What is meant when people say 'guns don't kill people; people do'?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

joecoten

Judah has returned...Ephraim hasn't.

LoveBrokeThru

Mar 17, 2022
I have heard this statement used in the context of debate on gun ownership, can someone explain please?
It means that the murderer isn't the Gun, its the person.
Had they no gun, they'd run over you with a car, or chop your head off with an axe.

Think of it like this...

When Obama was still President, his last Executive order was to give Iran about half a billion dollars.
They took this money and gave it to Hamas and the Taliban, who then used it to buy weapons to kill innocent people.

So, who murdered the innocent people?

A.) Obama......as he financed their deaths.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I have heard this statement used in the context of debate on gun ownership, can someone explain please?
A gun can be used in woodworking, kill animals or kill people. It is basically a dangerious tool. It takes a person to aim and pull the triger. Some nail guns use 22 rounds.

Personally, I use Tranqulizer guns to deal with intruders. There is no need to kill them, just stop them to protect yourself, family and neighbor.

J

joecoten

A gun can be used in woodworking, kill animals or kill people. It is basically a dangerious tool. It takes a person to aim and pull the triger. Some nail guns use 22 rounds.

Personally, I use Tranqulizer guns to deal with intruders. There is no need to kill them, just stop them to protect yourself, family and neighbor.
You're a regular humanitarian! Lol But I guess killing a few people gives you something to think about. That's something I've never had to do. Hope I never have to.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
target shooting
Ramset - drives nails
collect guns for historical purposes
Avalanche Gun - causes avalanches
Lyle Gun - fires a rope line for rescue
Flare Gun - for signaling

Handyman62

Jan 10, 2021
Rural South Carolina

Except "Tranqulizer guns" don't work instantly and a murderer could kill you and your whole family before it takes effect.

CS1

May 23, 2012
if you are driving a car and you hit someone would the car move if you did not drive it? Is the drunk driver that gets behind the wheel and kills a family because he drove onto the freeway through the DO NOT ENTER sign ( true event in CA) responsible or was it the car or the store that sold him the beer?

is a man who rapes a woman responsible for the rape or is the woman because she did not want to have sex with him? There for forced him t rape her? If you think a gun is responsible for the killing of a person without the person who pulled the trigger.

Then the car, beer, and saying no to sex are the cause of the above outcomes.

ZNP

Sep 14, 2020
if you are driving a car and you hit someone would the car move if you did not drive it? Is the drunk driver that gets behind the wheel and kills a family because he drove onto the freeway through the DO NOT ENTER sign ( true event in CA) responsible or was it the car or the store that sold him the beer?

is a man who rapes a woman responsible for the rape or is the woman because she did not want to have sex with him? There for forced him t rape her? If you think a gun is responsible for the killing of a person without the person who pulled the trigger.

Then the car, beer, and saying no to sex are the cause of the above outcomes.
Which is why we have liability insurance that everyone must have in order to drive a car and which I believe every gun owner should have.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Okay. I haven't heard anyone argue 'forks don't eat too much food, people do'.
that is a false narrative because you would need the spoon to force-feed a person

CS1

May 23, 2012
Which is why we have liability insurance that everyone must have in order to drive a car and which I believe every gun owner should have.
Driving a car is not right it is a privilege.

ZNP

Sep 14, 2020
Driving a car is not right it is a privilege.
Having liability insurance is the sign of a "well regulated militia". The right is not that you are irresponsible but well regulated.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Having liability insurance is the sign of a "well regulated militia". The right is not that you are irresponsible but well regulated.
Irresponsibility is the cause of an action that could end up in jail. insurance doesn't keep you from killing someone it is taking money from people who can't afford to pay to have what the Second Amendment says they are entitled to as American citizens. The cost of insurance will infringe on people's rights therefore it will not pass as we see in NY it was just shot down.