What makes a scientific claim?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

• A claim to "follow the science" or "the science is settled"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A claim on the news

• A claim you can see

• A claim that is documented

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2020
Australia

* A claim that uses data
* A claim to "follow the science" or "the science is settled"
* A claim you can test
* A claim on the news
* A claim you can see
* A claim that is documented

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

* A claim that uses data
* A claim you can test
* A claim on the news
* A claim you can see
do you have an example ?

Mar 4, 2020
Honestly, probably anything can pass as a scientific claim. I mean, the scientific method hasn't changed much, but that hasn't prevented science from producing a laundry list of things they were once sure of that ended up debunked. Turns out science isn't an exact science and never has been because it independently verifies it's own claims using it's own flawed methods to come to repeated false conclusions.

Yeah they got some things right, but lost a lot of credibility in the process, especially now with political and social activism invading schools of higher thought. It's all junk now.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Anything testable is by definition scientific.

Anything un-testable cannot be scientific since it cannot be measured.

Now, whether or not the science is correct has to do with bias, this is why the hypothesis is supposed to state bias to make the conclusion as unbiased as possible... However, in modern times the hypothesis has become unbiased and more factual with the conclusion showing bias and skewing the data.

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
Anything testable is by definition scientific.

Anything un-testable cannot be scientific since it cannot be measured.

Now, whether or not the science is correct has to do with bias, this is why the hypothesis is supposed to state bias to make the conclusion as unbiased as possible... However, in modern times the hypothesis has become unbiased and more factual with the conclusion showing bias and skewing the data.
I want to respond but we'll wait to hopefully get more votes

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

* A claim that uses data
* A claim you can test
* A claim on the news
* A claim you can see
A claim is to state something is true, especially when open to question; assert, or maintain.

So to be scientific, this must be a truth claim that not only has been tested but ultimately verified by data.

As to why I chose data. I can test to prove evolution but if I claim it to be true without data or evidence then this makes their scientific claim false.

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
do you have an example ?
Use your own example. Think out loud. Make one up. Share ideas. Two very good perspectives above...

@Roughsoul1991 @T_Laurich Lauric

Excellent input guys...
Im hitting the sack soon. Hopefully, we have a good discussion going here...

Both you guys disagree... Lets begin, politely but... Who has infinite knowledge?
Not us. So none of us can ever make an infallible claim

Its a good idea to define terms like truth and fact before getting deeper, even claim... They actually struggle to determine claim, is it a view, a belief, a thought. Im not sure I agree with Roughs first part that a claim is basically true. But I'm not sure of his definitions

There is something to think about there... God Bless and peaceful truth seeking

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Use your own example. Think out loud. Make one up. Share ideas. Two very good perspectives above...

@Roughsoul1991 @T_Laurich Lauric

Excellent input guys...
Im hitting the sack soon. Hopefully, we have a good discussion going here...

Both you guys disagree... Lets begin, politely but... Who has infinite knowledge?
Not us. So none of us can ever make an infallible claim

Its a good idea to define terms like truth and fact before getting deeper, even claim... They actually struggle to determine claim, is it a view, a belief, a thought. Im not sure I agree with Roughs first part that a claim is basically true. But I'm not sure of his definitions

There is something to think about there... God Bless and peaceful truth seeking
Is 2+2=5 a infallible?

Truth is define by God. The Word, Logos and logic. God tells us to ask for wisdom and to gain an understanding. God created the universe and laws within it. So our reality should match that of God's for example biologically we know a male cannot become a female and this also matches God's design.

K

KT88

Peer review by qualified scientists.

E

EleventhHour

* A claim that uses data
* A claim you can test
* A claim on the news
* A claim you can see
What do you mean by scientific claim?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Scientific Method: a method of procedure that has characterized the classifications of the natural world since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Scientific Method: a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.
therefore a 'scientific claim' is one that is made on the basis of the formulation & testing of hypothesis per the scientific method.
a claim is scientific when it is a statement justified by the evaluation of results from hypothesis-testing.

a '
hypothesis' isn't a scientific claim. it's a hypothesis. so a 'testable hypothesis' isn't a scientific claim, but a claim made on the basis of data acquired through the testing of a hypothesis, is.

K

KT88

therefore a 'scientific claim' is one that is made on the basis of the formulation & testing of hypothesis per the scientific method.
a claim is scientific when it is a statement justified by the evaluation of results from hypothesis-testing.

a 'hypothesis' isn't a scientific claim. it's a hypothesis. so a 'testable hypothesis' isn't a scientific claim, but a claim made on the basis of data acquired through the testing of a hypothesis, is.
Ya, I could have, should have said that lol

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
a scientific claim may be invalidated if the evaluation of experimental & observational data that supports it is invalidated.
a scientific claim may be invalidated if the experimental design that supports it is invalidated.
a scientific claim may be invalidated if the carrying out of the experiment that supports it is invalidated.

E

EleventhHour

a scientific claim may be invalidated if the evaluation of experimental & observational data that supports it is invalidated.
a scientific claim may be invalidated if the experimental design that supports it is invalidated.
a scientific claim may be invalidated if the carrying out of the experiment that supports it is invalidated.
My son is doing Phd in Mechanical Engineering .

He tests steel for points of fracture under different conditions. He has told me that an even in the area of mechanical engineering, a very applied science, in a lab with concrete materials most test results are not able to be replicated.

So are there really many "scientific claims" as in replicated and deemed to be direct causation, probably not.

K

KT88

He tests steel for points of fracture under different conditions. He has told me that an even in the area of mechanical engineering, a very applied science, in a lab with concrete materials most test results are not able to be replicated.
Material testing is somewhat of a different case.