What is the meaning of this phase

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 26, 2010
Luke 6:46-49

46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?
47 I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice.
48 He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.
49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."

what is the meaning of this phase.. can anyone give me your opinion.

Is it for the the people that do not follow the law even thou they call him Lord?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2009

47 I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice.
48 He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.
49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."

Is it for the the people that do not follow the law even thou they call him Lord?
You ask two questions.

It’s not good enough to read the teachings of Jesus, hang around church people, and know all the buzz words and buzz phrases. You need to actually do what the Lord told us to do. That is my understanding of these verses.

B

BestBeWishing

Beloved,

Look at the Third Commandment,

(Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain)

and this be my understanding of it

"In His Service"

B

BestBeWishing

Beloved,

Look at the Third Commandment,

(Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain)

and this be my understanding of it

"In His Service"
Beloved,

In Other words

Why say your a Christain and not keep His Commandments

"In His Service"

R

Redeemed79

Hi There.

In the Bible Jesus says to Peter....on this rock i will build my church".. The rock was Peter's confession of Jesus as Christ. Jesus is our rock. He is the cornerstone on which all things are to be built.
When we are building precept upon precept....line upon line of God's Word and getting to know Him intimately we are diggin deep and laying founddations on the rock (Jesus). We know as we do this that we are less swayed by the world, the truth is in us and we are able to stand and weather the storms of life that we could'nt before. This is what He was saying.
Also you couldnt call Him Lord and mean it if you werent obedient and in submission to Him. This scripture should make people think about the meaning Lord. To say he is your saviour is one thing but to say he is Lord means submission.
Not to say perfection as we will make mistakes but we stand and not fall because we are on the rock.

I hope this helps somewhat.
:)

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Hi There.

In the Bible Jesus says to Peter....on this rock i will build my church".. The rock was Peter's confession of Jesus as Christ. Jesus is our rock. He is the cornerstone on which all things are to be built.
When we are building precept upon precept....line upon line of God's Word and getting to know Him intimately we are diggin deep and laying founddations on the rock (Jesus). We know as we do this that we are less swayed by the world, the truth is in us and we are able to stand and weather the storms of life that we could'nt before. This is what He was saying.
Also you couldnt call Him Lord and mean it if you werent obedient and in submission to Him. This scripture should make people think about the meaning Lord. To say he is your saviour is one thing but to say he is Lord means submission.
Not to say perfection as we will make mistakes but we stand and not fall because we are on the rock.

I hope this helps somewhat.
:)
Jesus also told Peter that flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And this is the rock upon which Jesus will build His church.

May 21, 2009
Some people memorise the bible could tell you verse after verse and don't know God at all. Any person who truly has God inside of them knows him and any problems in this world they will know God is with them fighting their battles. Whe troubles and problems come they won't fall apart. They will trust their God.

R

Redeemed79

Jesus also told Peter that flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And this is the rock upon which Jesus will build His church.
Yep...thats right, I wasn't going in depth that far so thanks for adding!

E

ed

Hi nighte,
You are still no further advanced. You say, " Is it for the people that do not follow the law."
Nighte again I say, Christians have died (spiritually) during baptism into Jesus Christ. This death frees them from the law. There is no more law. God has called us to love one another. That is not Christian to love Christian but Christian to love everyone. He has put His requirements on our hearts and in our minds. Also as Jesus Christ is alive he puts requests to us as God put requests to Abraham. This is what we do. We obey.
If you love me you will obey me. If we do not obey then it is obvious that we are putting ourselves first.
love
edwin.

G

greatkraw

Hi nighte,
You are still no further advanced. You say, " Is it for the people that do not follow the law."
Nighte again I say, Christians have died (spiritually) during baptism into Jesus Christ. This death frees them from the law. There is no more law. God has called us to love one another. That is not Christian to love Christian but Christian to love everyone. He has put His requirements on our hearts and in our minds. Also as Jesus Christ is alive he puts requests to us as God put requests to Abraham. This is what we do. We obey.
If you love me you will obey me. If we do not obey then it is obvious that we are putting ourselves first.
love
edwin.
for the believer, all things are lawful

not all things are expedient

we have been freed from (the requirements of) the law

C

Consumed

Jesus gave two commandments, love God, love thy neighbour, when He was asked what was the greatest commandment He still gave two, one of which is hidden in the other nine commandments that make them all up, to love thy neighbour.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

the law is for the lawless

B

BestBeWishing

for the believer, all things are lawful

not all things are expedient

we have been freed from (the requirements of) the law

Beloved,
To say there is no more Law is "Deseption" Jesus said if you want to enter into the Kingdom
"KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS"

"The Messenger of the Covenant"

The New Covenant that Jesus Christ came proclaiming is at the Heart and Core of the Gospel. Remember, only those who enter into this New Covenant with thier Creator will inherit the coming kingdom. Jesus Christ's message was about the kingdom that the Father was preparing, and how His listeners could inherit that kingdom.

Keep the Commandments (King James Version) Old and New

Exodus 15:26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.
Exodus 16:28 And the Lord said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?
Exodus 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Leviticus 22:31Therefore shall ye keep my commandments, and do them: I am the Lord.
Leviticus 26:3If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;
Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.
Deuteronomy 4:40 Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the Lord thy God giveth thee, for ever.
Deuteronomy 5:10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
Deuteronomy 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
Deuteronomy 6:2 That thou mightest fear the Lord thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.
Deuteronomy 6:17 Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.
Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
Deuteronomy 7:11 Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.
Deuteronomy 8:2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
Deuteronomy 8:6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.
Deuteronomy 8:11 Beware that thou forget not the Lord thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:
Deuteronomy 10:13To keep the commandments of the Lord, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?
Deuteronomy 11:1Therefore thou shalt love the Lord thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.
Deuteronomy 11:8 Therefore shall ye keep all the commandments which I command you this day, that ye may be strong, and go in and possess the land, whither ye go to possess it;
Deuteronomy 11:22 For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him;
Deuteronomy 13:4 Ye shall walk after the Lord your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
Deuteronomy 13:18 When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the Lord thy God.
Deuteronomy 19:9 If thou shalt keep all these commandments to do them, which I command thee this day, to love the Lord thy God, and to walk ever in his ways; then shalt thou add three cities more for thee, beside these three:
Deuteronomy 26:17 Thou hast avouched the Lord this day to be thy God, and to walk in his ways, and to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and to hearken unto his voice:
Deuteronomy 26:18 And the Lord hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments;
Deuteronomy 27:1 And Moses with the elders of Israel commanded the people, saying, Keep all the commandments which I command you this day.
Deuteronomy 28:9 The Lord shall establish thee an holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, and walk in his ways.
Deuteronomy 28:45 Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed; because thou hearkenedst not unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which he commanded thee:
Deuteronomy 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deuteronomy 30:16 In that I command thee this day to love the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the Lord thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
Joshua 22:5 But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the Lord charged you, to love the Lord your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.
1 Kings 2:3 And keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
1 Kings 3:14 And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.
1 Kings 6:12 Concerning this house which thou art in building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word with thee, which I spake unto David thy father:
1 Kings 8:61 Let your heart therefore be perfect with the Lord our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.
1 Kings 9:6 But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:
1 Kings 11:38 And it shall be, if thou wilt hearken unto all that I command thee, and wilt walk in my ways, and do that is right in my sight, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as David my servant did; that I will be with thee, and build thee a sure house, as I built for David, and will give Israel unto thee.
2 Kings 17:13 Yet the Lord testified against Israel, and against Judah, by all the prophets, and by all the seers, saying, Turn ye from your evil ways, and keep my commandments and my statutes, according to all the law which I commanded your fathers, and which I sent to you by my servants the prophets.
2 Kings 23:3 And the king stood by a pillar, and made a covenant before the Lord, to walk after the Lord, and to keep his commandments and his testimonies and his statutes with all their heart and all their soul, to perform the words of this covenant that were written in this book. And all the people stood to the covenant.
1 Chronicles 28:8 Now therefore in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the Lord, and in the audience of our God, keep and seek for all the commandments of the Lord your God: that ye may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever.
1 Chronicles 29:19 And give unto Solomon my son a perfect heart, to keep thy commandments, thy testimonies, and thy statutes, and to do all these things, and to build the palace, for the which I have made provision.
2 Chronicles 34:31 And the king stood in his place, and made a covenant before the Lord, to walk after the Lord, and to keep his commandments, and his testimonies, and his statutes, with all his heart, and with all his soul, to perform the words of the covenant which are written in this book.
Nehemiah 1:5 And said, I beseech thee, O Lord God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments:
Nehemiah 1:9 But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there.
Psalm 78:7 That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:
Psalm 89:31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
Psalm 103:18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
Psalm 119:115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.
Proverbs 7:1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
Proverbs 7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Daniel 9:4 And I prayed unto the Lord my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;
Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1 John 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Over Sixty time's in Gods Letter to us is our warning from Jesus and our Father Law's
KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS
Commandments = Law, and Law = Covenant
"In His Service"

Jun 26, 2010

Beloved,
To say there is no more Law is "Deseption" Jesus said if you want to enter into the Kingdom
"KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS"

"The Messenger of the Covenant"

The New Covenant that Jesus Christ came proclaiming is at the Heart and Core of the Gospel. Remember, only those who enter into this New Covenant with thier Creator will inherit the coming kingdom. Jesus Christ's message was about the kingdom that the Father was preparing, and how His listeners could inherit that kingdom.

Keep the Commandments (King James Version) Old and New

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Over Sixty time's in Gods Letter to us is our warning from Jesus and our Father Law's
KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS
Commandments = Law, and Law = Covenant
"In His Service"

So, what is your comment on what PAUL Said

Roman 7: 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

B

BestBeWishing

So, what is your comment on what PAUL Said

Roman 7: 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
LOL
Do you misinterped what Pauls saying or what our Father and Brother is saying here?
over Sixty time's you are told , The Law IS
The Lord say's I will put my law in their minds, and write it (the law) on their hearts, the New Covenant anticipates a time when human beings will have that (LAW)
internalized, Written upon their hearts. Our Father did not set out to change His law; He set out to change the hearts and minds of carnal human beings inherently to his (LAWS) (Romans 8:7)
Jesus Christ came to make possible for the removal of sin and its penalties. He did this by giving His Life as a ransom for ours, paying the death penalty that we have incurred by our attitudes and actions.
It is true we are under Grace, because we Repented and turned from Sin that we recieve that GRACE. SIN = Transgresssion of the LAW
"In His Service"

P

panda_girl

it's talking about the people who ask God for help, the people who ask God what to do... but they don't listen

B

BestBeWishing

LOL
Do you misinterped what Pauls saying or what our Father and Brother is saying here?
The Lord say's I will put my law in their minds, and write it (the law) on their hearts, the New Covenant anticipates a time when human beings will have that (LAW)
internalized, Written upon their hearts. Our Father did not set out to change His law; He set out to change the hearts and minds of carnal human beings inherently to his (LAWS) (Romans 8:7)
Jesus Christ came to make possible for the removal of sin and its penalties. He did this by giving His Life as a ransom for ours, paying the death penalty that we have incurred by our attitudes and actions.
It is true we are under Grace, because we Repented and turned from Sin that we recieve that GRACE. SIN = Transgresssion of the LAW
"In His Service"
Beloved,
I just want to add that, that are those who say that if you seek to live by the Ten Commandments you are engaging in the "works of the law" and are therefore under a curse ( Galatians 3:10). What are the works of the law and why did Paul connect them with being under the curse of the law?

The key to understanding lies in taking note of Galatians 2:16. Here Paul makes plain that what is under discussion is how we become justified--made innocent in Gods sight .

If you and I could bring ourselves into harmony with God by our own actions, what-ever those actions may be, then the sacrifice of Jesus Christ was unnecessary (Galatians 2:21). The idea that man can justify himself by his own efforts srikes at the very heart of the gospel message.

In recent years additional light has been shed on this phrase, used by Paul in Romans and Galatians. Recent translationg of the Dead Sea Scrolls show that the expression "works of the law" was used in the first century Jewish community to refer to human efforst performed in order to gain right standing with God. This often involved the kind of purity rituals that the Pharisees emphasized so much.

Ultimately the issue of the works of the law had to do with obtaining acces to God and maintaining right standing befor Him. You and I can never wash away our own sins through rituals or ceremonies or obtain right standing with God by our own efforts, However, if we are truly converted, then Jesus Christ will be living His life in us (Galatians 2:20) and it will be the same kind of obedient life that He lived on earth almost 2,ooo years ago ( Hebrew 13:8)

It was a life entirely yielded to the will of the Father (John 5:30) and it certainly included practicing the Ten Commandments not merely in the letter, but also in the full spirit and intent.

"In His Service"

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
LOL
"In His Service"
For on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former command because of its weakness and uselessness (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Which part of this do you not understand? The Law made nothing perfect, and so it was set aside, for a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

B

BestBeWishing

For on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former command because of its weakness and uselessness (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Which part of this do you not understand? The Law made nothing perfect, and so it was set aside, for a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

LoL, Vick

What are you talking about?

Look if you want to teach the young Christaines that are coming to know our Father the law was set aside go ahead.

I posted Scripture from our Father that says other-wise

Over Sixty times , I have respect for you Vick, But I'm getting ready to Re-buke you! Sir

But be-warned this is the Mark

"In His Service"

P

paul1149

You've pulled some verses out of context and then injected your own suggestion that law has something to do with them. But context shows that the law of the Mosaic covenant, which Jesus was soon to supersede by establishing His own new and permanent covenant, has nothing to do with what Jesus was talking about.

The sermons on the mount, and on the plain (quoted here), with the Last Supper discourse provide the most concentrated teaching on the principles of the Kingdom - that of and abiding in love and unity. Jesus was teaching who we are in Him and how we are to act. He is saying here that if anyone conforms himself, by obedience, to the image of Christ, nothing this world can throw at him will shake him. He will stand firm and inherit eternal life. But if you choose to build on anything else, such as your own righteousness, your compliance to to the elemental principles of this world, including fear of man, or external religion, your foundation will fail you when you are put to the ultimate test.

G

giantone

You've pulled some verses out of context and then injected your own suggestion that law has something to do with them. But context shows that the law of the Mosaic covenant, which Jesus was soon to supersede by establishing His own new and permanent covenant, has nothing to do with what Jesus was talking about.

The sermons on the mount, and on the plain (quoted here), with the Last Supper discourse provide the most concentrated teaching on the principles of the Kingdom - that of and abiding in love and unity. Jesus was teaching who we are in Him and how we are to act. He is saying here that if anyone conforms himself, by obedience, to the image of Christ, nothing this world can throw at him will shake him. He will stand firm and inherit eternal life. But if you choose to build on anything else, such as your own righteousness, your compliance to to the elemental principles of this world, including fear of man, or external religion, your foundation will fail you when you are put to the ultimate test.
that was very well said