What! no flour? Try some 15 min homemade bread - in a mug

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 8, 2020
UK
If you love bread, like I do, but find all the online shopping slots are filling up faster than you can get to them, or that the shops have run out of flour, then you might like this recipe which I found online. As I don't eat wheat, I managed to find some alternatives on Amazon, so I decided to try HEMP SEED flour which is rich in protein. RECIPE as follows: 1 egg, 1 cup of hemp seed flour (35 grams), 1 teaspoon of baking soda/baking powder. After the first go, I also added 1 tsp of honey / coconut sugar to sweeten the nutty taste a bit. OK, now grab a ceramic mug (ovenproof or microwave proof). I recommend lining it with some greaseproof paper (cooking parchment) but you can just put the ingredients straight in the mug. Mix it all up and put it either in the microwave for 15 minutes or in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees C. It's quite light and fluffy and a bit like a muffin. You can cut it into rounds. Great keto bread recipe! It took me a couple of goes to get it right.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Sounds like it may be worth a try. I love bread too. I'm starting to see flour back on the shelves in the grocery store.

May 8, 2020
UK
Sounds like it may be worth a try. I love bread too. I'm starting to see flour back on the shelves in the grocery store.
Yes, people went mad here in the UK panic-buying for a while; now it has quietened down, and it is a little easier to find stuff online.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yes, people went mad here in the UK panic-buying for a while; now it has quietened down, and it is a little easier to find stuff online.
I got flour and I will try your bread in a mug recipe in the microwave.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
If you love bread, like I do, but find all the online shopping slots are filling up faster than you can get to them, or that the shops have run out of flour, then you might like this recipe which I found online. As I don't eat wheat, I managed to find some alternatives on Amazon, so I decided to try HEMP SEED flour which is rich in protein. RECIPE as follows: 1 egg, 1 cup of hemp seed flour (35 grams), 1 teaspoon of baking soda/baking powder. After the first go, I also added 1 tsp of honey / coconut sugar to sweeten the nutty taste a bit. OK, now grab a ceramic mug (ovenproof or microwave proof). I recommend lining it with some greaseproof paper (cooking parchment) but you can just put the ingredients straight in the mug. Mix it all up and put it either in the microwave for 15 minutes or in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees C. It's quite light and fluffy and a bit like a muffin. You can cut it into rounds. Great keto bread recipe! It took me a couple of goes to get it right.
Im not into bread making but I cant see any flour shortage in my part of london. For most products the panic buying in Supermarkets
appears to be over including Toilet Rolls! Whats wrong with ready made Bread and Cakes? We have a Turkish Owned Shop near us and
their Bread is out of this world!

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
The dreaded five minute restriction got me at post 5 reply

I wanted to add that if you cant go shopping yourself there are volunteer groups that will shop for you, Many operate from food banks
and often comprise of local church members. Trying to buy on line is a no hoper

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The dreaded five minute restriction got me at post 5 reply

I wanted to add that if you cant go shopping yourself there are volunteer groups that will shop for you, Many operate from food banks
and often comprise of local church members. Trying to buy on line is a no hoper
My daughter shops online frequently... you just have to be willing to wait for your order to be filled, which, once you keep inserting yourself in a queue for ordering, you are then simply replenishing your supplies and not ordering items you are in dire need of. Since I am high risk on a number of counts, my daughter adds items to her lists for me, and consults with me over her lists often, a fact for which I am grateful. I am going to pick up groceries from her today :D Once I had all the tinned foodie goods I could think I might need before I was laid off work, and the shelves started becoming bare and restrictions being put in place, I eventually came to realize what I wanted most was fresh fruits and vegetables, and so that has become the bulk of what I receive from her now :) Of course some items are unavailable or replaced with something inferior, or in less quantity than you asked for, and that can be problematic, perhaps. Prepared pizza dough not available? It is quite easy to make your own ;) Really it is just a flat bread ;)

Some restaurants here have also started selling produce, and delivering food :)

May 8, 2020
UK
My daughter shops online frequently... you just have to be willing to wait for your order to be filled, which, once you keep inserting yourself in a queue for ordering, you are then simply replenishing your supplies and not ordering items you are in dire need of. Since I am high risk on a number of counts, my daughter adds items to her lists for me, and consults with me over her lists often, a fact for which I am grateful. I am going to pick up groceries from her today :D Once I had all the tinned foodie goods I could think I might need before I was laid off work, and the shelves started becoming bare and restrictions being put in place, I eventually came to realize what I wanted most was fresh fruits and vegetables, and so that has become the bulk of what I receive from her now :) Of course some items are unavailable or replaced with something inferior, or in less quantity than you asked for, and that can be problematic, perhaps. Prepared pizza dough not available? It is quite easy to make your own ;) Really it is just a flat bread ;)

Some restaurants here have also started selling produce, and delivering food :)
Magenta, I saw a cooking demo on Youtube making pizza dough with only 2 ingredients: a cup of flour and a cup of Greek yoghurt. Not any good for me but it might be useful. I think you just knead like bread, flatten out, then put what you want on top.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Magenta, I saw a cooking demo on Youtube making pizza dough with only 2 ingredients: a cup of flour and a cup of Greek yoghurt. Not any good for me but it might be useful. I think you just knead like bread, flatten out, then put what you want on top.
I have a standard dough recipe which I modified after looking at and trying out a few scone/bread/cake alterations :)

For every two cups of flour I add:

3-4 Teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Liquid to thoroughly moisten dough (can be a mixture of milk,
yogurt, water, oil, apple sauce to replace oil, etc.)

The liquid amount is about a cup, but add in stages after
blending dry ingredients to ensure dough is not too runny.
You should be able to mix it with your hand or a very stiff spatula.
Apple sauce does add moisture, so not as much milk or water
would be required. Cubed cold butter can also be cut into a cake.

It is that simple! If you are making a pizza crust, herbs and
spices can be blended into the dry ingredients, such as:

Garlic powder
Rosemary (crushed)
Basil
Cayenne or Black Pepper
Mrs Dash, or any other flavor you favor :)

I rarely measure these things LOL

If I am making a cake, I will add vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa powder, plus nuts (I favor pecans over walnuts), dates, raisins, cranberries, chocolate chips, banana, peanut butter, and perhaps some lemon juice (depending on the cake), maple syrup, and a very small amount of some sweetener like Truvia (a sugar and Stevia mix). Of course I do not add all those things to one cake :giggle: If I am making an apple cake (using a tin of apple pie filling), that right there reduces the amount of sweetener I need to add, on top of which I will blend in raisins, pecans, and a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon. You can always dust a bit of sugar and cinnamon on top of the cake, also :) Vanilla is often if not always called for in cake recipes even if you are making a chocolate cake :whistle:

Dough recipes are very forgiving as long as you have enough salt and baking powder to support the rising action. None of my cake mixes resemble in any way the stuff that comes out of a box :oops: They are all fairly thick doughs, and because of that, I bake them in a bundt pan at 375 F for about 50 minutes. Pizza crust is flattened and so bakes a lot faster: maybe 20-30 minutes at 400 F. I add the toppings half way through the cooking time for pizza :D

Here is my apple, pecan, maple syrup, cinnamon and raisin cake:

I am due to bake a cake again very soon, and hope to duplicate this one :D

May 8, 2020
UK
I have a standard dough recipe which I modified after looking at and trying out a few scone/bread/cake alterations :)

For every two cups of flour I add:

3-4 Teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Liquid to thoroughly moisten dough (can be a mixture of milk,
yogurt, water, oil, apple sauce to replace oil, etc.)

The liquid amount is about a cup, but add in stages after
blending dry ingredients to ensure dough is not too runny.
You should be able to mix it with your hand or a very stiff spatula.
Apple sauce does add moisture, so not as much milk or water
would be required. Cubed cold butter can also be cut into a cake.

It is that simple! If you are making a pizza crust, herbs and
spices can be blended into the dry ingredients, such as:

Garlic powder
Rosemary (crushed)
Basil
Cayenne or Black Pepper
Mrs Dash, or any other flavor you favor :)

I rarely measure these things LOL

If I am making a cake, I will add vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa powder, plus nuts (I favor pecans over walnuts), dates, raisins, cranberries, chocolate chips, banana, peanut butter, and perhaps some lemon juice (depending on the cake), maple syrup, and a very small amount of some sweetener like Truvia (a sugar and Stevia mix). Of course I do not add all those things to one cake :giggle: If I am making an apple cake (using a tin of apple pie filling), that right there reduces the amount of sweetener I need to add, on top of which I will blend in raisins, pecans, and a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon. You can always dust a bit of sugar and cinnamon on top of the cake, also :) Vanilla is often if not always called for in cake recipes even if you are making a chocolate cake :whistle:

Dough recipes are very forgiving as long as you have enough salt and baking powder to support the rising action. None of my cake mixes resemble in any way the stuff that comes out of a box :oops: They are all fairly thick doughs, and because of that, I bake them in a bundt pan at 375 F for about 50 minutes. Pizza crust is flattened and so bakes a lot faster: maybe 20-30 minutes at 400 F. I add the toppings half way through the cooking time for pizza :D

Here is my apple, pecan, maple syrup, cinnamon and raisin cake:

I am due to bake a cake again very soon, and hope to duplicate this one :D
I'll be round for cake and coffee if I'm ever in the neighbourhood! Thanks for sharing. :-D

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Where has all the Flour gone? Long time passing!

May 8, 2020
UK
It is my understanding that the young girls have picked all of the flour off the grocery store shelves.
Was it Marie Antoinette who said: "What, no bread?" Her answer: "Let them eat cake". So there you have it, bros. Problem solved. Have a great day.

May 8, 2020
UK
Whoops! Am I going daft or something? It was SESAME SEED FLOUR (fat reduced) and not Hemp Flour! Honestly! Probably Brain Strain from self-isolating for so many weeks..... Ha Ha. Well, my SESAME FLOUR BREAD in a mug is very tasty and very nutritious. Sorry for misleading you all!

G

Godsgirl83

Was it Marie Antoinette who said: "What, no bread?" Her answer: "Let them eat cake". So there you have it, bros. Problem solved. Have a great day.
butchya still need flour to bake a cake (unless it;s a flour less cake)........
so watch me run to the store to get some more flour, lol

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Ah yes but unfortunately cake wasn't the lovely, sweet fluffy cakes we have now. When you had leftover porridge that had hardened, that was called cake. That is why it was so infuriating that this spoiled, free spending monarch had the attitude that if the poor could afford bread then they could suffice with a variation of leftover gruel (history geek here, can you tell?).

G

Godsgirl83

When you had leftover porridge that had hardened, that was called cake.
that must be where we get the phrase "caked on" when we don't rinse the dishes right away and gunk dries on them.

May 8, 2020
UK
Ah yes but unfortunately cake wasn't the lovely, sweet fluffy cakes we have now. When you had leftover porridge that had hardened, that was called cake. That is why it was so infuriating that this spoiled, free spending monarch had the attitude that if the poor could afford bread then they could suffice with a variation of leftover gruel (history geek here, can you tell?).
Interesting, LaughingHeart, I didn't know that. Thank you. She sounds like an out-of-touch ruler to me. I hear talk of riots here, too.