What should we be teaching our kids about sex?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I'm not going to bash public schools as evil. I'm not going to bash homeschooling either.
I went to public schools, evolution was never taught one time, and there was no need to. That was possibly a Virginia thing. I do remember we skipped several chapters in the text books.
My former spouse was homeschooled, and she could barely read and write, but everyone's experience may be different.

A

Ariel82

Who watches your kids while you are at school or your two jobs?

God must have blessed you with an awesome support network.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
I'm not going to bash public schools as evil. I'm not going to bash homeschooling either.
I went to public schools, evolution was never taught one time, and there was no need to. That was possibly a Virginia thing. I do remember we skipped several chapters in the text books.
My former spouse was homeschooled, and she could barely read and write, but everyone's experience may be different.
that's sad about your ex, Tommy. we homeschooled, and had a large network of other families with whom we did lots of things. those kids have grown up to be doctors, nurses, veterinarians, PhD engineers, and a host of other professions. almost all of them graduated from college, including my kiddos. they went to good schools and were told by their profs how delighted they were to have former homeschoolers in the class, because they had been taught how to learn, and were diligent.

that said, not all homeschoolers are as type A about it as we all were. i know there are parents who just give the whole thing a pass, or give up after elementary school. these are the ones who really ought to look for other options, imo.
if you're going to do something....do it to the glory of God.

stand2

Dec 6, 2017
I still think there is no reason whatsoever girls or women need to know how to put on a condom. (Do they think it prudent for boys to learn how to use a tampon.? Ew, ew on both fronts. lol) However, exactly who is teaching your son how to put on a condom? And when? :eek:
All of this is just providing validation to teens that promiscuous sex (actually known as fornication) is acceptable behavior. Whenever I find myself in the company of young people, I always make it very clear to them what my views are on "responsible" behavior and the value "individuality"has when making decisions. You have to have a conscience first before it can be your guide.

Aug 31, 2017
Who watches your kids while you are at school or your two jobs?

God must have blessed you with an awesome support network.
I go to school online and my kids come to my jobs with me. One of my jobs is a daycare, so I work extra hours for free to pay for their "childcare." They stay with me, but because they are taking up space other children can't use, I "volunteer" a couple of overnights a week in addition to my daily hours. While I am working the overnights (while children are sleeping), I will do my schoolwork online or while my girls are doing their gymnastics/ballet classes. Each only take one class and the other will do their schoolwork beside me as I do my own schoolwork.

I do have an amazing support system in God. People, not so much.

Last edited:
A

Ariel82

wow that is amazing and inspirational.

U

Ugly

It's not at all uncommon that kids graduate public schools completely illiterate. Kids learn how to work the system, rather than do the work. The public school experience is largely random. It depends on the teachers, the administrators, etc... some schools have excellent teachers, admins and programs. They have high rates of success while other schools are lucky to have a 50% graduation rate.
But even the best public schools aren't immune. Columbine was considered a good school in a wealthy neighborhood.
On A&E they've been airing a show where they send adults into a high school as students to see what the teachers and admins never get to. The principal seems like a wonderful woman, genuinely caring and wanting to see the students do well. Her view of the school is 'we are great. we are one big family'. It's a nice looking school. With other faculty that seem to care.
But the kids, literally, sit on their phones in class. One kid was actually on a video chat on his phone During Class. The teacher said nothing despite the 'no phones at school' rule.
The race problems are abundant, despite the teachers assertion that race isn't really an issue in her school.
And the sexual harassment in the school is out of hand. Any even decent looking girl gets bombarded with sexually suggestive (or explicit) messages, guys seeking dates (and if refused will insult the girl), etc... There are even chat rooms the guys go into, password protected, and they talk about who wants to have sex with which girl. Place bets on how long it will take to bed someone. Etc...
And we haven't even gotten into the rampant liberalism. And, yes, evolution is the standard in most public schools and has been for decades.

And, actually, the quality of education in homeschool depends more on the parent than anything else. I had a gf once that decided to homeschool her kids. She had no teaching qualifications, but she learned what she needed to do. All of her kids are graduated now. One went to a bible college for a while, but dropped out and is now a married mom of two working at the same church as her pastor husband. Her next is away at college. Her last is flopping, but that's not from a lack of education but other issues.
I also have family that have two daughters graduated from homeschooling and two more still going at it. The daughters are ALL extremely bright, sweet, happy and very talented in multiple areas. They all have wonderful artistic talent, play multiple instruments, sing, ride horse and who knows what else, i'm not too close to them. The two oldest recently went off to school, got an apartment with a third long time friend. They have been active for years playing music, even recorded an album or two and have won many awards individually for their musical talent.
The truth is many colleges and universities Seek Out homeschooled kids. They tend to be more well educated, have a larger variety of skills and talents, have greater focus, more experiences in life in general and are just as good socially as any public school kid. Often times better because they don't come with all the baggage that kids pick up in public schools so they're less prone to get into trouble.

Homeschool fails when A) a parents main goal is to keep the child away from 'evil', and not to get an education, B) use it as an excuse to be lazy, or even a chance to be abusive, C) don't take the time and effort to learn what needs to be done, how to do it, where to get help, find out what, if any, resources are available in their area and then follow through and utilize them.

If i had kids (which i probably never will) i would prefer homeschooling over public school, no hesitation.

My gf at the time new a woman that started homeschooling until high school, then let her daughter go to public school. Her sweet, conservative daughter began acting out, dressing skimpy, skipping school work, or school, rebelling and having a constant attitude, all in la few months of public school. And this was yet another quality public school.

Whether a Christian parent decides to send their child to public school or homeschool isn't my business. There is no single right answer. A parent has to us wisdom and go by their conscience to decide. Some parents would simply be a bad teacher and have no business trying to homeschool. I'll always encourage it, but i won't criticize someone for choosing to send their kids to public school either.