What is your human shield?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

I'll define human shield. In this post it stands for anything you put up as a front to give yourself a certain image to yourself or even to others.

My human shield is my supposed disgust over debating of what to me seems like frivolous topics. I realize this gives me this aura of the agreeable person who doesn't lose his cool over trivialities.

The truth is, I go off like a time bomb if someone says something I view as completely idiotic.!

Last edited:
A

AnandaHya

mine is that I'm innocent and clueless when I really just have too many thoughts and most not very nice or sweet or innocent so I remain silent or say the nicest of them that come to mind when I would rather just tell them the most hateful.

that is why I know the Holy Spirit is stronger and works despite of me not because of me and my heart or thoughts.

I know i'm not a very holy, innocent or good person on my own but God says we don't have to do it alone. for we have the HOLY SPIRIT to guide us.

Sometimes that shield ( i call them mask/ illusions) is needed to keep the peace and give us time to PRAY to GOD for answers. We do not react to the situation, we RESPOND as God promotes us to the whole mess.

God tells us not to sweat the small stuff and that you don't need to get angry about it. Don't lose your cool. Just pray for them and smile.

Here is the pray I say in my head because if I said it out loud they would walk off in a huff and be mad at me

"Dear God please forgive them for their childishness and petty swabbling and help me control my anger and annoyance at them because they really really seem foolish to me and it makes me mad that they waste time fighting instead of doing what YOU told us to do which is preach the good news. why am i surrounded by babies that have not been weaned off the milk and do not LIVE the life God intends for them to? why Lord where are your MATURE christians???? God send me someone to give me hope in this world that I'm not alone in this mess of a place with only babies to keep me company. send me someone who knows of spiritual warfare and is not BLIND and Deaf."

Yeah that's what I pray alot, but it would make most people mad if I said it out loud.

they would accuse me of being prideful but really its out of despair more than anything and I would be glad if they proved me wrong and had Fruit worthy of Repentance: love, joy, patience, kindness, self control, etc. as listed in Galatians 5, but all I see for the most part are fruits of the FLESH.

where there is contention and strife there are all manners of evil. You must identify the source, Rebuke the spirit that causes it and give them God's WORD to heal the battle wounds.

Still_waters don't worry about your mask just remember who you are, YOU ARE GOD's.

YouTube - Who Am I - Casting Crowns

K

kiwi_OT

I'll define human shield. In this post it stands for anything you put up as a front to give yourself a certain image to yourself or even to others.

My human shield is my supposed disgust over debating of what to me seems like frivolous topics. I realize this gives me this aura of the agreeable person who doesn't lose his cool over trivialities.

The truth is, I go off like a time bomb if someone says something I view as completely idiotic.!

My soon to be hubby is exactly the same.
When reading the bible discussion thread topics he either yells his head off or laughs hysterically lol

J

Jullianna

Deep breaths and prayer.

To be perfectly honest, on my own, there are times when envisioning shoving a fist up someone's nostrils and give their eyeballs a very tight squeeze brings a smile; but, it's not the godly manner of laying hands on folks. ;) Sooo...sometimes it's important to step back from a thing, take a breath, and decide whether it's wiser to just let it be (allow someone to remain in their foolishness if they are more interested in being contentious/more impressed with the knowledge of man than in seeking truth/godly wisdom) or whether to do what the Lord would do...speak the truth, but without personal attack. It ain't easy and sometimes it's a fail. But...who's perfect yet? :)

Be blessed!

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Deep breaths and prayer.

To be perfectly honest, on my own, there are times when envisioning shoving a fist up someone's nostrils and give their eyeballs a very tight squeeze brings a smile; but, it's not the godly manner of laying hands on folks. ;) Sooo...sometimes it's important to step back from a thing, take a breath, and decide whether it's wiser to just let it be (allow someone to remain in their foolishness if they are more interested in being contentious/more impressed with the knowledge of man than in seeking truth/godly wisdom) or whether to do what the Lord would do...speak the truth, but without personal attack. It ain't easy and sometimes it's a fail. But...who's perfect yet? :)

Be blessed!
I'm so glad that I'm not the only Christian person who has these kinds of dark thoughts (wanting to seriously deck someone--I have thoughts like this more often than anyone should be willing to admit) and struggles daily with holding back... I fight a lot with the concept of balance--showing Christ's love but yet standing strong when I don't agree with something.

My human shield is definitely humor--I try to use it to deflect a wide variety of situations. The problem is, I'm someone who just can't be "funny all the time"or "on command"--a co-worker of mine told me the other day, "You're not nearly as funny as you used to be." That's because I can only cover up what I'm really feeling for so long. I was thinking to myself... "Sorry, I'm not a trained circus performer..." Though at times, I can be a bit of a clown. :D But if I'm angry enough, the humor shield goes down and the tight-lipped, how-much-longer-can-I-take-this shield definitely goes up.

I've just learned that it's the people who can handle all my "other sides" that are the ones I can truly trust... If all people want to see from you is your shield (and if they're not interested, have enough depth, or don't care enough to notice it), they're not the ones you want to take the time to develop real friendships with.

J

Jullianna

ha ha ha Seoulsearch, I just tried out the humor mixed with mild (okay..maybe not so mild) sarcasm in the evolution thread. I hate to admit it, but it did feel pretty good. LOL It's usually not my style, but it's still better than a tag team smack down, huh? ;)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
ha ha ha Seoulsearch, I just tried out the humor mixed with mild (okay..maybe not so mild) sarcasm in the evolution thread. I hate to admit it, but it did feel pretty good. LOL It's usually not my style, but it's still better than a tag team smack down, huh? ;)
LOL, Julianna, I'd volunteer to be your tag team smack down partner ANY day.

I'm sure it would be a WHOLE lot safer than the other option... (being the person who receives your smack down. *shudders in fear*) :p

Then again, maybe it would put some sense into me... There are times when I'm sure I definitely need it! :)

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I think my human shield is cold hard Logic. When I feel cornered or threated or as in the case of my most recent thread explosion, I like to become unreasonably calculating. I think perhaps it works better for me in person than in typed form but the intention is the same. I grew up in an angry household, my parents settled arguments by virtue of volume. I told myself I would never allow myself to flip the switch in my mind that says its ok to be angry unless all lesser means of communication have failed. I knew at a young age that anger is a choice, a secondary emotion. So rather than expressing something more loudly or with greater gusto, I developed a rather big vocabulary to adequately express the desired meaning of the words I was using, Very Carefully. Each word and phrase has its own flavor, its own expression and its own reaction.

In person I might actually surprise quite a few people here as to how I really am. I'm kind of a quiet reflective guy who likes listening to music and learning new things. I spend a lot of 'Quality Time' with myself doing something constructive with my hands, humming to myself, and thinking about how the love of God runs, unopposed, deep, and in everything.

J

Jullianna

I agree. It is important to attempt to communicate as clearly as possible in a respectful manner, whether we agree with others or not. Some people seem to think that if others don’t agree with them regarding certain things that it’s some sort of personal affront, but I find it very interesting and insightful as long as lines of common courtesy aren’t crossed. But, you’re right that, when volume levels increase, personal attacks are made and those who disagree with us feel that we need to forfeit our right of free speech while they do not, it is foolish to attempt to communicate with them further unless and until civility is restored. But, we’re human and sometimes that’s easier said than done, but humor can be very helpful in this regard. J