What method do you use to approach the bible ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
This seems to be the issue with many 'differences ' . What method are we using ? This is key . Are we seeing even basic reading comprehension fly out the window and 'mystical ' ethereal ' , approaches being adopted instead ? which is the best approach ,and why ?
Thoughts?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I think many do have such a yearning for the ethereal that we too often dismiss the wonder of the 'mundane' we should otherwise appreciate. If we consider Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus as insight on how to approach life as much as scripture, we could more readily see the miracle in the more 'basic' things, such as common childbirth for example, and therefore better understand the ethereal aspects of our existence, and vice versa. I'd rather separate neither one from the other.

John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

John 3:12
If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Are we seeing even basic reading comprehension fly out the window and 'mystical ' ethereal ' , approaches being adopted instead ? which is the best approach ,and why ?
Do you consider seeking the understanding of the Holy Spirit to be mystical and ethereal? If so, you might as well punt the ball right now because even the best reading comprehension of men will do nothing to unlock the deep and awesome truths and glory and wisdom of God's Word. We need to become like children and confess that we need God.

T

TheIndianGirl

I take the "Five Ws" approach - who, what, when, where and why. I try to understand the context of what I am reading, so I also pay close attention to the footnotes in the Bible. I also use a couple of other books from my NT class for greater understanding. We also need to be guided by the Holy Sprit, but for me personally understanding the context helps me in that process.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Do you consider seeking the understanding of the Holy Spirit to be mystical and ethereal? If so, you might as well punt the ball right now because even the best reading comprehension of men will do nothing to unlock the deep and awesome truths and glory and wisdom of God's Word. We need to become like children and confess that we need God.
Agreed! It is the Spirit who reveals the truth to us as we endeavor to understand God's word. For regarding this Jesus said regarding the Holy Spirit: "He will bring to your remembrance everything that I have told you and reveal things yet to come." Unfortunately we are living in the days where scripture says that people will not put up with sound doctrine, but to suit their own desires they will gather around themselves teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will abandon the truth and turn aside to myths.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
This seems to be the issue with many 'differences ' . What method are we using ? This is key . Are we seeing even basic reading comprehension fly out the window and 'mystical ' ethereal ' , approaches being adopted instead ? which is the best approach ,and why ?
Thoughts?
Start by praying for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation. Revelation enables us to see the true meaning of the Word. Wisdom is what we should do with what we have seen.

Methods help initially. I focused on the NT primarily. Much of what we need to know from the OT is quoted in the NT anyway. I have a natural curiosity and desire for knowledge - if a subject interests me. I transferred that desire to Bible study. I would spend hours looking at the cross references and I gained a pretty good knowledge of the Bible overall. I used a daily devotional at first, which kickstarted my interest.

We need to be very careful. Study for the sake of it is of little value. We need the Word to transform us. No study is even worse. The current emphasis on experiences over preaching and teaching is a recipe for deception. God's people are still being destroyed for lack of spiritual knowledge. Two hours of singing is no substitute for sound doctrine. It is good to praise the Lord, but far better to come to know Him and His ways.

Many are prophesying a "fourth wave" revival or "last days harvest" or similar terms. I would love to see true revival, but what has been "prophesied" is not it. Lord Jesus warned us that a deception would come that would deceive the elect. Only the knowledge of the truth will keep us from being deceived. Countless Christians were deceived by the so-called Toronto Blessing. It was obviously false to those who were awake spiritually. The next deception I believe will be more subtle and harder to discern.

If we will humble ourselves and seek to know the truth, God will take care of us. "I don't know" is a very safe attitude. God delights to reveal Himself, something that took me years to understand. At the same time, truth is precious and not easy to obtain. It is costly, like gold. We must spend time with God. The Christian life is not automatic.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
No ,thats not what I meant .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Of course the question is aimed at saved people and the Holy Spirit ,is a given .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Agreed! It is the Spirit who reveals the truth to us as we endeavor to understand God's word. For regarding this Jesus said regarding the Holy Spirit: "He will bring to your remembrance everything that I have told you and reveal things yet to come." Unfortunately we are living in the days where scripture says that people will not put up with sound doctrine, but to suit their own desires they will gather around themselves teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will abandon the truth and turn aside to myths.
Yes Jesus said to the apostles / disciples that the Holy Spirit would do that for them . To bring it to their rememberence .Then we read what the Holy Spirit reminded them . This could be an example to my point .

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Regarding the question in the Title of the OP:

With a sincere and contrite heart, seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Thoughts?
People either read the bible with their mind or with their heart. The key is getting people to read the bible, it's good, it's positive if people read their bible, don't knock it in any way shape or form.

I read it and allow God to plant which seeds He will.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Thoughts?
Just reading it usually works for me! :p

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
People either read the bible with their mind or with their heart. The key is getting people to read the bible, it's good, it's positive if people read their bible, don't knock it in any way shape or form.

I read it and allow God to plant which seeds He will.
I agree . I do think people are ' knocked ' by systematic theology ,when they would have been better off simply reading the bible .

Jan 14, 2021
The law is written in the heart and mind. As much as we must lead with our heart, leading with our mind is important too. God is not the author of confusion, but of peace. There must be a logical sense to the word of God. Therefore we can approach scripture with formal logic.

Formal logic does not always reveal a unique answer. There are conflicting interpretations that each are consistent with scripture but not with each other. First we determine which concepts are consistent with scripture, and then our heart draws us to an answer that compels us. With the humility in understanding that our ability to reason is subject to error and that our convictions can be misplaced, we turn to God to guide that process and keep that aim true. We turn to our neighbours (those that God's love shines through) to help guide our thinking and place our hearts in the right place.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
The day will come when all of heaven and earth agree, I think this must've been the ideal plan from the beginning but, until then, I appreciate even the briefest glimpses into God's perfectly logical and sound reasoning despite my inherent tendency to careen toward insanity.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Thoughts?
I'll answer this by giving what I think is the very worst approach. This is the post-modern approach that says the scriptures don't have any one correct interpretation. They can't be read as conveying historic realities. The only meaning they have is whatever meaning is conveyed to the reader as they read. People who approach the Bible this way will often say, "Well, what this means to me is. . ." Everyone's interpretation has just as much validity as the next persons; and everyone's opinion has to be respected.

Paul had a great way of addressing this. In 1 Corinthians 11:19 he says: "For there also have to be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you." He's saying there must be factions because not everyone can be right. Some are right and some wrong.

Jan 14, 2021
I'll answer this by giving what I think is the very worst approach. This is the post-modern approach that says the scriptures don't have any one correct interpretation. They can't be read as conveying historic realities. The only meaning they have is whatever meaning is conveyed to the reader as they read. People who approach the Bible this way will often say, "Well, what this means to me is. . ." Everyone's interpretation has just as much validity as the next persons; and everyone's opinion has to be respected.

Paul had a great way of addressing this. In 1 Corinthians 11:19 he says: "For there also have to be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you." He's saying there must be factions because not everyone can be right. Some are right and some wrong.
I have no idea what you mean by "post-modern".

In the case of a parable or metaphor, whose opinion is the one correct interpretation? Observing that there are more than one interpretations that are consistent with scripture is not "post-modern." For each interpretations, people will feel compelled differently.

I don't agree with your analysis of 1 Cor 11:19

Let's look at the TPT:

"I’ve been told many times that when you meet as a congregation, divisions and cliques emerge—and to some extent, this doesn’t surprise me. Differences of opinion are unavoidable, yet they will reveal which ones among you truly have God’s approval.[a] When all of your house churches[b] gather as one church family, you are not really properly celebrating the Lord’s Supper.[c]" - 1 Cor 11:18-20 TPT

Footnotes
  1. 11:19 Differences of opinion between believers expose our hearts. Mature ones will overlook offenses and faults in order to maintain the precious unity of the body of Christ. Immature ones will cause splits, divisions, and cliques around their respective opinions. The ones whom God approves are those whose hearts remain pure in spite of petty differences.
  2. 11:20 Implied both in the text and by the cultural context of the day.
  3. 11:20 Paul is implying that it is the Lord’s Supper, not merely a meal for favored ones. Jesus is hosting the meal for the benefit of all every time we gather for communion.