What is beauty? And even better... what is love?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

toinena

What is it that attracts a man to a woman, or a woman to a man?

How do you define the beauty you see in a person?

One of my favorite members here is beautiful. Her heart is so big, her smile can melt an iceberg, and her faith is so humble and strong it touches the hearts to the people that are blessed having met her and interacted with her.

But she claimes that she is not beautiful! Is that what makes her beautiful?

I am rarely attracted to looks. His character, his smile, his faith and love for God are more important. I do appreciate that the love of my life has the looks, too. But it wasn't that that drew me to him. In him I saw that kind of love and person the Bible tells about. He is gentle, kind, overbearing, patient, slow to anger, wise, never boasts. He is for me the 1. Cor. 13 in person. That for me is true beauty .

Why he fell for me? I think the man must have lost his mind! Not a sane person would. But he did. Was it my skin and my expensive moisturizer? Was it my butt or tits? I certainly don't think so! I am not sure if he has ever seen neither, but he has seen some selfies and of course dog pics. Was it the dogs? Nah. Who would be willing to go across the world for a couple of dogs? I believe that God has some bigger plans for us as a couple than we possibly could comprehend. And how he initiated the interest, is somehow insignificant. Was it he soccer game? Was it the prayers prayed in the group? What ever it was, it was God that made use of it and capitalized it.

I would love to hear from you guys. The major two. What is love? What is beauty?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and based on what value is placed on various attributes and characteristics. Outward beauty is a perception while true beauty can come only by the appreciation of spiritual knowledge and wisdom. God is love and provides His love for us to share with others or that special someone. Acquiring someone with true beauty and love can com only from God as perhaps that is your heart's desire.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I don't believe that he lost his mind either but gave significant consideration to the prospective relationship that could end up being a life changing experience. God is definitely guiding his steps and yours too. God choregraphs and orchestrates all loving and enduring relationships as long as the two are willing and desire such a relationship. Yes, this is an example of love and beauty at its finest. I do believe, as you do, that the plans God has for you as a couple are more involved than any possible plans for each one of you separately. These are exciting times for you guys and I am very happy for the both of you. It was all made possible by the power of prayer and the love of God.

J

Jennie-Mae

One of my favorite members here is beautiful. Her heart is so big, her smile can melt an iceberg, and her faith is so humble and strong it touches the hearts to the people that are blessed having met her and interacted with her.

I am rarely attracted to looks. His character, his smile, his faith and love for God are more important. I do appreciate that the love of my life has the looks, too. But it wasn't that that drew me to him. In him I saw that kind of love and person the Bible tells about. He is gentle, kind, overbearing, patient, slow to anger, wise, never boasts. He is for me the 1. Cor. 13 in person. That for me is true beauty .

Why he fell for me? I think the man must have lost his mind! Not a sane person would. But he did. Was it my skin and my expensive moisturizer? Was it my butt or tits? I certainly don't think so! I am not sure if he has ever seen neither, but he has seen some selfies and of course dog pics. Was it the dogs? Nah. Who would be willing to go across the world for a couple of dogs? I believe that God has some bigger plans for us as a couple than we possibly could comprehend. And how he initiated the interest, is somehow insignificant. Was it he soccer game? Was it the prayers prayed in the group? What ever it was, it was God that made use of it and capitalized it.

I would love to hear from you guys. The major two. What is love? What is beauty?
Har du fådd dæ kjærest? Nu må du fortell mæ kem d e? E han herfra lainnet? 😀

M

Miri

Strange I too was thinking of love yesterday during a melt down!
You know when you have a rant at God and wonder why it all went wrong
and what am I doing here!

There has been many a time in my life when I thought I must be incapable
of love. Cos love never seemed to find me and I also have no children to love.

But during the last 6-7 years God has shown me many things about myself.
Unconditional love for another is one of those things,

For my aunt I do everything without the expectation of gratitude or reward.
I toilet her, bathe her, get up two or three times a night to check on her.
Arrange all her meds, appointments, make sure she is safe and her needs are
met. Amost like a mother’s love but with no expectations, just a desire bourne
out of love for her and also that I know God has given me this task to do and He
sees it all. My reward is seeing her happy and living in her own home. Plus the funny
moments we share when she is feeling better.

These circumstances benefit both of us, I am changing, I am becoming more
patient, I am discovering strengths I never knew I had etc. I now know that i
can love unconditionally. I now know what “agape” love is. “Eros” love is
selfish but “Agape” love wants what is best for the other person.
I don’t say this in a prideful way it’s just what I feel God has been showing me
about the nature of love. 1 Cor 13 describes it better.

In relationships if couples practiced Agape love to each other, it would strengthen
and carry them through anything. It wouldn’t work though if one person did
all the giving and the other did all the taking.

Many relationships start off with “Eros” type of love but unless it develops
into “agape” love on both sides. The relationship will fail.

Now the beauty bit, “agape” love brings about that beauty.
Beauty is a reflection of the love and goodness seen in each other. 🙂

Aug 2, 2009

out of love for her and also that I know God has given me this task to do and He
sees it all. My reward is seeing her happy and living in her own home. Plus the funny

I don’t say this in a prideful way it’s just what I feel God has been showing me

In relationships if couples practiced Agape love to each other, it would strengthen

God bless you for all you are doing for your aunt, Miri. I know how difficult it is to be a full time caregiver. ♥

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

You have a beautiful heart, that's for sure.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018

Amen miri...ive shared many of the same thoughts ;)

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
Miri - you summed it up - spectacularly!! I trust your good deeds in this life will be rewarded if not in this life, most certainly in your eternal life...

Where I thought I understood what love and beauty were - I obviously didn't... As they say 'love is blind'... I fell in love with the beauty - but it turns out she couldn't love me unconditionally afterall...
While I believed all was well in my marital union and I believed that I strived to give endless love to demonstrate my unconditional love and my undying commitment to my vows. It was not until it was too late that I came to realize that the level of unconditional love that I was giving was really not being reciprocated.
Hindsight being 20/20... Having grown spiritually thru my personal struggles and with my faith - I am excited to walk with the lord along my journey - so that he might show me the genuine love of a beautiful soul that is 1) either capable of reciprocating the same level of love that I am capable of giving or 2) I suspect that he might lead me to a lost-soul that I might be able to help along her journey to regain her spiritual wholeness and help us both toward eternal salvation together...
Yes - I am a helpless romantic - believer in finding my soulmate... While knowing that there is no such thing as a perfect union, only two imperfect people who refuse to give-up on each other... That is unconditional love - just like the vows say...

T

theanointedsinner

if we are to think of beauty in terms of factors and variables, beauty (or aesthetics) is everything that is well-balanced so it's perceived as "just right" as possible to our sensory organs

given that we are humans, we perceive any visible sign of health as a form of beauty

but beauty is not always something that we see that occupies the physical space, we can't see with our eyeballs the beauty of sound like beautiful music for example (unless if you are mozart or beethoven)

flowers like roses (assuming your nose have no allergy issues or whatsoever) is a smell that's beautiful even though your ears can't hear of it's beauty or your eyes can see the "smell" of it's beauty

so beauty transcends any specific senses of whatever five senses that we have

I bet that aliens from outer space (for the sake of the argument, to help illustrate a point here) can have weird ways to sense things, but the pattern is still the same

as another example that is not related to any previous examples that I have mentioned,
believe it or not, hate is beautiful to Satan, so yes, beauty is relative, subjective

and if there's any objective pattern to "beauty", whatever this objective pattern most likely increases the odds of finding "beauty", as if this pattern is like a cookie cutter that you can use if you want to create the shape of a cookie that you desire (assuming that you are baking)

and the cookie cutter is mentioned for illustration purposes

in that, the cookie cutter is like an "objective standard" of "the right shape" relative to one who intentionally makes the cookie cutter (whether the maker of this cookie cutter is good at making them, or bad at designing one)

or, design

Aug 2, 2009

Love is that feeling you get when you're about to have your favorite food.

Beauty is anything that makes you feel good inside.

T

toinena

Love is when you feel at home and the outside world fades when you hear his voice. Love is putting his needs above your own and trusting he does the same for you. Love is to kneel before God and commit to Him as well as to eachother. Love is when you see God has blessed you with more than you could possibly imagine. Real love is as easy and natural as breathing. It just is.