What is really happening when Christians break bread and drink wine to remember Christ's death until He comes back?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Paul warns that if we eat the bread and drink the cup in an unworthy manner, we are eating and drinking condemnation to ourselves, and because of many Christians are weak sick and some have even died prematurely (1 Cor. 11:23-32). It is objectively true that many Christians today, in all denominations, are weak and sick and are dying prematurely. Churches that believe in the real presence" are full of sick people. Churches that instruct communicants to examine themselves for personal sins before partaking, are full of sick people. I would like to see my brothers and sisters enjoy better health from the Lord and the church be a place of healing, not a hospice.

Firstly, the context of Paul's warning is his scolding the rich in the church for not sharing the food and wine they brought to the love feast with the poor, so that the rich were even becoming drunk while the poor remained hungry ( 1 Cor. 11:17-22). Paul was concerned that the meaning of the communion was being missed completely by those partaking. Jesus had shed His blood for every person in that love feast. without discrimination (1 John 2:2). Jesus had poured out the Holy Spirit upon every person in that love feast without partiality (Acts 2:16-17). Jesus' body had been broken for every person in that love feast without prejudice (Luke 22:19). Eating the communion bread and drinking the communion wine is us declaring our union with Jesus in His sacrificial life, death and resurrection, re-committing ourselves to live as broken, merciful, Holy Spirit led children of God. (1 Cor. 11:26)

But how can someone who despises another communicant, who is careless abut their hunger and poverty, who has unforgiveness in their heart towards another communicant or absent Christian (or even an unbeliever in the meeting) make a sincere profession of communion with Christ in His sacrificial life and death for all? For such a person, taking communion becomes a Judas kiss (luke 22:48, 1 Peter 5:14), a treasonous pretence. If you come in communion to offer yourself to God as a living sacrifice, and remember a brother has something against you, first be reconciled to your brother, and then take the bread and wine (Matt. 5:21-26. Matt. 6:14-15, Mark 11:25-26, Matt. 18:21-35)

I believe this is the fundamental meaning of communion, and many of us are taking the bread and wine unworthily by this standard, and for this reason many are sick and some are dying prematurely. It's not because we do not have the correct mystical magical beliefs about what the bread and wine are, but because we have no recognition of what they mean. Taking communion while fostering disunity by harbouring unforgiveness toward another is "not discerning the body and blood of our Lord" in the communion.

"Taking communion while fostering disunity by harbouring unforgiveness toward another is "not discerning the body and blood of our Lord" in the communion." Amen! (1Cor. 12:7, 12 & 26)
 
You first. It's typical of you to say your doctrine is right, but never accurately say what your doctrine is.

I have already, by using Scripture, which you obviously haven’t read. My doctrine? I don’t have a doctrine that I’ve made up. I follow His doctrine in the NT, not man’s.
 
I have already, by using Scripture, which you obviously haven’t read. My doctrine? I don’t have a doctrine that I’ve made up. I follow His doctrine in the NT, not man’s.
I don't see anywhere that you have posted any doctrine. Do you have post numbers? How do you know it's God's doctrine? Did he speak to you personally?
 
I think that’s the point! There shouldn’t be any division, or different doctrines. God died for all and only gave one doctrine. :)

Jesus didn't expect perfect doctrine for membership among His disciples. He did expect His followers to do what they believed He was teaching them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TruthDefender
I don't see anywhere that you have posted any doctrine. Do you have post numbers? How do you know it's God's doctrine? Did he speak to you personally?

Doctrine meaning His word. I’ve posted quite a few verses in this and other memes.
 
Regarding the OP question: What happens during the Lord's Supper is that Christians celebrate Christ's atonement.
 
While I do agree that taking communion with faith in the healing Jesus also purchased is a channel for healing for those who have no enmity in their hearts, I still think the eating and drinking worthily entails being in harmony with others, otherwise God will withhold the healing, as per my cited texts.

Personal relationship receiving His guidance as Scripture teaches varies from leaning on ones own understanding.
We must take ALL things to Him for His wisdom and truth, just as He taught.
best wishes
 
The adversary seems to have taken over this thread?
Seeing the inverse of Galatians c5- v22&23?
 
The adversary seems to have taken over this thread?
Seeing the inverse of Galatians c5- v22&23?

Yes, which is why I reminded them of the OP by saying: What happens during the Lord's Supper is that Christians celebrate Christ's atonement.

Folks would do better/avoid quarrelling by answering the OP and moving on to the next thread.
 
Yes, which is why I reminded them of the OP by saying: What happens during the Lord's Supper is that Christians celebrate Christ's atonement.

Folks would do better/avoid quarrelling by answering the OP and moving on to the next thread.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to quarrel! 😿
You’re right, that’s not very Christian like. My apologies to all.
 
You say only the Bible has perfect doctrine. I agree. You say you have perfect doctrine, and when asked what that is, you say "it's in the Bible." That's false. No one perfectly understand scripture. "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." - 1 Cor 13:12 ESV.

You say everyone should have the same perfect doctrine, which is what you believe. You're saying everyone should believe like you do.

Only one man who ever lived had a perfect understanding of doctrine. His name is Jesus Christ. I know Him, and you sir, are not Him.

Also, it's "ditto", not "diddo." Even your spelling isn't perfect.
 
You say only the Bible has perfect doctrine. I agree. You say you have perfect doctrine, and when asked what that is, you say "it's in the Bible." That's false. No one perfectly understand scripture. "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." - 1 Cor 13:12 ESV.

You say everyone should have the same perfect doctrine, which is what you believe. You're saying everyone should believe like you do.

Only one man who ever lived had a perfect understanding of doctrine. His name is Jesus Christ. I know Him, and you sir, are not Him.

Also, it's "ditto", not "diddo." Even your spelling isn't perfect.

You’re not perfect either, and you most certainly are not Him! Look, I never meant to argue. I’m sorry, it’s not very Christian like!! Maybe we should agree to disagree…..

I’m also not a suit, and I never said “Everyone should have the same perfect doctrine.” All I’m doing is using Scripture, and if you don’t like the Scriptures I’m using to validate what I’m saying then so be it; we can discuss those verses. Blessings…..