What is the difference between the battle of Michael and Satan and Armageddon?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 14, 2019
What is the difference between the battle of Michael and Satan and Armageddon? It appears that the battle between Michael and Satan is for the purity of heaven. In other words nothing impure is going to be permitted to remain in heaven therefore Satan is cast out by Michael. What then is the purpose of the battle of Armageddon? Could it be that one battle is a spiritual battle and the other is a battle for the flesh?

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
I suppose it is to fulfil certain prophecies, there are some that will only be fulfilled when Jesus comes again. I am not talking about the rapture, which happens in secret, but the second coming which will be seen by all and Jesus will rule the planet. The battle at Armageddon is to execute judgement on Satan, and protect "the rest" of Gods people that will be surrounded by the devils army, the demons will inhabit people and he will literally be around and be in peoples bodies and also have support from people, and they will gather together to come against and slay "the rest" of Gods people. People already say they worship Satan, they say it literally. I cannot not see how people will not follow the devil. The Antichrist, false prophet and Satan will be on earth oppressing people and that is when Jesus steps in with the saints.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
What is the difference between the battle of Michael and Satan and Armageddon? It appears that the battle between Michael and Satan is for the purity of heaven. In other words nothing impure is going to be permitted to remain in heaven therefore Satan is cast out by Michael.
Good day to you RevelationMan!

"And having led Him up, he showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said to Him, “I will give to You all this authority, and its glory; for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I wish. Therefore if You will worship before me, all will be Yours.”

When Adam and Eve disobeyed God, mankinds authority over the earth was given over to Satan as revealed in the scripture above. That said, the Battle between Michael and his angels against Satan and his, is part of the legal process of the authority of the earth and everything in it reverting from Satan back to God and man.

It is in the middle of the tribulation is when that war in heaven will break out, with Satan and his angels being cast out of heaven and restricted to the earth. We know this, because in Rev.12:6,14, after the dragon/Satan finds himself thrown to the earth, the woman/Israel flees out into the desert where she will be cared for during the 1260 days which is the last 3 1/2 years of that last seven year period. Therefore, Satan and his angels are cast out in the middle of the seven. Regarding this, Rev.12:12 also states that when the dragon is cast to the earth it states that he knows that his time is short and that because he knows from the time that he is cast out he only has 3 1/2 years before the Lord returns to the earth to end the age, where he will be seized and sealed up in the Abyss for a thousand years. It is during that time that he will not be able to deceive the nations.

What then is the purpose of the battle of Armageddon? Could it be that one battle is a spiritual battle and the other is a battle for the flesh?
In answer to your question, in Daniel 2:37-45, God gives Nebuchadnezzar a dream of a golden statue, with a head of gold (Babylon), chest and arms of silver (Medo/Persia), belly and thighs of bronze (Greece), legs of iron (Rome) and a future extension or revival of Rome as the feet and ten toes made of partly baked clay and iron. Therefore, the statue as a whole represents all human government. Then a Rock (Jesus) cut out of the mountain without human hands falls on the feet of the partly baked clay and iron smashing the entire statue to pieces like chaff on a threshing floor with the wind blowing it away so that not a trace will be found. This represents the complete dismantling of all human government during the tribulation period. Then in Dan.2:35 it says: But the Rock that had struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth, which is in reference to Christ's millennial kingdom.

In addition, when the 6th bowl is poured out, the Euphrates is dried up to make way for the kings of the east. And John sees three demonic spirits that look like frogs, come out of the mouths of the dragon, the beast and the false prophet, who go out to the kings of the whole world to gather them to Armageddon. At the same time, the angels will have been going throughout the earth to gather the weeds/wicked which are the "one taken" group to bring them to the same location. As they are all gathered together, the Lord will descend from heaven, the church and His angels with Him and will kill them with the double-edged sword which proceeds from His mouth, which is figuratively represents the spoken word of God. During this same time, an angel will have called all of the birds of the air together to come and gorge themselves on the flesh of all those whom the Lord will kill.

So to recap, the purpose of the war in heaven, is part of the legal process of restoring the authority of the earth from Satan back to God and mankind. Where the purpose of the tribulation period and Armageddon, will be to fulfill the prophesies of that last seven years of the seventy sevens that was decreed upon Israel and Jerusalem, the pouring out God's wrath to do away with the wicked and to establish His kingdom, which is that Rock that becomes a huge mountain and fills the entire earth.

So the purpose of Armageddon is to bring judgment upon the wicked, all those who will have rejected Christ and worshiped the beast, his image and received his mark.

Mar 4, 2020
What is the difference between the battle of Michael and Satan and Armageddon? It appears that the battle between Michael and Satan is for the purity of heaven. In other words nothing impure is going to be permitted to remain in heaven therefore Satan is cast out by Michael. What then is the purpose of the battle of Armageddon? Could it be that one battle is a spiritual battle and the other is a battle for the flesh?
Armageddon is the name given to a literal war on Earth, between 'armies of the east' and Israel, that occurs at the end of the great tribulation before the second coming of Christ. It's not so much that Armageddon is a 'battle for the flesh,' but more like a military campaign orchestrated by the anti-Christ's beast government against all the earth, especially 'the elect.'

The battle of Michael and Satan occured due to a rebellion in heaven. I don't think it's allegorical, but literal; same with the battle of Armageddon.

For supplemental reading check out Matthew 24-25, 1 Thess. 2 & 4, and of course Revelation.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Armageddon is the name given to a literal war on Earth, between 'armies of the east' and Israel, that occurs at the end of the great tribulation before the second coming of Christ. It's not so much that Armageddon is a 'battle for the flesh,' but more like a military campaign orchestrated by the anti-Christ's beast government against all the earth, especially 'the elect.'

The battle of Michael and Satan occured due to a rebellion in heaven. I don't think it's allegorical, but literal; same with the battle of Armageddon.

For supplemental reading check out Matthew 24-25, 1 Thess. 2 & 4, and of course Revelation.
Good day, Runningman!

The war in heaven between Michael and Satan is a future event. It takes place in the middle of the seven years. In Rev.1:19, John was told to write:

What you have seen = everything written from Rev.1:1 to 1:19

What is now = represented by the letters to the seven churches, which represents the entire church period

What will take place later
= what takes place after the "what is now," i.e. what takes place after the church period

Therefore, we are still living in the "what is now" part of what John was told to write. Once the church is gathered, then the "what must take place later" will begin. That said, the war in heaven belongs to the "what must take place later" time period and is therefore still future. Currently, Satan and his angels still have access to heaven, with Satan accusing the saints before God night and day (Rev.12:10). Regarding this, I can assure you that Satan is not currently in the Abyss, but roams about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

The battle of Michael and Satan occurred due to a rebellion in heaven. I don't think it's allegorical, but literal; same with the battle of Armageddon.

I might also add the fact that the war in heaven and Satan and his angels being cast to the earth, is the result of the sounding of the seventh trumpet and is the third woe.

Mar 4, 2020
Good day, Runningman!

The war in heaven between Michael and Satan is a future event. It takes place in the middle of the seven years. In Rev.1:19, John was told to write:

What you have seen = everything written from Rev.1:1 to 1:19

What is now = represented by the letters to the seven churches, which represents the entire church period

What will take place later = what takes place after the "what is now," i.e. what takes place after the church period

Therefore, we are still living in the "what is now" part of what John was told to write. Once the church is gathered, then the "what must take place later" will begin. That said, the war in heaven belongs to the "what must take place later" time period and is therefore still future. Currently, Satan and his angels still have access to heaven, with Satan accusing the saints before God night and day (Rev.12:10). Regarding this, I can assure you that Satan is not currently in the Abyss, but roams about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.

His first rebellion occured sometime after angels were created and when he tempted Adam and Eve. (Job 38:4-7 says angels were before creation and Genesis 3:1-14 describes him in the serpent form he was cursed to while commuting the temptation of Eve.) Though no specific dates are given, but we can infer this and that didn't restrict his access to heaven.

I agree, the angel battle is a future event. Just wanted to clarify because the language in Revelation 12 does speak of Armageddon using past tense words

Sep 14, 2019
I might also add the fact that the war in heaven and Satan and his angels being cast to the earth, is the result of the sounding of the seventh trumpet and is the third woe.
So, Satan is trying to fight his way into heaven and thus be saved and Michael prevents that from happening and therefore Satan is cast to earth in preparation for final judgment and for the lake of fire. Right?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What is the difference between the battle of Michael and Satan and Armageddon? It appears that the battle between Michael and Satan is for the purity of heaven. In other words nothing impure is going to be permitted to remain in heaven therefore Satan is cast out by Michael.
When we read that passage in Revelation 12 we get the impression that Satan and his evil angels are presently in the the third heaven (God's heaven). But in fact they were already cast down to the first heaven (the atmospheric) when they rebelled, and possibly have access to the second heaven (outer space). The connection to the atmospheric heaven is shown by calling Satan "the prince of the power of the air".

So Michael and his angels cast out Satan and all the evil angels out of the atmospheric heaven down to earth. And as you say, ti is to cleanse the atmosphere and space. But it is also to allow Satan to manifest his wrath on earth during the Tribulation (which is also the 3 1/2 year reign of the Antichrist). See Revelation 12 and 13.

What then is the purpose of the battle of Armageddon? Could it be that one battle is a spiritual battle and the other is a battle for the flesh?
The Antichrist gathers his armies at Armageddon to destroy the Jews and Israel. So the battle of Armageddon to cleanse the earth of the Antichrist and all his allies, as well as all the evildoers who are against God and Christ and against Israel. This is a supernatural destruction by Christ, even though is it called the battle of Armageddon. See Revelation 19.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
So, Satan is trying to fight his way into heaven and thus be saved and Michael prevents that from happening and therefore Satan is cast to earth in preparation for final judgment and for the lake of fire. Right?
Hello RevelationMan!

No, I don't believe that Satan will be warring to be saved, for he knows that can never happen. He knows the word of God, probably better than any of us, so he has read Rev.20:10 which says that he will be thrown into the lake of fire where the beast and the false prophet will have been thrown and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

And regarding the last part of your post, yes! Satan and his angels at that time will be cast out of heaven and restricted to the earth as part of the legal processes of the restoration of the authority of the earth reverting from Satan back to God and mankind. However, after Christ returns to the earth to end the age, Satan is first sealed in the Abyss for a thousand years, where at the end of that thousand years, and after his last attempted rebellion, he will then be thrown into the lake of fire as revealed in Rev.20:1-3, 7

Blessing in Christ to you my friend!