what is a Christian ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 17, 2021
HAPPY SABBATH one and all, and if tomorrow is your Sabbath, then post it up, and I'll wish you a happy Sabbath then.
PLEASE my brother's and sister's, don't judge or victimise me, this is the day I have chosen to follow, and don't begrudge you if Sunday is yours.
I hope GOD brings to us ALL, the LOVE, PEACE and HARMONY we so desire and deserve, if the FAITH is in us.
May he keep us all safe from harm, make us slow to anger and quick to forgive, and keep HIS light shining in and through us.
Let us become UNIFIED with HIS knowledge and understanding, to be transformed into HIS LIKENESS.
Peace be unto you my BRETHREN.
GODblessusall.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
yes we receive a new heart and new spirit, so if we are cynical before we found the Lord, we stop being cynical when we do...
if we are condescending or judgemental, angry or abusive, and coerce or manipulate, All this is meant to change when we walk with the Lord, ultimately you should STOP these behaviours
Interesting

I could be wrong here but the issues you mentioned above you have many times and if memory serves me that these were issues you had before you became a Christian.

Correct me if I am wrong, the last thing I would want to do is misrepresent you.

I am not saying that is wrong and let's be honest all of us who come to Christ have certain besetting issues.

However did we come to Christ as a result these issues or did we come to Christ because the Holy Spirit convicted us of the sin of unbelief in Jesus.

The good news being that he died in the cross for our sins, was buried and rose again.
If we repent of that sin of unbelief and believe that he did what he did to reconcile us to God then we are reconciled to the father through faith and not works.

Romans 5:1-3

Faith Triumphs in Trouble
1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;

This leads me to what you say

"Ultimately you should STOP these behaviours"

For me the focus is wrong here.
What we do is focus on us and what we need to do which you seem to think is just stop.

Now if that were the case then could have just stopped anyway?
There is nothing worse than telling someone "Bible says don't do it so just stop"

The reality is that the baggage we had before becoming a Christian is actually carried over, and it doesn't just stop because we should stop doing it and infact can stop doing it.

Now I am not saying we sit back and accept it.
What I want to say make clear for me is that focus should be different concerning what we do that is wrong BUT also what we do not do that is wrong.

A lot of the stuff you mentioned will often be as a result of a trigger in our lives.
All sin is wrong but for every sin there is a cause of the affect, and this goes beyond a lot more that you mentioned above.

The focus should be on Jesus, what he has done for us.
We seek the Holy Spirit to work in us, to allow Jesus to increase, to allow the fruit of the Holy Spirit to increase in us.

He conforms us to the image of Jesus.

As a we do that as the fruit increases then our sin decreases.
Jesus takes the credit and not us.
This is why we have the Holy Spirit in us.
He is our helper, our comforter.

Doing it in our own strength will be a long long hard walk.
Things need to be revealed and healed in us.

The focus should be seeking and asking to walk as follows in the fruit.

Galatians 5:22-24
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
HAPPY SABBATH one and all, and if tomorrow is your Sabbath, then post it up, and I'll wish you a happy Sabbath then.
PLEASE my brother's and sister's, don't judge or victimise me, this is the day I have chosen to follow, and don't begrudge you if Sunday is yours.
I hope GOD brings to us ALL, the LOVE, PEACE and HARMONY we so desire and deserve, if the FAITH is in us.
May he keep us all safe from harm, make us slow to anger and quick to forgive, and keep HIS light shining in and through us.
Let us become UNIFIED with HIS knowledge and understanding, to be transformed into HIS LIKENESS.
Peace be unto you my BRETHREN.
GODblessusall.
Good loving and sincere post brother.

I see your timezone is 11 hours ahead of the UK timezone.
Do you mind me asking does your Sabbath day start Friday nigtfall to Saturday or is it just Saturday?

If so what do you do on Sunday?

How do you celebrate the Sabbath Day?

Every day is a day we focus on God and what he has done for us.
Every day ending in Y.

Sep 17, 2021
Interesting

I could be wrong here but the issues you mentioned above you have many times and if memory serves me that these were issues you had before you became a Christian.

Correct me if I am wrong, the last thing I would want to do is misrepresent you.

I am not saying that is wrong and let's be honest all of us who come to Christ have certain besetting issues.

However did we come to Christ as a result these issues or did we come to Christ because the Holy Spirit convicted us of the sin of unbelief in Jesus.

The good news being that he died in the cross for our sins, was buried and rose again.
If we repent of that sin of unbelief and believe that he did what he did to reconcile us to God then we are reconciled to the father through faith and not works.

Romans 5:1-3

Faith Triumphs in Trouble
1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;

This leads me to what you say

"Ultimately you should STOP these behaviours"

For me the focus is wrong here.
What we do is focus on us and what we need to do which you seem to think is just stop.

Now if that were the case then could have just stopped anyway?
There is nothing worse than telling someone "Bible says don't do it so just stop"

The reality is that the baggage we had before becoming a Christian is actually carried over, and it doesn't just stop because we should stop doing it and infact can stop doing it.

Now I am not saying we sit back and accept it.
What I want to say make clear for me is that focus should be different concerning what we do that is wrong BUT also what we do not do that is wrong.

A lot of the stuff you mentioned will often be as a result of a trigger in our lives.
All sin is wrong but for every sin there is a cause of the affect, and this goes beyond a lot more that you mentioned above.

The focus should be on Jesus, what he has done for us.
We seek the Holy Spirit to work in us, to allow Jesus to increase, to allow the fruit of the Holy Spirit to increase in us.

He conforms us to the image of Jesus.

As a we do that as the fruit increases then our sin decreases.
Jesus takes the credit and not us.
This is why we have the Holy Spirit in us.
He is our helper, our comforter.

Doing it in our own strength will be a long long hard walk.
Things need to be revealed and healed in us.

The focus should be seeking and asking to walk as follows in the fruit.

Galatians 5:22-24
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Thanks
Good loving and sincere post brother.

I see your timezone is 11 hours ahead of the UK timezone.
Do you mind me asking does your Sabbath day start Friday nigtfall to Saturday or is it just Saturday?

If so what do you do on Sunday?

How do you celebrate the Sabbath Day?

Every day is a day we focus on God and what he has done for us.
Every day ending in Y.
Thanks BIllG, first I must correct you, the issues I mentioned previously, were not mine, they are characteristics commonly prevalant amongst many Christians as I have observed in my 8yrs journey to GOD.
It seems many are ready to accept the broad covering,... of reading the Bible, going to church, praying and congregating with like minded people,.. as Christianity/being a Christian....many appear to neglect the fact that the TRUTH first starts in themselves, and remain ignorant to how they treat others... hope that clears that up.
Now,....yes my Sabbath starts Friday night but goes to Saturday night (sunset).
I celebrate the Sabbath, with prayer in the morning, by singing songs of praise throughout the day,....(if we weren't in lockdown I would have gone to church for Bible studies, and congregation with my brother's and sister's).
If there was something to do with the family, that would be done or time spent with friends (who are aware of my walk.
If I am free, I stay in and watch religious programmes, heart felt/sometimes religious movies or documentary (usually singing and dancing in between recesses) and read the Bible,... throughout all of this I mentally and verbally stay in contact (ask for guidance in what I'm doing and saying) with GOD
On Sundays I do the same things, but watch whatever interests me (usually a religious programmes), I will exercise and/or play sports, or again if requested, spend it with family, again there is singing of praise's and dancing of joy.......... rest of the week, much the same.
I hope this answers any questions about me.

Sep 17, 2021
a little pool of quicksand awaiteth all those so bold as to take you up on your slightly disguised challenge
that wasn't a challenge, it was me wishing upon all, the blessings of GOD, and asking not to be vilified for it.
It's that simple, as Christianity should be.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Thanks

Thanks BIllG, first I must correct you, the issues I mentioned previously, were not mine, they are characteristics commonly prevalant amongst many Christians as I have observed in my 8yrs journey to GOD.
It seems many are ready to accept the broad covering,... of reading the Bible, going to church, praying and congregating with like minded people,.. as Christianity/being a Christian....many appear to neglect the fact that the TRUTH first starts in themselves, and remain ignorant to how they treat others... hope that clears that up.
I celebrate the Sabbath, with prayer in the morning, by singing songs of praise throughout the day,....(if we weren't in lockdown I would have gone to church for Bible studies, and congregation with my brother's and sister's).
If there was something to do with the family, that would be done or time spent with friends (who are aware of my walk.
If I am free, I stay in and watch religious programmes, heart felt/sometimes religious movies or documentary (usually singing and dancing in between recesses) and read the Bible,... throughout all of this I mentally and verbally stay in contact (ask for guidance in what I'm doing and saying) with GOD
On Sundays I do the same things, but watch whatever interests me (usually a religious programmes), I will exercise and/or play sports, or again if requested, spend it with family, again there is singing of praise's and dancing of joy.......... rest of the week, much the same.
Correction?
Not really.

Oh well never mind.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Thanks

You haven't actually addressed most of post before I asked about the Sabbath.

Oh well never mind.

Sep 17, 2021
Correction?
Not really.

Oh well never mind.
you asked me to correct you, I did, those were not MY issues I highlighted.
May the Lord help you understand that even a dog eats from the master's table.
May he keep us all humble. and make of us true Christians.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Thanks BIllG, first I must correct you, the issues I mentioned previously, were not mine, they are characteristics commonly prevalant
It's a shame you limit it to that then.
If it's the case as you say do you see that in the church you go to?

Sep 17, 2021
You haven't actually addressed most of post before I asked about the Sabbath.

Oh well never mind.
I didn't answer the rest of your post because they were the usually quoted verses from the Bible, and YOUR interpretation of Christianity.
I WILL NOT, ever tell anyone how they are to walk with Christ,.. he has done that himself, but I will answer most questions directed at me with the help of the Holy Spirit.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I didn't answer the rest of your post because they were the usually quoted verses from the Bible, and YOUR interpretation of Christianity.
I WILL NOT, ever tell anyone how they are to walk with Christ,.. he has done that himself, but I will answer most questions directed at me with the help of the Holy Spirit.
Sad thing is you do.

STOP SINNING.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
At least I quoted the Bible verses.
I didn't give my interpretation the Bible makes it clear concerning what is a Christian.

I was addressing and trying to engage with you concerning to want to be like Jesus.
You haven't even responded to that.

When you give your views at least have the courtesy to post Bible verses.
Not seen any yet.

Sep 17, 2021
So what do you disagree with BillG,.. that a dog eats from the master's table, or that GOD keep us humble and make us true Christians. which of these do you find not true

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I

I will never stop SINGING praises to the Lord
I said SINNING.
You have said as believers we MUST STOP SINNING.

And as I have tried to explain to you it is the Holy Spirit who helps us and we seek him for that.

You seem to come across as if you can do it yourself.
You come across as you can sanctify yourself.

Sep 17, 2021
At least I quoted the Bible verses.
I didn't give my interpretation the Bible makes it clear concerning what is a Christian.

I was addressing and trying to engage with you concerning to want to be like Jesus.
You haven't even responded to that.

When you give your views at least have the courtesy to post Bible verses.
Not seen any yet.
but does quoting Bible verses make YOU/or anyone else, any more Christian than me. the Verse's explain to me how I must conduct my life, then I attempt to live what Jesus ask's of me is that wrong?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
So what do you disagree with BillG,.. that a dog eats from the master's table, or that GOD keep us humble and make us true Christians. which of these do you find not true
I disagree with what you believe makes us a true Christian.

Sep 17, 2021
I said SINNING.
You have said as believers we MUST STOP SINNING.

And as I have tried to explain to you it is the Holy Spirit who helps us and we seek him for that.

You seem to come across as if you can do it yourself.
You come across as you can sanctify yourself.
I know what you said, but obviously I didn't think I was, so singing it is