What Should Christians Think of Governments That Criminalize Homosexuality?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

paulsfam4

[h=1]Matthew 20:25–28 BUT Jesus called them to him and said, h“You know that the rulers of the Gentiles ilord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 26 jIt shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,3 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,4 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but kto serve, and lto give his life as a ransom for mmany.”[/h]

K

kayem77

Everything you said - none of it determines morality.

Homosexuality is unnatural? So what, that doesn't determine morality.
Homosexuality doesn't result in procreation? So what, that doesn't determine morality.For Christians, God's word is enough. For non-Christians, it's obviously not - you need something even secularists can get behind. And in your attempts to find secular reasons to oppose homosexuality or speech promoting homosexuality as not immoral, you don't have a case.
You have a point, but I think you are wrong. Yes, a lot of people who disagree with homosexuality have religious reasons ( though I have found many that are not religous and are still disgusted by it), but just because their convictions are rooted in religion doesn't mean they don't have a case. I disagree with lying, adultery,fornication, etc for religious reasons, but common sense and experience have proved those regulations to be correct. I believe it's the same with homosexuality. God didn't just write the Bible to mess with our fun. And in reality, doesn't matter how much society pushes for homosexuality, it's simply not the same as a heterosexual relationship, and they know it. I hate to say it, but it really is common sense. Homosexual activities are wrong.

But......other sexual activities are wrong too. As well as other sins. Even though I believe homosexual lifestyle is sinful, I still believe anyone has the right to free expression. In America, it seems the Govt is wrongly denying this right to Christians, as AoK brought to attention with some recent cases involving business owners and gay customers. On the other hand, we have other nations that don't allow gays to express themselves. I believe both are wrong. Maybe it's not that gay propaganda is wrong, but rather ALL propaganda. Because propaganda tends to be deceitful. But if we are to ban only one kind of propaganda (in Russia's case being gay propaganda) then it would be unfair. We either ban all, or none. Another issues that I would have is with defining propaganda. I wouldn't like the Govt labeling all free speech as propaganda.

At the end, the world will only show what's in their heart, and banning their freedom of speech would only bring harm and unecessary division. As long as the Church is allowed to practice her faith and preach against sin, then I think we shouldn't be so worried about the world supporting sin, because that's just the world being....the world.

Sep 10, 2013
A

AgeofKnowledge

I have a problem with intolerant liberals and homosexuals tyrannically wielding the government, via Civil Rights legislation intended to normalize race and gender, to tyrannically deny Christians their civil rights and severely persecute them for refusing to facilitate normatively immoral activities (note: an activity is not a person) that violate their free moral conscience (a human right under natural law) and religious convictions toward morality (something the Bill of Rights was originally designed to protect).

Liberals and homosexuals are evil, intolerant, and tyrannous when they engage in this behavior and as repressive as the Stalinists of the 20th century.

Feb 16, 2014
Alright, I'm done here.

You don't support freedom of speech. You say you do, and you try to tell us propaganda isn't free speech, but really you're just suppressing people's voices who disagree with you.

You also pretend Christians are having their rights violated. But guess what, it isn't a violation of your rights when other people are allowed to do something.

You people are intolerant, freedom hating, elitists.

A

AgeofKnowledge

I DO support freedom of speech. I DO NOT support imprisoning and bankrupting every Christian who refuses to violate their free moral conscience and religious convictions toward morality and facilitate a normatively immoral event or activity when ordered to do so.

If you supported freedom of speech and freedom of religion you would not want to deny Christians their civil rights and imprison and bankrupt them for refusing to provide a cake, or photographs, or flowers for events and activities that are historically normatively immoral.

But many modern progressive liberals don't support real human rights. They malign them so they can wield government as a tool of tyranny and severe persecution upon all who refuse to facilitate historically normatively immoral events and activities that they decide should be facilitated in their opinion.

What hypocritical malarkey. You don't know the first thing about genuine tolerance and natural law. You might as well be swinging a truncheon on a Christian in the Soviet Union for Stalin. At least those monsters didn't hide in a voting booth to do their dirt like the modern progressive liberal monsters seeking to implement tyranny and persecution on moral Christians in the West today.

Just remember, you'll have to give an account to God Himself for exercising tyranny and severe persecution on His people when you meet Him and I guarantee that doesn't end well for you.

Think about that when you're punching those little holes out in the voting booth to send moral Christians to prison and bankrupt them and their families.

Alright, I'm done here.

You don't support freedom of speech. You say you do, and you try to tell us propaganda isn't free speech, but really you're just suppressing people's voices who disagree with you.

You also pretend Christians are having their rights violated. But guess what, it isn't a violation of your rights when other people are allowed to do something.

You people are intolerant, freedom hating, elitists.

Mar 1, 2012
If you do not agree with a liberal, you are stupid or a bigot.

If you disagree with a liberal and are a christian, hold on to your hat, you are evil incarnate.

Isn't it funny how liberalism so clashes with the morals of christianity?

I will state it again, and you can look to previous posts for confirmation of this statement, homosexuality is a sin, just like all the other sins, because, those who practice it are hurt by it.

Physically. The shorter lifespans, the increased chance of stds and hepatitis, and the destruction of the anal canal.

Spiritually, without question.

Morally, as pointed out the acceptance of gay marriage has indeed led to other marriage perversions, polygamy.

There is only one reason why the gay agenda is promoted...to...get...more...sex...partners.

Period.

A

AgeofKnowledge

All true but I can live with a plurality in society until Christ's return.

Ironically, "liberals" cannot. They seek government power to tyrannously and severely persecute Christians for not giving them their cake when they order for their homosexual "wedding."

They're about as liberal as Stalin was.

M

MarkMulder

"What Should Christians Think of Governments That Criminalize Homosexuality?"

Well, it's a crime in God's eyes, at least homosexual ACTS are, so I see no problem there.

K

kayem77

"What Should Christians Think of Governments That Criminalize Homosexuality?"

Well, it's a crime in God's eyes, at least homosexual ACTS are, so I see no problem there.
A lot of crimes are a crime in God's eyes.Actually, every sin is a crime before God's eyes, every sin is a crime against His very holy nature. I sure wouldn't like my every sin being punished by the Government....

Sep 10, 2013
A lot of crimes are a crime in God's eyes.Actually, every sin is a crime before God's eyes, every sin is a crime against His very holy nature. I sure wouldn't like my every sin being punished by the Government....
I'm sorry. I read more carefully what Mark Mulder said and you are right.
But sin, only affects us, not God. It's against us that we sin, against our nature.
Again, sorry for having misread what you said.
God bless you!

Last edited:
K

kayem77

I'm sorry. I read more carefully what Mark Mulder said and you are right.
But sin, only affects us, not God. It's against us that we sin, against our nature.
Again, sorry for having misread what you said.
God bless you!
It's okay :). But when we sin, we sin against God not us, and we are actually just following our nature when we sin, because our nature is sinful. I mean, sure, we also harm ourselves and others in the process, but the offense is mainly against God (Ex 10:16, Gen 39:9)

I already said in the OP that I believe a homosexual lifestyle is sinful, so my issue is not that. My issue here is freedom of expression. I don't like homosexual marches nor do I agree with homosexual relationships, but I don't believe banning the right to support those things is the solution. I also believe the State should grant anyone a right to oppose those practices, but not get the government involved in the process. As long as anyone has a right to support or oppose something, I have no problem.

P

PeterPolitik

I do have an agenda. And I believe everyone has one too. My agenda would be to make sure everyone accepts Christ as their Savior and their Lord. However, I know this is not possible for me. Only God can do that. And I believe this is the Church's job, not the state's. My question is not wether we agree with homosexual marriage or not, as I said, I already stated that it is sinful (because God says so). My question is...to what extremes are we willing to go in order to accomplish our agenda? What's the church's role and what's the state's role?

Just curious to see people's answers.
the state doesn't appear to understand anatomy, procreation or other simple matters related to civilized behavior.
which is why christians should be involved in politics, without becoming extremists. the idea being christians become a moderating force in society.

it would be at this point someone would bring up the buffoons at westboro as an example of why christians should not have public opinions or be involved in politics.

Mar 1, 2012
Its not only about pride in your sin. Its promotion.

Someone who is a sexual deviant obsesses about sex. It clearly, defines them. I do not go around saying I am a heterosexual and when I was promiscuous ( a sexual deviancy as well ) my focus was on that. I put myself in many places to meet my deviancy and was vocal about it being ok.

Homosexuality is sexual deviancy. They are lost in their sins like I was lost in mine.

I would not support a law against homosexuality but I think we should curb, socially, its promotion. Unfortunately, today that is called bigotry.

...and men will worship self and their own knowledge.

K

kayem77

Its not only about pride in your sin. Its promotion.

Someone who is a sexual deviant obsesses about sex. It clearly, defines them. I do not go around saying I am a heterosexual and when I was promiscuous ( a sexual deviancy as well ) my focus was on that. I put myself in many places to meet my deviancy and was vocal about it being ok.

Homosexuality is sexual deviancy. They are lost in their sins like I was lost in mine.

I would not support a law against homosexuality but I think we should curb, socially, its promotion. Unfortunately, today that is called bigotry.

...and men will worship self and their own knowledge.

That's how I feel too. By the means of sharing the gospel and sound doctrine we can oppose homosexuality. Sadly, it is true that this is called bigotry nowadays.

Feb 16, 2014

Supporting gay rights is not the same as supporting laws that imprison people for refusing service for gays. Just because it's wrong to imprison people for refusing service to gays DOES NOT MEAN we should keep homosexuality illegal for that reason.

It's not a matter of two choices: Keep homosexuality illegal and allow people to refuse service to gays. Or legalize homosexuality and make it a crime to not serve them. NEWSFLASH - WE CAN HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

But hey, AOK, your reading comprehension is pretty poor, so if you need me to create a diagram for you - let me know.

You people view human rights as anything that doesn't contradict your religious views - meaning no religious freedom allowed. I support true freedom, which includes freedom of religion. I believe people must CHOOSE the religious life - not have it forced upon them.

If you believe homosexuality is a sin, fine! Preach the word! But when people disagree with you, don't whine that they're violating you rights. They aren't. There are some people who are wrongfully imprisoned and it does stem from issues regarding lack of freedom. For example, you can't refuse service to gays. But hey, I already said we should have the right to refuse service to whomever we want (just in case you blood forgot). But when people want to legalize homosexuality without forcing religious people to serve homosexuals - then your rights ARE NOT BEING INFRINGED.

Please, learn to read.

This freedom loving, libertarian, American, is out.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2014
the state doesn't appear to understand anatomy, procreation or other simple matters related to civilized behavior.
which is why christians should be involved in politics, without becoming extremists. the idea being christians become a moderating force in society.

it would be at this point someone would bring up the buffoons at westboro as an example of why christians should not have public opinions or be involved in politics.
Sex isn't solely for procreation, nor is marriage. Your argument is invalid.

You don't seem to understand sex and marriage. : |

You need to understand, not everyone views marriage and sex the same way you do. This is why people wear condoms during sex. This is why some people have anal sex. In fact, it's why some people have gay sex. Because sex, to them, is for pleasure.

And this is why we have couples who use birth control getting married, couples who can't procreate because of age or infertility issues getting married, etc. Marriage isn't just about procreation.

Just because something isn't necessarily designed for a certain task doesn't mean we can't use it for other tasks. If someone wants to buy a shoe and use it as a hat - it's their right.

Last edited:
J

jahsoul

This freedom loving, libertarian, American, is out.
Not to poke the hornets nest, but most freedom loving (which I am), libertarian (while I like a lot of libertarians, I don't place myself under that umbrella), Americans (American enough to serve my country) that I associate with understand that this whole "gay rights" battle is a farce because no rights are being infringed on. (shoot, even Antoine "Hide yo kids, hide yo wife" Dodson understand this) If the government had no hand in personal matters, none of this would even matter today.