What is the meaning of the parable of the fig tree? (Part 2)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2017
What is the meaning of the parable of the fig tree? (Part 2)

But, what is this fig tree?

• Isa 5:1-7 -> “ Let me sing for my beloved my love song concerning his vineyard: My beloved had a vineyard on a very fertile hill. He dug it and cleared it of stones, and planted it with choice vines; he built a watchtower in the midst of it, and hewed out a wine vat in it; and he looked for it to yield grapes, but it yielded wild grapes. And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, judge between me and my vineyard. What more was there to do for my vineyard, that I have not done in it? When I looked for it to yield grapes, why did it yield wild grapes? And now I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard. I will remove its hedge, and it shall be devoured; I will break down its wall, and it shall be trampled down. I will make it a waste; it shall not be pruned or hoed, and briers and thorns shall grow up; I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it. For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah are his pleasant planting; and he looked for justice, but behold, bloodshed; for righteousness, but behold, an outcry!”.

The vineyard is the house of Israel, which was perverted in the time of Isaiah, as well as in the time of Jesus.

• Luk 13:6-9 -> “And he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. And he said to the vinedresser, ‘Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?’ And he answered him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.’””.

And such as, in Isaiah’s time, the Creator was about to destroy the land of Israel and take them captive to Assyria, now the Creator was about to destroy Israel and spread the Israelites to other nations.

The vinedresser is Jesus, who was evangelizing Israel (the vineyard), as well as their leaders (the fig tree) during three years. While Jesus was alive, He was the chief leader, the True Vine which was always green and full of fruit (the green wood):

• Luk 23:28,31 -> “But turning to them Jesus said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For if they do these things when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?”

Jesus interceded in behalf of Israel, asking for one more year amidst them, so that He could try to evangelize the religious leaders in a more deep way (indeed, the greatest confront between Jesus and the Pharisees, Sadducees, and masters of the law took place at the last year of His ministry). If the leaders of Israel didn’t repent, the fig tree would be cut and the vinedresser (Jesus) too.

So, when the time were fulfilled, the Father cut the fig tree (through the curse of Jesus) and, some days after, Jesus was cut through crucifixion.

And Jesus exhorted the women of Jerusalem about what would take place in the year 70 A.D. After all, if the Romans were able to crucify Him (the green and fruitful wood), certainly they would do something more terrible (the destruction of all Israel and Diaspora) further, once all the religious leaders of Israel and their rituals became outright dry.

So, have a good day giving the fruit of the Holy Spirit so that you can stay in the True Vine (John 15:1,2).

Tomorrow we will continue.