What is the Gospel?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 16, 2018
Well if you want an opinion from a mere woman,
I would say the gospel, the good news, can be found in the entire
bible from start to finish. It’s God’s story (His story) of God’s redemptive
plan to reconcile mankind to Himself.

Although narrow is the way that leads to the kingdom of God and broad is
the way that leads to destruction.

While we were sinners Christ died for us.
…4There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.…

Jun 16, 2018
It makes no difference whether we read the words of Christ, or Peter, or Paul. But here is what Jesus said, and it cannot get any simpler:

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? (John 11:25,26).
By two or three shall a matter be established.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 says that the gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

2 Thesalonians 1:8 says that the gospel must be obeyed in order to escape the flames of hell.

Romans 6:3-5 tells us how we obey the gospel.

Jun 16, 2018
Thank you
One Faith
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 New International Version (NIV)

The Resurrection of Christ
15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried,that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

2 Thessalonians 1:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

Romans 6:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

From you above mentioned definition of the Gospel from the letter of paul is correct. and cannot be disputed.
Can you give me the same definition " from what Jesus thinks the Gospel is.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Jesus did not give us a definition of the Gospel.

Jun 16, 2018
Jesus did not give us a definition of the Gospel.
What if I said that Jesus did give us the definition of the gospel would you believe me. "Evidence Demands A Verdict"

Also take note that this is the gospel that saves according to our good friend "One faith".

8 He will punish those who do not know God (Jesus Christ) and do not obey the gospel/message of our Lord Jesus.

The ball is in your court.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
What if I said that Jesus did give us the definition of the gospel would you believe me. "Evidence Demands A Verdict"

Also take note that this is the gospel that saves according to our good friend "One faith".

8 He will punish those who do not know God (Jesus Christ) and do not obey the gospel/message of our Lord Jesus.

The ball is in your court.
Jesus did tell of the new covenant that was coming and he fortold of his death and reserection. However, the Gospel was not known until after his death.

Jun 16, 2018
Jesus did tell of the new covenant that was coming and he fortold of his death and reserection. However, the Gospel was not known until after his death.
If I told you that he proclaimed the gospel at the start of his ministry on earth. Would you believe me I if I gave you the evidence.

Jun 16, 2018
If I told you that he proclaimed the gospel at the start of his ministry on earth. Would you believe me I if I gave you the evidence.
How Ironic Buddhist believe in the writing/words of Buddhu.
Confucius't believe in the message/words of Confucius.
But Christians believe in the writings of paul. (Creed of the Apostles) (Take note it is not the creed of Jesus)
Don't you find that strange.

7seasrekeyed

the gospel of the kingdom is actually called exactly that...'the gospel of the kingdom'

for some reason, the op has hooked onto that and is calling it the 'gospel of Jesus', while trying to lead people down a path he has marked out as 'the way, the truth and the life'; yet, this is not the actual gospel

ain't nobody gonna get into the kingdom without the ACTUAL gospel which, again, is not really what the op is trying very hard to convince y'all it is

understand there are movements today which are rendering 'the gospel of the kingdom', as militant Christians taking over the world in order to 'make it ready' for Jesus to come back...which is not at all the gospel of anything other than a man made gospel (which they consider 'good news' (since that is the meaning of gospel) that has been wrongly interpreted and misapplied from certain scriptures)

now I don't know if the op belongs to such a movement, but he is not promoting the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ and understand that the kingdom gospel is not the gospel of salvation which is what Jesus preached

further, the business of rendering Paul a back seat driver, when Jesus PERSONALLY intervened in Paul's very busy schedule of herding up and killing or otherwise harming the new 'sect' of Christians following that upstart and false prophet from some farming community, is nonsense and I would hope most people know that?

when Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom, people thought he was a revolutionary and wanted to overthrow the Roman occupation...as it was, the Jews were waiting for their Messiah, not in a spiritual sense, but in a very literal and physical sense as God has so many times, delivered them physically from their enemies, which were also His enemies

what a person believes regarding the gospel or how they understand it, will flavor what they do, think and teach and the op is trying to teach here...not discuss...and grading people on his own personal 'bell' curve but it is an out of tune bell curve

again, you cannot enter into the kingdom unless you are first 'born again'; so, there is no gospel excluding salvation which has been attained by the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, through Him alone we have salvation and can enter into the kingdom of God, which, Jesus informed us, was INSIDE

stop trying to 'please' the op with an answer that confirms what he believes because he is not correct in what he is saying, but is confusing what Jesus said, putting Paul aside even though Paul said that if anyone preached 'another gospel' they were accursed...which is more than a little serious...I mean come on...don't we know our Bibles a little better than the confusion of this op?

7seasrekeyed

Jesus said that unless a man is born againhe cannot enter the kingdom of God (John 3:5).

Paul makes it clear that the only way anyone participates in this kingdom is by believing in Jesus Christ

and Peter explains what salvation is...what Jesus lived and died for...as follows in chapter 1 of I Peter

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care,11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”[a]

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially,live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

7seasrekeyed

Question: "What is the gospel of the kingdom?" (source to define what Jesus REALLY meant by the kingdom and where it is right now)

Answer:
The phrase gospel of the kingdom and references to “the kingdom of God” and “the kingdom of heaven” are used repeatedly in connection with the Lord Jesus and His work on earth. The word gospel simply means “good news,” and the term translated “kingdom” is the Greek word basileia, which means “the realm in which a sovereign king rules.” Throughout the New Testament, the word kingdom consistently refers to the rule of Christ in the hearts of believers, since, for the time being, Christ’s kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36).

When Jesus began His three-year earthly ministry, He preached that “the kingdom of God is near” (Matthew 4:17; Luke 10:9). Mark 1:14–15 gives a concise description of Jesus’ primary focus during His time on earth: “Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.’” When asked to define His kingdom, Jesus explained it this way: “The kingdom of God is not coming in ways that can be observed. . . . The kingdom of God is in the midst of you” (Luke 17:20–21). Romans 14:17 says that the kingdom of God is a matter “of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.”

see source above for the rest of this article

Jun 16, 2018
Luke 4:43 New International Version (NIV)
43 But he said, “I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.”

7seasrekeyed

as what I posted is significantly different from your varied renderings, one could expect some kind of response other than a one verse post that does nothing to address the 3 posts above it

you do not seem to grasp the difference in rendering the kingdom as physical as opposed to spiritual as indicated by Jesus Himself

perhaps you do not understand that one verse does not create doctrine no matter how many times you repeat it?

further, you cannot enter the kingdom in ANY manner apart from the way in which Jesus said that you do

so unless you have something further and different to offer other than the preceding 4 + pages of somewhat confusing 'teachings', I will conclude you do not really understand, nor can you describe, what Jesus actually taught

7seasrekeyed

Yes paul's writings are scripture. to help us understand our redemptive status in christ. thank god for paul's letters.
But we must not think for one minute that paul's writing are to override the teaching/messages of jesus.That puts us in great error.
as paul asked. "Did I die for you?
basically you are stating that Paul does not agree with Jesus, otherwise you would NOT have stated that we should not think his teachings are superior to that of Jesus

you cannot have it both ways and I am sorry to say that you do not have the command of the teachings of either Jesus OR Paul to tell anyone here they are wrong...or for that matter even right

I could be off here, but I think you have picked up on someone else's teachings and you don't quite understand them either but wish to pass them along

it's not working

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
How Ironic Buddhist believe in the writing/words of Buddhu.
Confucius't believe in the message/words of Confucius.
But Christians believe in the writings of paul. (Creed of the Apostles) (Take note it is not the creed of Jesus)
Don't you find that strange.
You and I are on two different levels of understanding. Your agenda will never get near me.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Thank you
One Faith
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 New International Version (NIV)

The Resurrection of Christ
15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried,that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

2 Thessalonians 1:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

Romans 6:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

From you above mentioned definition of the Gospel from the letter of paul is correct. and cannot be disputed.
Can you give me the same definition " from what Jesus thinks the Gospel is.
Thank you, I am delighted that I was able to get some scriptures that were spot-on for you. However, I don't know what you mean by "What Jesus thinks the gospel is." There is only one gospel, and since it involved His death, burial, and resurrection, I'm certain Jesus knows about it.

Blessings

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand.

That is the Gospel of the Kingdom of God, and is the only Gospel.

Paul preached the same Gospel.

JPT
Obeying the gospel is the way into Christ's church- which was not established until after He purchased it with His blood. John died before Christ.