What is God's gift in this verse?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What is the gift in this verse?

• Salvation

• Grace

• Faith

• All the above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
When I asked the question in the OP my vote was grace. Eph 3:7 & Rom 5:15 below make it clear grace is a gift. I posted 3 verses that also make it clear Christ is a gift. However, those verses don't tie into Ehp 2:8 gift context.

In my pass experience discussing this verse, Faith seems to be the popular thought. I personally don't see faith as the gift mentioned in Eph 2:8. 2ndly Rom 12:3 say's every man is dealt a measure of faith. We know not everyone applies that to Christ's work. 3rdly without God's grace all the faith in the world isn't worth anything.

My 1st choice & daily study bible (for the past 25yrs) is KJ Thompson Chain reference. However I'm not married to the KJV & often read many versions at biblegateway.com. for additional context.

After reading Mailman's post #11 & seeing how the amplified bible translators parsed Eph 2:8. Salvation just may be the Eph 2:8 context. Having said that I can find no scripture directly making salvation a gift., it requires faith.

Finally, I don't think Eph 2:8 is speaking to more the one (grace, salvation, faith) because it doesn't say (in any version I've read) they or them, it say's "it's" a gift from God.

Thanks to all that replied & tried to help (so far votes are evenly split) . A special thanks to mailman.

Verses mentioned above:
Eph 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Rom 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Ephesians 2:8-9 :)

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
When I asked the question in the OP my vote was grace. Eph 3:7 & Rom 5:15 below make it clear grace is a gift. I posted 3 verses that also make it clear Christ is a gift. However, those verses don't tie into Ehp 2:8 gift context.

In my pass experience discussing this verse, Faith seems to be the popular thought. I personally don't see faith as the gift mentioned in Eph 2:8. 2ndly Rom 12:3 say's every man is dealt a measure of faith. We know not everyone applies that to Christ's work. 3rdly without God's grace all the faith in the world isn't worth anything.

My 1st choice & daily study bible (for the past 25yrs) is KJ Thompson Chain reference. However I'm not married to the KJV & often read many versions at biblegateway.com. for additional context.

After reading Mailman's post #11 & seeing how the amplified bible translators parsed Eph 2:8. Salvation just may be the Eph 2:8 context. Having said that I can find no scripture directly making salvation a gift., it requires faith.

Finally, I don't think Eph 2:8 is speaking to more the one (grace, salvation, faith) because it doesn't say (in any version I've read) they or them, it say's "it's" a gift from God.

Thanks to all that replied & tried to help (so far votes are evenly split) . A special thanks to mailman.

Verses mentioned above:
Eph 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Rom 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Yes, salvation and grace are specifically from God to us as gifts. Whereas faith works both ways and Hebrews 11 tells us of patriarchs exercising that faith. Then in your posted Romans 12:3, we see faith is also given to us. We can conclude therefore that all three (salvation/grace/faith) comes from God but faith requires further action on our part. Also, salvation is implied as a gift in many scriptures even if it doesn't directly say. 5thumbsup.gif

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When I asked the question in the OP my vote was grace. Eph 3:7 & Rom 5:15 below make it clear grace is a gift.
Grace is NOT a gift since it is freely available to all mankind through the Gospel. However the gift of God's grace is salvation, the gift of eternal life.

Even your reference to Romans 5:15 says exactly that: ...the gift by grace...
meaning that the gift of salvation is given by the grace of God.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
The ability to read it ......Glory to the Holy Ghost

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Grace is NOT a gift since it is freely available to all mankind through the Gospel. However the gift of God's grace is salvation, the gift of eternal life.

KJV Dictionary Definition: GRACE, n. L. gratia, which is formed on the Celtic; Eng. agree, congruous, and ready. The primary sense of gratus, is free, ready, quick, willing, prompt, from advancing.

1. Favor; good will; kindness; disposition to oblige another; as a grant made as an act of grace.
Or each, or all, may win a lady's grace.

2. Appropriately, the free unmerited love and favor of God, the spring and source of all the benefits men receive from him. https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/grace.html

My reply:
From the top """The primary sense of gratus, is free, <gratus = gift - gifts are free. (1) """as a grant made as an act of grace""" < Grants are free. (2) """ the free unmerited love and favor of God""" < unmerited = unearned = free = gift.

All have sinned & deserve heavens sentence = death. God's grace via KJ dictionary is: gratus = gift = free, God's free grant is an act of grace = unmerited = unearned = free = gift = GRACE! Pretty clear to me!

KJ dictionary disagrees with your statement: Quote "Grace is NOT a gift" end Quote.

Your argument: Quote "Grace is NOT a gift since it is freely available to all mankind through the Gospel" end Quote. Could also be made in regards to salvation. Oh wait one must apply faith to obtain salvation.

GRACE IS GIFT!

The gift of eternal life is true, but, another/separate gift from God, unrelated to the specific question asked in the OP. Eph 2:8 make's no mention of eternal life.

You may want to do a study on only taking from scripture & NEVER adding to it. As you did in this reply.

Jun 10, 2019
2 cor 9:15
Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Supporting scripture:

Ephesians 2:8 For ye are saved by grace, through faith; and this not of yourselves; it is God's gift:

Apr 2, 2020

Grace is a gift(as is salvation), but gifts can be refused. God can't receive grace on our behalf, and if it's forced it can't be called grace because it bears no resemblance to love. I believe there's a word to describe that that starts with an "r".

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
My last appeal that in Eph 2:8 grace is the gift.

KJV Dictionary Definition: GRACE, n. L. gratia, which is formed on the Celtic; Eng. agree, congruous, and ready. The primary sense of gratus, is free, ready, quick, willing, prompt, from advancing. https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/grace.html

gratia/Latin translates to English/grace. The KJD above say's; gratus/grace, is free, ready, quick, willing, prompt, from advancing

All have sinned and deserved Heaven's requited sentance for this crime =DEATH.

The gift of eternal life is a spititual seal. It can't begin there, you're current under a deserving death sentence. Just waiting for your trun to be tossed into a fire LOL.

A gift of Salvation can't be the beginning, it requires faith. You access "God's gift of grace" by faith (Rom 5:1-2). When you know what/WHO to put faith in. You are given another gift, eternl life.

It's God's GIFT of grace, accessed by faith, whereby we're saved/spirituallysealed/forever

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Verse starts: By grace, you'll be given salvation, when you apply faith.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

God's gift of grace that brings salvation is Christ. My Opinion Only.

L

Locoponydirtman

The passage is self explanatory, when one applies some basic reading comprehension.