What to wear?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What to wear on a formal evening reception.

• Long, wrapped deep yellow dress without sleeves.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Long, ice blue wrapped woollen dress with long sleeves

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Long cute dress with pale roses woth a bit of cleavage

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • White blouse and skirt.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

toinena

I am going on a pretty important event on Monday. It is a formal workrelated reception, and it is going to be very warm.

What do you guys like to wear when you want to impress? Do you put modesty first, or is it ok with some cleavage? What about jewelry and makeup.

The poll is open until Monday.... As it is then the big event is. But I hope the discussion would be longer than a few days.

K

Kim82

Modesty comes first for me. I can still be nicely dressed without showing cleavage and other body parts.

It would be good if you could posts pics of the dresses you had in mind.

J

Jennie-Mae

That really depends on what level of formal and what you want to communicate to other people.

A white blouse, and skirt, is safe, but clearly has a hint of daytime events and at the office outfit.

An evening reception requires something less office-ish.

It should be a dress.
It should be long.
It should be something smooth, silky, maybe.

Cleavage? It’s up to you. Cleavage, and the part of the body above the cleavage isn’t so much about modesty, it’s about how feminine you want to be

What color? Depends on so much. Your skin tone, your hair, your makeup preferences, and, not to forget, is it outdoors or indoors? What kinda shoes are you planning on?

Clutch or purse?

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
They all sound pretty to me. I wouldn't wear the woolen dress unless it's cold out .

The yellow one or the floral one sounds like tip pick to me.

T

toinena

It is the Mayor of Oslo that is the host in the town hall. Both staff, administration, guests and students will be present. I want to look professional as well as being true to myself. It is indoors, but we walk from the concert hall to the town hall. I might wear a shawl over my shoulders, but it depends on temperature.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
I voted for the ice blue dress, only cos I like the colour blue and that it’s long. I don’t mind wearing short dresses but only if they go past the knee. But I also like floral summer dresses that are long :)

Hope you have fun!

garet82

Jan 20, 2011
I really love dress. For me dresses expressing my feeling. By the colours i can tell the world if all the beauty of live can be enjoyed by ourselves.
Dresses making me non formal coz everyday i hv to use uniforms to work. Thats why dresses making me cheerful and happy :)

L

LaVieEnRose

I voted for the pink, since it is summer time. The yellow looks the dressiest, so I now vote for that. I think a scarf or pashmina would look very nice with the yellow. If you wear the yellow, you should wear yellow gold jewelry- not silver. Since it is a dressy event, you should wear jewelry and makeup. I would do my makeup like normal, as experimenting may not be a good idea. You might want to wear your hair in a chignon or something classy. Wear heels if you are used to wearing heels. If not, wear wedges.

If your shoes are open toed, paint your toenails. The yellow has a few wrinkles. Is it silk? If it is, do not iron with steam as silk is not supposed to have water on it. You may want to have a dry cleaner press it for you.

L

LaVieEnRose

If you wear your hair up, make sure it is not severely pulled back- if you wear a chignon, have a few tendrils on the sides and the top needs to be teased up a little- not flat.

The rule with jewelry is this: put everything on you want to wear, then take one piece off.

Make sure you have on a good bra, one with support, and make sure you have on spanx or a slimming undergarment to make you smooth.

If you wear earrings, definitely wear earrings. Since it is a formal event, studs or small hoops- nothing real big or strange looking.

If you use the yellow, the shawl or pashmina should have some yellow in it, to pick up the color- or it can be complementary like a royal blue. You would not want a red one- it would clash. Brown is a no go as a shawl, for the yellow as well. Black is elegant. If you use a black shawl, wear black shoes.

NO PURSE!!! Needs to be a clutch. No purse with a strap. You could use a handbag with handles if it is super dressy, but a clutch is more formal.

Since you are playing the bassoon, go get your nails done. They don’t have to be painted a color, but should have at least a clear coat of polish. I adore French manicures, they are elegant. Nude fingernails would look nice, too.

I know I’m kind of a jerk, but I have good fashion sense.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
The most modest dress should always win over a less modest one.

If dresses are all modest, then colors and other estetic things can get into the game.

J

Jennie-Mae

The most modest dress should always win over a less modest one.

If dresses are all modest, then colors and other estetic things can get into the game.
Would you prefer a modest dress that was totally out of fashion, with the wrong color due to your skin tone, that didn’t match anything or would you prefer a less modest dress that in fact made you feel good?

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Would you prefer a modest dress that was totally out of fashion, with the wrong color due to your skin tone, that didn’t match anything or would you prefer a less modest dress that in fact made you feel good?
The modest one.

T

toinena

Well. I go for the yellow one. I got my hair cut just now, so I will wear it down. And I will color my brows and lashes. No clutch, because I don't need it. And no jewelry. I simply forgot that at home.... otherwise I would have a pearl necklace. Why do I feel like I am going to a prom or something?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Truthfully, with your coloring and red hair, yellow wouldn't look good on you. I vote for the white blouse and skirt.. Just make sure you color accessorize with whatever color the skirt is.

T

toinena

Party is done. I wore the yellow dress, and got lot of positive feedback about it. It was a fun night. 20180625_201344.jpg

L

LaVieEnRose

I’m glad you chose the yellow, it looks summery. I’m glad you had a good time.