What is religion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MissCourtney
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MissCourtney

Guest
I was raised Buddhist and when I bring that up in chat I get a lot of similar responses.
Just to list a few one being "Buddhism isn't a religion." I would just like to say that the word religion means something different to everyone, but when I search for the definition of religion I get this....
  1. [FONT=arial, sans-serif]"A [/FONT]religion[FONT=arial, sans-serif] is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence. Many [/FONT]religions[FONT=arial, sans-serif]have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that aim to explain the meaning of life, the origin of life, or the Universe."[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]For those who aren't well versed in Buddhism I would like to say that the teachings of Buddhism aim to explain the origin of life and the Universe. Buddhism is also an organized collection of beliefs and basically fit the definition [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]of what I listed above. I will be posting more about my knowledge of Buddhism and hopefully those who are open minded will learn something even if they don't agree.[/FONT]
 
Aww ty for writing this. I like how Buddhism, and buddhists are pacifists. My mum n dad do mountaineering so I have been with them to Nepal. I loved the buddhist temples and how kind and generous and peaceful they were. I liked how they are focussed on right thought, right deed, right action. To me whether you are buddhist, hindu or christian, this was something worth hanging onto and I did..... well i try anyway. I left there wanting to be a better person and to be gentle.
 
Yes I am thankful to have a Buddhist Temple in my state. The Buddhist Temple is one of the very few places where I feel at peace, happy, relaxed, accepted, and free. I would one day love to visit Nepal and see the birthplace of Buddha. I very much enjoy the Buddhist teachings I think they can apply to anyone even if your not Buddhist which I find wonderful because so many religious teachings and philosophies exclude. Buddhist teachings do not aim to exclude and I love that.
 
True Christianity doesn't aim to exclude either; "Whosoever" means everyone (John 3:16). Jesus adores us all, and died so you and everyone else could go to Heaven since He took the punishment for your sins :).
 
Jilly81;bt16257 said:
True Christianity doesn't aim to exclude either; "Whosoever" means everyone (John 3:16). Jesus adores us all, and died so you and everyone else could go to Heaven since He took the punishment for your sins :).

Well, Christianity can aim to exclude and often does. That's why I love Jesus and not Christianity. It is true that Buddhism never seeks to exclude.