What is Sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AbdiyEL
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AbdiyEL

Guest
1 John 3:4
4. Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.


Quick note: I always use the True Hebrew Names and Titles of our Heavenly Father
and His Son. Instead of "God" I use the Hebrew Elohim which means
"Mighty One" Instead of "LORD" I use His Name Yahweh, Instead of
"Jesus" I use His True Name Yahushua, and I prefer the term Messiah
instead of Christ.

Too many times I have heard a believer define sin as "missing the mark". But what is the mark that has been missed? The Apostle John tells us plainly that "sin is Lawlessness". Lawlessness means to be without law, to violate law, to live a life in disobedience to Law. So what Law then is the Apostle referring to? It must be Yahweh's Law. But if it is sin to violate Yahweh's Law then why is it that so many Christians are taught that His Law is done away with and no longer applies to us today? I believe that I can show through Scripture that all of Yahweh's Law is still alive and well and that, with exception to Temple Sacrafice, we are expected to keep every command in Yahweh's Law. This is a huge, hot, and sometimes prickly topic, but one that I believe the Father wants us to have clarification on. So let's take a few thoughts at a time. I have stated what I believe, so far without Scriptural proof, if you disagree please explain why and I will defend my belief if I can. Let us strive to do as the Apostle taught,

2 Timothy 2:15
15. Be diligent to present yourself approved to Elohim (God), a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
 
It seems to me very clear that the misunderstanding comes from Shauls writings when he is making a comparison to the law of sin and death and the law of love, righteousness, grace, power, etc...

The complex thought and introspection required to understand the concept is very hard for people to wrap their heads around. Especially when they are taught incorrectly that the law,( loving instruction) has been done away with or nailed to the cross. I why indeed do they fail to see they don't "have faith" as they claim but rather need to live according to the faith of scripture which doesn't relieve of responsibility but empower the true believer to overcome the world with Messiah. So many times I have heard Messiah in me, what about you in Messiah which eludes to doing as He does.
 
The mark that is missed is a person; namely Jesus Christ. Self-confidence and self-reliance are the nature of the good works of the flesh. "Dependence" on God (Elohim thru Yahweh (Yahushua), if you please) is something the flesh cannot have. The flesh is too impatient to tolerate the delay of being dependent. The flesh can never depend on God as long as it feels it has the strength. Even in a time of hopelessness, the flesh is still busy planning, trying to think of a way out. The flesh never has the sense of utter helplessness.

If the believers want to understand the works of the flesh, there is no other need than to put the flesh to the test. Anything that does not issue from waiting on God is of the flesh. Anything that can be produced and done without depending on the Holy Spirit issues forth from the flesh. Anything that one can decide according to one's own will and for which one does not need to seek God's will is of the flesh.

Whenever one's heart does not have a sense of utter helplessness and a need for complete dependence on the Lord, one's doings are the works of the flesh. However, this does not mean that all these things are wicked or improper. No matter how good they are or how godly they are—even reading the Bible, praying, worshipping, and preaching—if they are not done in complete dependence on the Holy Spirit, then they issue forth from the flesh. As long as the flesh is allowed to live and is given the opportunity to be active, it is willing to do anything, even submit to God! In all the works of the flesh, however good they may be, "I" is always a big factor, the only difference being that sometimes it is hidden and other times it is manifested.

The flesh never acknowledges its own weakness and uselessness. Even should it become a laughingstock, the flesh will still not believe in its inability.

 
Last edited:
Although God's children are saved, they have not fully obeyed God's will. As a result, God has to use many ways to lead the believers into full submission. God moves the believers with His Spirit and stirs them up with His love so that they will submit to His will and not love, pursue, or do anything outside of Himself.

It is a pity when God's moving and stirring do not produce the desired results in the believers. Then God has to stretch forth His hand to bring the believers to the place where He wants them to be. His hand is primarily manifested in circumstances. God applies His hand heavily upon the believers to crush, break, and bind them so that their will can no longer be hardened before Him. Amen, God Bless you AbdiyEL.
 
Last edited: