What is the will of God ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

RaceBoy

I've been thinking about this for a while now and I'm wondering what exactly does the God want us to do ? I've read verses (correct me if I'm wrong) about how only those who do the will of God will enter into heaven, and then I've got other people (and verses) saying just believe and confess and you'll be saved. However this is but the only thing that bothers me. The main thing is if I can live my life (not sinning of course) the way I want to, while doing things (I think) God would approve of (feeding the poor, spreading the gospel/reading the Bible,etc). This may be a hard question but if y'all have an answer I would like to hear.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
To know the Will of God, a person must be Transformed.

Romans 12:2 NLT - "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."

The question is . . . how does this Transformation take place? Incredibly, pastors don't teach us the utter obvious, and the obvious is Colossians 2:9-15.

Colossians 2:11-15 NLT - "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature. For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross."

Simply put, no one can know the Will of God if they haven't Turned to Christ for His Spiritual Circumcision. The Sinful Nature prevents a person from understanding the Ways of the Lord as if it were a Veil. The Sin Nature is blinding, thus to see, we must Turn to Christ for Spiritual Healing of our blindness, lameness, deafness.

Romans 8:7 NLT - "For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will."

If you don't believe me, this idea is prophesied multiple times in the Old Testament . . . by God Himself.

Deuteronomy 30:6 NLT - "The LORD your God will change your heart and the hearts of all your descendants, so that you will love him with all your heart and soul and so you may live!"

Of course, as Colossians 2:9-15 above proves, it is Jesus who issues this Holy Circumcision. This, my friend, is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If we think that we're spreading the "gospel" but never mention Spiritual Circumcision, we're just blowing useless wind.

I am certain that the above verses made perfect sense. I hope they find you well and not discouraged.

Mar 4, 2020
I've been thinking about this for a while now and I'm wondering what exactly does the God want us to do ? I've read verses (correct me if I'm wrong) about how only those who do the will of God will enter into heaven, and then I've got other people (and verses) saying just believe and confess and you'll be saved. However this is but the only thing that bothers me. The main thing is if I can live my life (not sinning of course) the way I want to, while doing things (I think) God would approve of (feeding the poor, spreading the gospel/reading the Bible,etc). This may be a hard question but if y'all have an answer I would like to hear.
A really good study tool that I recommend is a website called OpenBible. You should be able to find it no problem via a search engine. It lists Bible verses by topic.

I'll go ahead and share a few with you from the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible.

Romans 12:2
2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
18In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

1 Peter 2:13-15
13Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. 15For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

1 Thessalonians 4:3
3For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

Matthew 6:10
10Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

And that's just scratching the surface. I hope that helps.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
First up, we must be born again. That enables us to see the kingdom of God. We must then be willing to carry our cross and follow Lord Jesus. The cross means death - to sin, to self, to Satan and the world system. God causes us to be born again in an instant, as soon as we believe and accept Christ. Becoming a disciple is a lifelong pursuit. It requires our cooperation with Lord Jesus as He leads and guides us.

It's change by exchange. We hand over all our weakness and strength, ambitions, desires, hopes, fears - all that we are - to Lord Jesus. Let Him sort us us out! We become more useful to His service as we mature. It will be hard. Self will and God's will clash. Ask Abraham, for example. He passed the test as he was willing to sacrifice even his son, the gift of God. The rich young ruler failed. He was not willing to forsake all and follow Jesus. He held onto his riches in this life and lost the riches that await the faithful in the next.

Wanting God's will is good and a sign that you are born again. We need God's grace, because there are times that every fibre of our being rebels against God's will. When we capitulate, which may take time (for me, two years in one instance), we will experience a great freedom. War stops when one party stops fighting. God loves us enough to keep the pressure on us so that we may be set free. I wish I had known these things early on in my Christian life.

The wise person learns from his mistakes. If you are really smart, you will learn from other people's mistakes! We cannot speed up God's transforming process. We are what we are. We can hinder it.

Things that we need to know:
  • God loves us and desires the best for us
  • Lord Jesus is well able to keep us from falling
  • We are deeply flawed and unable to fulfill God's requirements ourselves
  • Lord Jesus lives in us to both motivate and empower us to do God's will
  • It will not be easy.
  • Pride is the greatest threat. We imagine that we improve or become more spiritual than others. God will show you otherwise.
  • God seeks people who are flexible, able to endure hardship and don't get resentful when things go wrong
  • We will make mistakes and we will fail. This is a good thing. We learn more through failure than through success
  • God's grace is ALWAYS sufficient, no matter what
  • Satan is our enemy. Resist him, as he attacks those who want to go God's way
  • Learn who we are in Christ and who He is in us. Victory is already ours. It just does not seem that way sometimes. If Jesus can be defeated, so can we!
  • Stay where God has put you - in Christ.

R

RaceBoy

But what about the ones who say "just believe and do what is right and you can live your life"? They make it seem like u can live my life the way I want as long as I believe and don't sin.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
But what about the ones who say "just believe and do what is right and you can live your life"? They make it seem like u can live my life the way I want as long as I believe and don't sin.
If you are controlled by the Holy Spirit, you won't do the things that you "want" to do, for you are Controlled. When a person has the Indwelling Holy Spirit, guiding and directing them, sin becomes less and less prevalent in that person's life. They [will] be changed.

Romans 8:9 NLT - "But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)"

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
First and foremost RaceBoy BE THANKFUL!!!! ( 1 Thess 5:18) Directly in God's will! NOW!! If I am thankful, would I look to do or say anything to others, where they would think I am not thankful for all the Lord has done for me?? ( Rom 8:1-16) This really is a worthy study!!

If I am your son,would I say or do anything that would make you feel bad?? Of Course not, same with our REAL Father! In reality we do the best we can,not to earn heaven,but rather be an ambassador OF heaven!( 2 Cor 5:11-20!!) Verse 18!!! EVERYONE has a ministry!! Hope this helps!! Blessing to you.

R

RaceBoy

If you are controlled by the Holy Spirit, you won't do the things that you "want" to do, for you are Controlled. When a person has the Indwelling Holy Spirit, guiding and directing them, sin becomes less and less prevalent in that person's life. They [will] be changed.

Romans 8:9 NLT - "But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)"
So I'm basically condemned to hell if I'm not doing ONLY God's will ? I can't at all enjoy my life the way i want to ?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
So I'm basically condemned to hell if I'm not doing ONLY God's will ? I can't at all enjoy my life the way i want to ?
That's a really good question. What I can tell you is this: If you are controlled by the Divine Nature, you will learn to want to be more Righteous and Holy instead of self-pleasing. You will seek the Praise of God, and no longer the praise of humans. You will be changed, and that Changing Power will not be of yourself, but of the Sanctifying Holy Spirit.

More than anything, you need to decide if you want to ask Jesus to lift the Curse of the Sin Nature from your heart. This is equivalent to Spiritually giving up your rights, which are really desires, so that in by Surrendering to Christ, you will no longer enjoy the things that you currently enjoy right now. Believe me . . . I understand the cost, for at one time I had multiple sexual partners within a weeks time. Truly, I was eating multiple apples, wasn't I? But these desires will become tamed; believe it or not, they will become tamed . . . one way or another.

If you ask Jesus to lift this Curse, you will no longer be of the world and your life will become more and more miserable. It is said that by becoming a True Follower of Christ, that you'd be hated. One reason for this, is that you'll become more and more Holy, but your friends won't like that, for your Light will begin to expose their darkness . . . thus father will be against son, mother against daughter, etc.

By Turning to Christ, you will pay a heavy penalty for being Truthful . . . and never lying. You'll find that employers usually want at least a little bit of "lie" just in case they need you to cover them. But believe it or not, some employers aren't looking for honest workers, but dishonest instead. And so this is a True glimpse into what an actual Life for a True Christian is like, and it isn't fun at all. You see, God is looking for people who recognize that although these pleasures, here on earth, are amazing, the Lord wants to see if we have the patience and foresight to see if we might recognize that what is waiting for us in Heaven is infinitely greater. Can we give up the sexual experience for the Eternal, Heavenly experience? Do we really even believe in the Bible? Do I take those Words seriously, that I will be Eternally punished if I live for myself? We all have to roll these dice, don't we?

Trust me as one who has felt the Raw, Almighty Power of God, that it is worth it. Giving up anything that causes your conscience to tell you that you are doing something wrong . . . this is Wisdom. You must Trust that Heaven is everything that the Bible says that it is, and more! You've got to begin taking these ideas of Heaven that [you] have, and you need to respect them . . . to believe them. Belieive me . . . God is waiting for each of us who are not True, to stop playing games and to Truly Turn to Him. There is no time to waste, for I assure you that you are alive because God is allowing it to be. The Lord is watching you . . . always. God is never unaware of what you are doing or what you are thinking and planning to do. This life is a risky life, for those who live carefree, wonton fancey-free lives, these are the ones who are doomed, while those who are suffering, these are the ones whom the Lord offers His Right Hand of Salvation.

Speaking of Jesus . . . Hebrews 2:10 KJV - "For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings."

I hope that I am making sense. Your position is this: Do you want to give up your free right to sin, doing all of the things that you love (this is what it means to pick up your cross and bear it)? When a person gives up their free right to sin so that they can refer to themselves as a "slave to Christ," then they can know that they are ready. But if a person is not comfortable with a life that does not involve sin, then Christ is still far away and may one day say, "Get away from Me, for I never knew you."

It is because of the Circumcision of Christ that results in a Romans 12:2 Transformation experience. When a person has that Curse lifted, their Heart, Soul, and Mind begins to function and think in a way that is of the Divine Nature, hence, this is what it means to "allow God to Transform you," as the Apostle Paul taught. Transformation comes by way of Circumcision . . . Spiritual Circumcision is what your entire life hinges upon. You must be aware of your circumstances, and what the ramifications of your decision will be. But it is not too late, for the Lord is still allowing your lungs to breath . . . you always have that chance to ask His Son to perform His Holy Operation up your heart. If you do this . . . then you will be made Alive! Alive in, by, and through Christ. I hope you will make that decision my friend.

Pastors do not teach the Gospel that is immediately below, but I am sharing it with you now. The below Seven most important verses in the Bible explain the Circumcision of Christ. It is here that you need to decide if you want this life . . . to be "made Alive":

Colossians 2:9-15 NLT - "For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature. For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross."

R

RaceBoy

Your position is this: Do you want to give up your free right to sin, doing all of the things that you love
To be fair I never intended to live a sinful life, I just want to be able to have some fun (in a good way) with my life while occasionally doing things (I think) God would approve of. I like cars and want a car collection (nothing like Jay Leno or anything excessive, just like maybe 5-10 cars), but I don't think God wants me to have that. Therefore I don't believe God really wants me to enjoy my life the way I want to.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I like cars and want a car collection (nothing like Jay Leno or anything excessive, just like maybe 5-10 cars), but I don't think God wants me to have that. Therefore I don't believe God really wants me to enjoy my life the way I want to.
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalms 37:4) If you want something god doesn't want for you, he will give you different desires.
I do wonder why you think the lord would have a problem with you having a car collection, though. Do you want 10 cars for entirely selfish reasons? Or do you want to get 10 cars for god's glory? Sometimes the thing we want isn't the problem, but it's our motivation behind wanting them that might need to change.

Nov 26, 2012
To be fair I never intended to live a sinful life, I just want to be able to have some fun (in a good way) with my life while occasionally doing things (I think) God would approve of. I like cars and want a car collection (nothing like Jay Leno or anything excessive, just like maybe 5-10 cars), but I don't think God wants me to have that. Therefore I don't believe God really wants me to enjoy my life the way I want to.
I believe that would be part of storing up treasures on Earth. I think the greater question is, why do you want so many cars? They are a distraction. I think appreciating the beauty of something can be enjoyed without owning it. Go for test drives. Once they become yours you need to service them (key word being serve). Are you a car worshipper? I’m kidding, just being over dramatic for perspective.

R

RaceBoy

I do wonder why you think the lord would have a problem with you having a car collection, though. Do you want 10 cars for entirely selfish reasons? Or do you want to get 10 cars for god's glory? Sometimes the thing we want isn't the problem, but it's our motivation behind wanting them that might nee
I gonna assume because it's earthly things that God wouldn't want me to store up on cars. As for my reasons of 10 or more cars it's really cuz there's multiple cars that I like and want to drive/own, I don't actually need all those cars though.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I gonna assume because it's earthly things that God wouldn't want me to store up on cars. As for my reasons of 10 or more cars it's really cuz there's multiple cars that I like and want to drive/own, I don't actually need all those cars though.
Y
Your focus is on yourself and not God. You are advancing your kingdom and not His.

R

RaceBoy

I believe that would be part of storing up treasures on Earth. I think the greater question is, why do you want so many cars? They are a distraction. I think appreciating the beauty of something can be enjoyed without owning it. Go for test drives. Once they become yours you need to service them (key word being serve). Are you a car worshipper? I’m kidding, just being over dramatic for perspective.
I like cars so I want the cars that I want (McLaren Senna, 2017 GT40, Porsche Carrera gt,etc) and you're right cars are earthly things but what else do we have here ? And how are cars a distraction ? And go for a test drive but but buy them ? You make zero sense at all, and definitely know nothing about car culture. And no I don't worship cars, although I do have a desire for them.

R

RaceBoy

Y

Your focus is on yourself and not God. You are advancing your kingdom and not His.
I don't want a kingdom I just want to enjoy my life. But you're right though as cars have nothing to do with God, which is why I don't think God really wants me to have that (something that makes me happy).

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I don't want a kingdom I just want to enjoy my life. But you're right though as cars have nothing to do with God, which is why I don't think God really wants me to have that (something that makes me happy).
Perhaps you are mistaken to think having a fleet of cars would make you happy :unsure::geek:

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
There are people starving and without homes to sleep in . . . we need to think about them and no longer ourselves.

Luke 18:22 NET - "When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Do you believe that Luke 18 22 applies to you, or are you exempt?

R

RaceBoy

There are people starving and without homes to sleep in . . . we need to think about them and no longer ourselves.

Luke 18:22 NET - "When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Do you believe that Luke 18 22 applies to you, or are you exempt?
So we are supposed to become poor then ?

R

RaceBoy

Perhaps you are mistaken to think having a fleet of cars would make you happy :unsure::geek:
It won't guarantee happiness, but it will make my life a LOT more enjoyable.