M
MyLighthouse
Guest
First off, SORRY if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure which one to post it on.
Heres what I need advice on:
I made a friend from China almost a year ago. It was for language exchange- I help him with English and he helps me with Chinese. I'm usually a pretty bold person and share my faith naturally, but this hasn't been the case. For some reason it hadn't really hit to me until the other day. My friend was telling me about a holiday they celebrate in China this time of the year that deals with the dead(sort of like Mexico's- Day of the Dead). In this he said he looked up holidays we in America celebrate, he found Easter.
He continued to explain that the word, Easter, in Chinese means to raise from the dead. Afterward saying that he said," Americans celebrate a man's death and we celebrate the many deaths. I was shocked thinking, Does he really not know why we celebrate Easter? Does he not know who the "man" is? I just let him continue telling me about his holiday and thinking the whole time, "What should I say?"
I looked into the area in China he's from and found that it's only been introduce to the gospel the last 7 years, roughly (many churches were ran out). So it's very likely he has no idea of Jesus. I've taught children and told the gospel to many people, but for some reason I'm at a complete blank with this one. Should I ask what he believes in? Should I just explain Easter's meaning to him? Where do I begin? What is too much?
Advice, verses, prayer, etc. I appreciate any and all of it!
Heres what I need advice on:
I made a friend from China almost a year ago. It was for language exchange- I help him with English and he helps me with Chinese. I'm usually a pretty bold person and share my faith naturally, but this hasn't been the case. For some reason it hadn't really hit to me until the other day. My friend was telling me about a holiday they celebrate in China this time of the year that deals with the dead(sort of like Mexico's- Day of the Dead). In this he said he looked up holidays we in America celebrate, he found Easter.
He continued to explain that the word, Easter, in Chinese means to raise from the dead. Afterward saying that he said," Americans celebrate a man's death and we celebrate the many deaths. I was shocked thinking, Does he really not know why we celebrate Easter? Does he not know who the "man" is? I just let him continue telling me about his holiday and thinking the whole time, "What should I say?"
I looked into the area in China he's from and found that it's only been introduce to the gospel the last 7 years, roughly (many churches were ran out). So it's very likely he has no idea of Jesus. I've taught children and told the gospel to many people, but for some reason I'm at a complete blank with this one. Should I ask what he believes in? Should I just explain Easter's meaning to him? Where do I begin? What is too much?
Advice, verses, prayer, etc. I appreciate any and all of it!
