What is the Difference Between "Standards" and "Shallowness"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I know excluding a whole race of people is not only racist but very limiting. What if “the one” person you need in your life for fulfillment looks different than you? I’m guessing if I was God, I’d do that to racists. I’d put the most compatible people for racist as far away from their homogeneous perspectives as possible. If anything for fun. :) Asian are attractive like anybody, but it’s what’s inside that really matters.
Racist is a term thrown around too casually anymore. If a person doesn't feel an attraction to some people, that doesn't mean they're racist by default. Racism is about motive and a negative view of people of a certain race. I may not be attracted to X race romantically, yet still think well of them generally. Those are merely subjective opinions on what's attractive.
Is it sexist to not find the same sex attractive? That's half the population. That's more limiting than one race.
Nonsense, right? Exactly.
Even if, as a male, I'm not attracted to half of the women on this planet that's still over 2 billion options. I'd hardly call that limiting.
But even if i was able to find all the women in the world potentially attractive for a mate, I'll still never meet probably 99% of them. Perhaps less than that.

There is no 'the one', so problem solved.

Good thing you're not God then. Punishing people just for fun and to get your jollys.
That takes a cold heart. 🥶💙
You better pray God never takes that attitude about the sins in your life.

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
Is this a standard, or is it shallow?
Standards and shallowness are two different concepts. Standards refer to a set of criteria or principles that a person uses to evaluate themselves or others. These criteria can be based on a variety of factors, such as personality, values, interests, and goals. Standards are often seen as positive and necessary for healthy relationships and personal growth.

Shallowness, on the other hand, refers to a superficial or narrow-minded approach to evaluating oneself or others. This can involve placing too much emphasis on physical appearance or other superficial qualities, or failing to consider important factors such as personality, values, and character. Shallowness is often seen as negative and can lead to unhealthy relationships and a lack of personal growth.

While there may be some overlap between standards and shallowness, the two concepts are fundamentally different. Standards are based on a thoughtful and holistic evaluation of oneself or others, while shallowness is based on a superficial or narrow-minded approach.
Scripture references that touch on the importance of standards include:

Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Romans 12:2: "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Proverbs 4:23: "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."

These verses emphasize the importance of setting high standards for oneself and others, and of focusing on positive and admirable qualities. They also stress the importance of guarding one's heart and mind against negative influences and patterns of thinking.

In summary, while standards and shallowness may share some similarities, they are fundamentally different concepts. Standards are based on a thoughtful and holistic evaluation of oneself or others, while shallowness is based on a superficial or narrow-minded approach.
J.

CtheUSA

Feb 20, 2024
Racist is a term thrown around too casually anymore. If a person doesn't feel an attraction to some people, that doesn't mean they're racist by default. Racism is about motive and a negative view of people of a certain race. I may not be attracted to X race romantically, yet still think well of them generally. Those are merely subjective opinions on what's attractive.
Is it sexist to not find the same sex attractive? That's half the population. That's more limiting than one race.
Even if, as a male, I'm not attracted to half of the women on this planet that's still over 2 billion options. I'd hardly call that limiting.
But even if i was able to find all the women in the world potentially attractive for a mate, I'll still never meet probably 99% of them. Perhaps less than that.

Good thing you're not God then. Punishing people just for fun and to get your jollys.
It’s tough to understand someone having fun at a racists expense when you are dead set in justifying racist remarks. No worries. There are plenty of people twisting comments to justify biases.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
It’s tough to understand someone having fun at a racists expense when you are dead set in justifying racist remarks. No worries. There are plenty of people twisting comments to justify biases.
Ok. Go join Disney and the rest of the woke snowflakes.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

Dude. That seems a bit of an overreaction.

CtheUSA

Feb 20, 2024
Sorry, subhuman, I stopped listening to you after you said all African Americans are poor because they have a poor mentality. It’s ironic you used “snowflake” as your cutdown. The toughest people I ever met were the opposite of racists. Best to lose your hate. God is love

CtheUSA

Feb 20, 2024
Sorry, subhuman, I stopped listening to you after you said all African Americans are poor because they have a poor mentality. It’s ironic you used “snowflake” as your cutdown. The toughest people I ever met were the opposite of racists.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Sorry, subhuman, I stopped listening to you after you said all African Americans are poor because they have a poor mentality. It’s ironic you used “snowflake” as your cutdown. The toughest people I ever met were the opposite of racists.
He didn't say that at all. You have some weird extrapolations.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Ok. Keep thinking that.
I'm not saying there is no cause. She is going across threads misinterpreting you, whether accidentally or intentionally. But the amount of vitriol you sent back seems a bit excessive.

Play it like I play a lanolin incongruity. Roll your eyes, define exactly what you said and how she is wrong, and move on. It doesn't change lanolin's mind either, but at least everybody else reading the thread knows what I meant.

CtheUSA

Feb 20, 2024
He didn't say that at all. You have some weird extrapolations.
Sure. And my very first response from this site was from subhuman and was a thumbs down when I stood up for Asians.
Guess that was also an inaccurate extrapolation, which would assume anything needed to be inferred in the first place.
No worries. I’ll take my time and effort elsewhere. You can hoodoo people trying to be around Godly influences without my informing them.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Sure. And my very first response from this site was from subhuman and was a thumbs down when I stood up for Asians.
Guess that was also an inaccurate extrapolation, which would assume anything needed to be inferred in the first place.
No worries. I’ll take my time and effort elsewhere. You can hoodoo people trying to be around Godly influences without my informing them.
Life can be better than you ever dreamed... If you will let it. I hope you will let it.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I'm not saying there is no cause. She is going across threads misinterpreting you, whether accidentally or intentionally. But the amount of vitriol you sent back seems a bit excessive.

Play it like I play a lanolin incongruity. Roll your eyes, define exactly what you said and how she is wrong, and move on. It doesn't change lanolin's mind either, but at least everybody else reading the thread knows what I meant.
I said keep thinking that. Not sure why this is continuing.
And I have a two response limit to disagreements. So I was done with that person already. And in the case of this between us, this is post two. Now I'm done with this topic as well.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I said keep thinking that. Not sure why this is continuing.
And I have a two response limit to disagreements. So I was done with that person already. And in the case of this between us, this is post two. Now I'm done with this topic as well.
An apology would end it on a good note.