What is GOD's first Covenant ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
Think about it before you answer , first ask what is a Covenant , then study the various Covenants and then make an exposition of your observance , this should be edifying and fun ....

Attachments

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Think about it before you answer , first ask what is a Covenant , then study the various Covenants and then make an exposition of your observance , this should be edifying and fun ....
God's covenant with Noah is the first actual covenant.

There was no covenant with Adam (as some suppose). Adam was given a stewardship AND HE BLEW IT.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
God's covenant with Noah is the first actual covenant.

There was no covenant with Adam (as some suppose). Adam was given a stewardship AND HE BLEW IT.
Well a covenant is an agreement, pledge, promise etc. The following is what Malachi 3:1 states, "Behold I am going to send My messenger, and he will clear the way before Me, And the Lord, whom you seek, will suddenly come to His temple, AND THE MESSENGER OF THE COVENANT, in whom you delight, behold, He is coming, says the Lord of hosts."

So, what covenant is this referring to and where in the OT and who is the messenger of this covenant? :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So, what covenant is this referring to and where in the OT and who is the messenger of this covenant?
This is a reference to the New Covenant. John the Baptist was the messenger of the Covenant (the forerunner of Christ), and He pointed everyone to the Lamb of God, who would usher in the New Covenant with His blood.

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
Well let's see a covenant is an established agreement a set order of establishment that's what we see as a covenant in the modern terms of the English translation now let's look at the biblical view of what a covenant is I will post it on my next post and we can go from there

Apr 15, 2017
The first covenant mentioned is with Noah, as far as a covenant with God and people, but Adam and Eve were the first covenant between them, for marriage is a covenant between two people.

Apr 15, 2017
The first covenant mentioned is with Noah, as far as a covenant with God and people, but Adam and Eve were the first covenant between them, for marriage is a covenant between two people.

I would like to add this.

God's covenant between Him and people has to do with spiritual salvation, giving people spiritual salvation, which Noah and his sons populated the world in which spiritual salvation would come in the future, so God's covenant with people has to deal with people after the fall.

Adam and Eve were created with an innocent nature, and if they continued on in that condition, and had children, and they had children, and it went on like that, then there is no fall, and spiritual salvation could not be given, but only a blessing on earth, but not eternal life in the spiritual realm which God is a part of the spiritual realm.

So God's covenant would have to do deal with the spiritual salvation of people to dwell with Him in the spiritual realm.

That is probably why there is no covenant with Adam and Eve when they were created with an innocent nature in flesh, for there was no fall, and no fall means no spiritual salvation, and God's covenant between Him and people has to deal with people after the fall.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
The first covenant was with Adam and Eve.

16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden;
17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."
Gen 2

Adam and Eve broke this covenant, and chose death.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Not to eat of the tree of life..

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
This is a reference to the New Covenant. John the Baptist was the messenger of the Covenant (the forerunner of Christ), and He pointed everyone to the Lamb of God, who would usher in the New Covenant with His blood.
Actually the first part of Malachi 3:1 states that John the Baptist is the one that will clear the way of the Lord/Jesus Christ before His coming. Isaiah 40:3 and please read Mark 1:2-4. So tell me about the second part of the verse? That is to say regarding the last part of the verse that says, "and the messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight, behold He is coming, says the Lord of hosts."

Please read Genesis 12:1-4 and Genesis 15:18 where the Lord made a covenant to give Abram and his descendants land for Israel to occupy. And especially at Genesis 17:1-2 which is another covenant and at Genesis 22:17-18 where the angel of the Lord made a covenant with Abraham. :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Actually the first part of Malachi 3:1 states that John the Baptist is the one that will clear the way of the Lord/Jesus Christ before His coming. Isaiah 40:3 and please read Mark 1:2-4. So tell me about the second part of the verse? That is to say regarding the last part of the verse that says, "and the messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight, behold He is coming, says the Lord of hosts."
DOUBLE APPLICATION: JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ELIJAH
Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me:...

John the Baptist prepared the way for Christ at His first coming,
Moses and Elijah will preach and prophesy before the Second Coming of Christ (Rev 11).

THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AFTER HIS SECOND COMING
...and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

Christ did not "suddenly" come to His temple at His first coming. But He will do so after His second coming. And He is the messenger of the New Covenant to Israel at that time. Believing Israel will be regenerated under the New Covenant as we see in the prophecy of Ezekiel.

EZEKIEL 43: THE LORD COMES SUDDENLY TO HIS TEMPLE
1 Afterward he brought me to the gate, even the gate that looketh toward the east:
2 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.
3 And it was according to the appearance of the vision which I saw, even according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city: and the visions were like the vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and I fell upon my face.
4 And the glory of the LORD came into the house by the way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east.
5 So the spirit took me up, and brought me into the inner court; and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The first covenant was with Adam and Eve.
There was no covenant with Adam and Eve. There was a COMMANDMENT TO Adam and Eve, which they violated.

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (Gen 2:16,17)

God knew that Adam and Eve would disobey Him, and that their stay in Eden would be rather short. Therefore no covenant. Covenant Theology has FALSELY taught Christians that there was an imaginary covenant.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
There was no covenant with Adam and Eve. There was a COMMANDMENT TO Adam and Eve, which they violated.
And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (Gen 2:16,17)

God knew that Adam and Eve would disobey Him, and that their stay in Eden would be rather short. Therefore no covenant. Covenant Theology has FALSELY taught Christians that there was an imaginary covenant.
I would say God made a covenant with Adam and Eve that they would be safe except for eating
from the tree of knowledge. Without a covenant of some sort commandments are meaningless.
A commandment only applies to those under the covenant, implied or otherwise, or else they cannot
be found responsible for breaking the covenant.