speaking to, was of the opinion that while they may talk the talk,
and may even give the appearance of walking the walk as they are “nice people”.
That neither of them (in his opinion) had a testimony of a personal encounter with
Christ. That both people simply had made a decision to go to church and had got
involved in church stuff.
Just because someone calls themselves a Christian doesn't mean they are one. Most Americans claim to be Christians, but they aren't. "Not all who call Me 'Lord' will enter heaven, but only those who do the Will of My Father." We can only know to a certain extent. The bible says we will know them by their fruit, but only God sees all their fruit. If someone is living in sin (not just visiting sin), presently speaking, without goal or effort to stop, then they deceive themselves. That's not our judgement but God's words. "Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, homosexual offenders, thieves, greedy, drunkards, slanderers, or swindlers will enter the kingdom of heaven."

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
10 Be kindly affectionate one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate.
Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine;
I will repay, says the Lord.
20 Therefore if your enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:

Mar 28, 2016
So again, are theologians residents of the city of Theology?

Your reasoning does not hold water, garee.

Where is the term "city of Christ" found in the Bible?

I don't think a person will find the words "city of Christ" verbatim, or word for word. But it does run through the scripture as a metaphor of God as a loving suitor pursuing his cherished beloved explaining how fallen humanity had been seduced away by the deceiver in the garden therefore trying to keep us the church from the loving care of our husband Christ. The main theme of the Bible. Our husband wining us back from the god of this world

The city of Christ as the bride of Christ called Christians is recognized as the new Jerusalem.

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.Revelation 21

She is also known as the city of David, with David and Old testement prophet representing Christ the husband, or the city of refuge a place to hide from the accuser of the brethren, and Zion to mention a few names used to describe her, the metaphor .(made up of male and female Jew and gentile new creature)

Isaiah give us some information and speaks of the new name that God did name her at the time of reformation in the book of Acts. The time when the Gentiles shall see the imputed righteousness work in them.

Isaiah 62:1-4 (KJV) For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest, until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth.And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name . Acts 11) Thou shalt also be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God.Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, and thy land Beulah: for the Lord delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married.

Interesting statement below

Isaiah 62:5 (KJV) For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee.