What is the gospel?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
I might not get it. I might not be getting all of this right, we've sinned so we deserve death or the lake of fire, in Old Testament times sin was covered by shedding the blood of an unblemished lamb, which was a foreshadowing of what Jesus did. Jesus was the unblemished lamb of God and His blood was shed so that everyone who believes He died on the cross and rose from the dead on the third day could be saved. The blood of the Old Testament lambs or other animals that were sacrificed (is sacrificed the right word to use?) pointed towards Jesus' sacrifice which covered all sin. Am I missing anything? Please correct me where I am wrong. If anyone wants to, please explain the gospel to me.

Sep 24, 2012
The blood of the Old Testament lambs or other animals that were sacrificed (is sacrificed the right word to use?) pointed towards Jesus' sacrifice which covered all sin.
Was sacrifice the right word to use?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I might not get it. I might not be getting all of this right, we've sinned so we deserve death or the lake of fire, in Old Testament times sin was covered by shedding the blood of an unblemished lamb, which was a foreshadowing of what Jesus did. Jesus was the unblemished lamb of God and His blood was shed so that everyone who believes He died on the cross and rose from the dead on the third day could be saved. The blood of the Old Testament lambs or other animals that were sacrificed (is sacrificed the right word to use?) pointed towards Jesus' sacrifice which covered all sin. Am I missing anything? Please correct me where I am wrong. If anyone wants to, please explain the gospel to me.
You’re pretty spot on. The sacrifice of animals only covered sin in the OT. The blood of Jesus Christ washes away sin under the NT. Covered means they are still there. Their sins were in remission. They were placed in Abraham’s bosom until Christ’s sacrifice took away their sin.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
The gospel is the good news that teaches God's born again children that Jesus died and washed away their sins, past present and future sins, and they don't have to go about to establish their own righteousness by their good works. There is an example of this in Romans 10:1-2-3. The gospel also gives God's children commandments to follow as they live their lives here on earth. The inspired word of God was not written to the natural man that cannot discern the things of the Spirit, 1 Cor 2:14, but to the born again spiritual man. Jesus instructed his Apostles to go and preach the gospel to the lost sheep (born again) of the house of Israel. Matt 10:6.

7seasrekeyed

here is succinct explanation from Got Questions

Question: "What is the gospel of Jesus Christ?"

Answer: The word gospel means “good news,” so the gospel of Christ is the good news of His coming to provide forgiveness of sins for all who will believe
(Colossians 1:14; Romans 10:9). Since the first man’s sin, mankind has been under the condemnation of God (Romans 5:12). Because everyone breaks God’s perfect law by committing sin (Romans 3:23), everyone is guilty (Romans 5:18). The punishment for the crime of sin is physical death (Romans 6:23) and then an eternity spent in a place of punishment (Revelation 20:15; Matthew 25:46). This eternal separation from God is also called the “second death” (Revelation 20:14–15).

The bad news that all are guilty of sin and condemned by God is countered by the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ. God, because of His love for the world, has made a way for man to be forgiven of their sins (John 3:16). He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to take the sins of mankind on Himself through death on a cross (1 Peter 2:24). In placing our sin on Christ, God ensured that all who will believe in the name of Jesus will be forgiven (Acts 10:43). Jesus’ resurrection guarantees the justification of all who believe (Romans 4:25).

The Bible specifies the content of the gospel message: “Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time” (1 Corinthians 15:1–6). In this passage, Paul emphasizes the primacy of the gospel—it is of “first importance.” The gospel message contains two historical facts, both supported by Scripture: Christ’s death and His resurrection. Both those facts are bolstered by other proofs: Christ’s death is proved by His burial, and His resurrection is proved by the eyewitnesses.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the good news that God provided the way for man to be freed from the penalty of sin (John 14:6; Romans 6:23). But not all people will be saved from hell; only those who place their faith in Jesus will go to heaven when they die (Acts 4:12).

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the best news anyone will ever hear, and what a person does with this news will determine where he or she spends eternity. God is calling you to choose life. Call on the name of the Lord and be saved (Romans 10:13).

7seasrekeyed

sacrifice is the right word

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

Answer: The word gospel means “good news,” so the gospel of Christ is the good news of His coming to provide forgiveness of sins for all who will believe (Colossians 1:14; Romans 10:9). Since the first man’s sin, mankind has been under the condemnation of God (Romans 5:12). Because everyone breaks God’s perfect law by committing sin (Romans 3:23), everyone is guilty (Romans 5:18). The punishment for the crime of sin is physical death (Romans 6:23) and then an eternity spent in a place of punishment (Revelation 20:15; Matthew 25:46). This eternal separation from God is also called the “second death” (Revelation 20:14–15).

The bad news that all are guilty of sin and condemned by God is countered by the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ. God, because of His love for the world, has made a way for man to be forgiven of their sins (John 3:16). He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to take the sins of mankind on Himself through death on a cross (1 Peter 2:24). In placing our sin on Christ, God ensured that all who will believe in the name of Jesus will be forgiven (Acts 10:43). Jesus’ resurrection guarantees the justification of all who believe (Romans 4:25).

The Bible specifies the content of the gospel message: “Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time” (1 Corinthians 15:1–6). In this passage, Paul emphasizes the primacy of the gospel—it is of “first importance.” The gospel message contains two historical facts, both supported by Scripture: Christ’s death and His resurrection. Both those facts are bolstered by other proofs: Christ’s death is proved by His burial, and His resurrection is proved by the eyewitnesses.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the good news that God provided the way for man to be freed from the penalty of sin (John 14:6; Romans 6:23). But not all people will be saved from hell; only those who place their faith in Jesus will go to heaven when they die (Acts 4:12).

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the best news anyone will ever hear, and what a person does with this news will determine where he or she spends eternity. God is calling you to choose life. Call on the name of the Lord and be saved (Romans 10:13).
This is an example as to why I rarely consult other men's interpretations of the scriptures. Got Questions sight is promoting eternal salvation by mans good works. All of the above scripture quotes from Got Questions listed above are misquoted and some of them words inserted that are not there, for instance; Acts 10;43, does not say "all who will believeth", But it says "all that believeth" The natural man before he is regenerated will not believe because he cannot discern the things of the Spirit and thinks them to be foolish. 1 Cor 2:14. All of the above references are depicting the born again people. The inspired scriptures were written to born again people and not to the natural man.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation
Believing in the things of the Spirit comes after we have been born again, Eph 2, and have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit which reveals to us the truths of the gospel. The natural man before he has been born of the Spirit cannot discern the things of the Spirit, and thinks them to be foolish, 1 Cor 2:14. Salvation according to Greek interpretation means = "a deliverance". There is a deliverance, here on earth, in believing the gospel for a born again person. Believing does not save you eternally, but it does deliver you from the lack of knowledge of the gospel. Our faith and belief grows gradually as new born babes in Christ as we hear the gospel proclaimed, Isaiah 28:12-13.

Sep 24, 2012
Does anyone else want to comment on what I wrote?

Oct 12, 2012
Your pretty much right on! God has made Himself known to us through covenants, and in covenants, sacrifices! In sacrifices, types and shadows; in this the symbolic language of God!

From the Adamic covenant to old covenant Israel to Jesus!

For about 4000 years He did this so that when Jesus was born and lived and died and was raised up again. There would be these scriptures to liken Him (Jesus) to the son of God, and the son of man!

So for what ever reason your asking, there's much more to be said and thought; so far so good, just put it on the shelf and keep pondering and working it out!

TooFastTurtle

Apr 10, 2019
Start here:

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

In summary:

1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Apr 12, 2019

Answer: The word gospel means “good news,” so the gospel of Christ is the good news of His coming to provide forgiveness of sins for all who will believe (Colossians 1:14; Romans 10:9). Since the first man’s sin, mankind has been under the condemnation of God (Romans 5:12). Because everyone breaks God’s perfect law by committing sin (Romans 3:23), everyone is guilty (Romans 5:18). The punishment for the crime of sin is physical death (Romans 6:23) and then an eternity spent in a place of punishment (Revelation 20:15; Matthew 25:46). This eternal separation from God is also called the “second death” (Revelation 20:14–15).

Interesting, i would i disagree with this, this is only half the gospel, indeed a distorted gospel because its missing crucial elements, this is not sufficient for a gospel explanation, this is talking about being saved from the penalty of SIN, but the gospel also saves us equally from the POWER of SIN, this is the one and only true gospel, notice that the article doesn't talk about repentance, that is a red flag, repentance is turning from sin to God.

The Full Gospel is outlined in Luke:24:45-47 Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47 and that repentance for[c] the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

The Gospel is that Jesus died on a cross and rose again for sinners, to be saved you must repent and believe the gospel.

Anyway, im sure you agree, just pointing out the flaws in that article :)

Because this article is not the Gospel of Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (as the article is declaring), that article is only half of His gospel.

Apr 12, 2019
Indeed half gospels can lead people to hell, so thats why this is dangerous.

Matthew 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Got Questions [site] is promoting eternal salvation by mans good works.
How can this be promoting eternal salvation by man's good works?

"In placing our sin on Christ, God ensured that all who will believe in the name of Jesus will be forgiven (Acts 10:43). Jesus’ resurrection guarantees the justification of all who believe (Romans 4:25)."

Your understanding of the Gospel is so warped that you cannot even see the truth when it stares you in the face. What should have been included is the necessity of repentance, but faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption cannot possibly to labeled a good work.

M

morefaithrequired

I found the original post accurate. But not exactly the gospel
Keep communicating like that would be my advice.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
How can this be promoting eternal salvation by man's good works?

"In placing our sin on Christ, God ensured that all who will believe in the name of Jesus will be forgiven (Acts 10:43). Jesus’ resurrection guarantees the justification of all who believe (Romans 4:25)."

Your understanding of the Gospel is so warped that you cannot even see the truth when it stares you in the face. What should have been included is the necessity of repentance, but faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption cannot possibly to labeled a good work.
Acts 10:43 says for whosoever believeth (present tense), it does not say "all who WILL believe in the name of Jesus WILL be forgiven". This incorrect interpretation makes it a requirement for the natural man to believe and 1 Cor 2:14 says that the natural man cannot discern the things of the Spirit and thinks it is foolish. Before a man can believe in the things of the Spirit he must first be regenerated and given the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. If a man is regenerated he is already saved eternally. This same truth also applies to John 3:16. Believing the gospel is a product of already being born again and not the cause of it. That is why Jesus instructed his Apostles to go and preach the gospel to the lost sheep (born again children of God) of the house of Israel. All of those that God gave to Jesus to die for already have their sins forgiven as far as eternity is concerned, John 6:38. God looks upon them as holy and without blame.