What unanswered questions arise as you read the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 30, 2020
I am someone who ponders everything, have a problem with taking something at face value.
While searching for answers, “That’s just the way it is” and, “I don’t know” never sat well within me.

So I wonder with many on this site, what questions have you pondered while reading?
What verse or story do you find that is left unanswered ?

For instance, In Genesis, where did that piece of flesh come from that the Lord God patched up from the removed rib?

I am not asking this question to imply that I have any answers, just doing it for the sake of discussion and maybe some of us have wondered about the same thing.
In my Bible (KJV) it says that God closed up the flesh instead thereof. I suggest you get a different version of your bible.:)

Dec 30, 2020
Fair point. Where were the riots while Jesus was being crucified?
When Jesus was taken and then crucified, all of the apostles and followers ran for their lives in fear. Peter denied Him three times. It was after Christ rose again and then ascended into heaven to get glorified ( filled with the Father's Holy Spirit in order to form a spiritual body ) that Christ sends His Spirit ( which is given to Him by the Father) along with the Father's Spirit to save those that the Father chooses to fill Christ's spiritual body with. On the day of Pentacost, Christ sends the Comforter ( the Holy Spirit of the Father and Son) to fill the apostles and those inside with courage, communion with the Father and Son, power, and knowledge.

P

pablocito

In my Bible (KJV) it says that God closed up the flesh instead thereof. I suggest you get a different version of your bible.:)
I agree with you and this subject has been beaten to death as a dead dog and really shouldn't be debated about.

The reality of the situation is that the children of God should not be getting into debates with unbelievers. That is why they are called unbelievers. They will not believe anything that they read in the bible.

In fact they are not suppose to be able to understand the bible, else they would be exactly like us. The things in the bible are spiritually discerned and it is no surprise that they do not understand.

Unfortunately there are those among us who foster strange and combative beliefs that do engender strife and would like very much to see God's people fail or try and prove them wrong. This really is time wasting and we should not take the bait else God may become angry with us.

Eph 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Oh,no, we no longer as human, but son of God.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
I still think you are using man's logic which is opposite to God's logic and which often leads people astray. All of your statements are beautifully said and possibly could be given an award by man's system of appraisal.

But they are not of God, and could only possibly lead you astray from the pathway of truth.
A man must say what he means and means what he says. Everything comes from the heart.

You may say or ask, who am I to judge. I judge not to condemn, but rather to save. This life is the only place to be saved. After this life is the judgment and it the word of God that will come back to judge us.

I hope you go back to the word of God and read this verse Proverbs 16: 9 and find the truth that could set you free.
Oh,really?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I am sorry as I only read the first line of your response before starting to answer this post. I am only human and a very deficient one at that and therefore I can only do one thing at a time. Hopefully I will get around to reading the rest of your post.

You are not only calling Jesus Christ a liar but you are saying that the bible is full of deceptions and lies when you refuted Jesus's statement that God is the only one good.

I not sure what to say to you as this makes discussion impossible as we are on two different planets.

It is very possible that the foundation of your belief is based on falsehood and thus it has led you to being as far away from God as the heavens are from the earth.

Again if you cannot accept the words of Jesus who told Pilate that he did nothing in secret and said nothing in secret but that everything he did and said is public knowledge for all to see, then you must be like the Pharisees who saw only what they wanted to see and thus they were considered blind and under the control of their father the Devil.

You are my human brother and thus I cannot condemn you but can only advocate that you take another look at the bible's fundamental concepts to see where you might have gone wrong.

Jesus on the cross said to God, " Why has thou forsaken me" , Jesus on this earth had acquired the sins of everyone whose names are in the book of life"
lol on read to here.

Jesus question was a leading question to teach the man that he the man was not good by depending on keeping the law and not on grace of God.

Scripture does show that there are good people.

Matthew 1:19
Joseph was a good man

Matthew 13:17
Many prophets and good people were eager to see what you see and to hear what you hear.

Matthew 23:29
You Pharisees and teachers are nothing but show-offs, and you're in for trouble! You build monuments for the prophets and decorate the tombs of good people.

aside text, but good text to know:
Luke 3:16
John said, “I am just baptizing with water. But someone more powerful is going to come, and I am not good enough even to untie his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

(Matthew 27.57-61; Mark 15.42-47; John 19.38-42)
There was a man named Joseph, who was from Arimathea in Judea. Joseph was a good and honest man, and he was eager for God's kingdom to come.

Directly contradicts the claim that Jesus is not God.

John 10:33
They answered, “We are not stoning you because of any good thing you did. We are stoning you because you did a terrible thing. You are just a man, and here you are claiming to be God!

Romans 13:3
Rulers are a threat to evil people, not to good people.

Mar 4, 2020
I am not aware of any war in heaven.
Well let me show you what the Bible says. From what I have read in the below passage, if some or all of this is literal, then it would suggest that since they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb then it would be a prophecy of a post-crucifixion event, but seems to take place shortly before a later event known as the great tribulation. The context continues into chapter 13.

So back to the question: did the war in heaven happen yet. Here are your options.

1. Yes
2. No
3. I don’t know
4. I don’t want to answer

The War in Heaven
Revelation 12:7-12 KJV
7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 10And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. 11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. 12Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

P

pablocito

I hope you read the verse I gave you. The problem with God and the bible in this world is that it is impossible for us to do anything to save ourselves.
(What is impossible for man is possible for God.)

God does a supernatural work on us to do things that we could never do in a trillion years by ourselves. The glory always go to God, and as much as we would like to take some of that glory it is not possible.

We really cannot love. We cannot muster up enough love to even love an ant, or even our spouses or our family.

Love comes from God and it is God who gives us the capacity and the power to love.

Faith comes first but as Peter says in 2nd Peter 1, there are 6 or 7 other things we have to covet and acquire in order for our full assurance of a heavenly kingdom. Virtue is 2nd. Knowledge is 3rd and it is so important for us to have knowledge (true knowledge of God) because without knowledge of God the Jews were destroyed.

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Hos 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

P

pablocito

lol on read to here.

Jesus question was a leading question to teach the man that he the man was not good by depending on keeping the law and not on grace of God.

Scripture does show that there are good people.

Joseph was a good man

Many prophets and good people were eager to see what you see and to hear what you hear.

You Pharisees and teachers are nothing but show-offs, and you're in for trouble! You build monuments for the prophets and decorate the tombs of good people.

aside text, but good text to know:
Luke 3:16
John said, “I am just baptizing with water. But someone more powerful is going to come, and I am not good enough even to untie his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

(Matthew 27.57-61; Mark 15.42-47; John 19.38-42)
There was a man named Joseph, who was from Arimathea in Judea. Joseph was a good and honest man, and he was eager for God's kingdom to come.

Directly contradicts the claim that Jesus is not God.

John 10:33
They answered, “We are not stoning you because of any good thing you did. We are stoning you because you did a terrible thing. You are just a man, and here you are claiming to be God!

Romans 13:3
Rulers are a threat to evil people, not to good people.

I guess you are reading a different version of the bible.
I am using the original version the King James version.

Your version said:
Joseph was a good man

My version said:
Mat 1:19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.

Your version said:

My version (KJV) said:
Mat 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Your version said:

My version said:
Mat 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

The list goes on and on. I am not sure what version of the bible you are using, but I would suggest that you switch to the king James version. We do not chose the King James Version, because it is God who chose it for us or led it to us.

P

pablocito

Well let me show you what the Bible says. From what I have read in the below passage, if some or all of this is literal, then it would suggest that since they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb then it would be a prophecy of a post-crucifixion event, but seems to take place shortly before a later event known as the great tribulation. The context continues into chapter 13.

So back to the question: did the war in heaven happen yet. Here are your options.

1. Yes
2. No
3. I don’t know

The War in Heaven
7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 10And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. 11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. 12Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

I will get back to you tomorrow or later as my mouse has stopped working.

P

pablocito

1. Yes
2. No
3. I don’t know

The War in Heaven

OK, we are moving into unchartered waters in the sense that we will not get a complete picture of many things that are spiritually above our understanding, which is OK, as those things are not necessary for us to know, because they are not necessary for our salvation.

The picture is that the woman who was sheltered in the wilderness by God away from the Devils attack upon here to kill her (by a flood) is safe in God's domain.
Now at this time the Devil, knowing that he had little time left went to do war with God's people who include us in these last days.

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

You could actually say that God threw him down to the earth to accomplish his will for the world.

Rev 12:13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

The devil did not cast himself down to earth but it was God who cast him down to earth. Then he did what he did best and that was to deceive mankind as he did to Eve in the garden of Eden.

When the bible says that they overcame him by the blood of Christ, it means that those saints who presently are in heaven ruling with Christ, had to be persecuted and die physically here on earth in the first century and afterward be caught up into heaven where they would rule with Christ, (Rev 20)

Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

These are the saints of the first century who had to die (martyred) in order to be raised up to heaven with those who had previously been martyred and were waiting for God's judgement to avenge their persecution and death.

The biggest error in thinking is that the saints who died in the first century did not immediately go into God's kingdom. The thief on the cross was promised the kingdom the same day he was on the cross. The beggar by the gate of Dives, the rich man immediately went into the kingdom of God into the bosom of Abram.

We in the these last days will only be resurrected on the last day, Judgment day to stand trial for our works.
Rev 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

The reason why I said that we are getting into unchartered waters is that in the arena of God's kingdom there is no time. There are no consecutive events. (This is beyond our ability to understand) and that is the reason why the book of Revelations is somewhat murky to most of us. We try to read it as we would a man-written book.
It is only in the spirit that we can truly understand the book of Revelations. (Remember that John was in the spirit on the Lord's day and this is how we also experience the word of God, in these last days.)

1Pe 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

I am somewhat guilty for speaking things that can only be received by the spirit of a man directly from the Spirit of God, and not from man to man.

Mar 4, 2020
OK, we are moving into unchartered waters in the sense that we will not get a complete picture of many things that are spiritually above our understanding, which is OK, as those things are not necessary for us to know, because they are not necessary for our salvation.

The picture is that the woman who was sheltered in the wilderness by God away from the Devils attack upon here to kill her (by a flood) is safe in God's domain.
Now at this time the Devil, knowing that he had little time left went to do war with God's people who include us in these last days.

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

You could actually say that God threw him down to the earth to accomplish his will for the world.

Rev 12:13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

The devil did not cast himself down to earth but it was God who cast him down to earth. Then he did what he did best and that was to deceive mankind as he did to Eve in the garden of Eden.

When the bible says that they overcame him by the blood of Christ, it means that those saints who presently are in heaven ruling with Christ, had to be persecuted and die physically here on earth in the first century and afterward be caught up into heaven where they would rule with Christ, (Rev 20)

Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

These are the saints of the first century who had to die (martyred) in order to be raised up to heaven with those who had previously been martyred and were waiting for God's judgement to avenge their persecution and death.

The biggest error in thinking is that the saints who died in the first century did not immediately go into God's kingdom. The thief on the cross was promised the kingdom the same day he was on the cross. The beggar by the gate of Dives, the rich man immediately went into the kingdom of God into the bosom of Abram.

We in the these last days will only be resurrected on the last day, Judgment day to stand trial for our works.
Rev 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

The reason why I said that we are getting into unchartered waters is that in the arena of God's kingdom there is no time. There are no consecutive events. (This is beyond our ability to understand) and that is the reason why the book of Revelations is somewhat murky to most of us. We try to read it as we would a man-written book.
It is only in the spirit that we can truly understand the book of Revelations. (Remember that John was in the spirit on the Lord's day and this is how we also experience the word of God, in these last days.)

1Pe 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

I am somewhat guilty for speaking things that can only be received by the spirit of a man directly from the Spirit of God, and not from man to man.
Okay to you the book of Revelation is 100% non-literal aside from the fact it’s John’s vision, which was literally a vision? And that’s what you received directly from the Spirit of God?

P

persistent

The War in Heaven
My take is this happened at the crucifixion. Which is the section underlined. Doesn't sound good for us earthlings>>>((((Woe to the inhabiters of the earth)))))No wonder the world has troubles.

P

pablocito

Okay to you the book of Revelation is 100% non-literal aside from the fact it’s John’s vision, which was literally a vision? And that’s what you received directly from the Spirit of God?
When Jacob wrestled with God (an angel, the messenger of God), he did not physically fight the angel (angels are spirits), but it was a spiritual engagement. (We are not only flesh, we are also spirit (Gen. 6:3)

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years

The bible is a spiritual book, so when Paul says that we fight not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers of darkness, it is a spiritual fight.

This stuff about literal can lead you astray. Yes, the bible is spiritual-literal but not earthly literal.

Even Paul was turned a little bit upside down when he was taken into the 3rd heaven. To be sure it was real, but he saw and heard things that were forbidden for a man. But what is impossible with man is possible with God.

Therefore this war in heaven is not of the type that you would see here on this earth with fists flying and guns roaring.

Remember God is sovereign and he approves and ordains all things. Some for testing, some for proving etc. etc. etc.

Remember John 3 - Nicodemus was a master of the Jewish faith and yet because of lack of faith, he could not understand earthly things, much less heavenly things. It is God who brings us this understanding with our approval.

You cannot prove God through me, you have to prove him for yourself

P

persistent

When Jacob wrestled with God (an angel, the messenger of God), he did not physically fight the angel (angels are spirits), but it was a spiritual engagement. (We are not only flesh, we are also spirit (Gen. 6:3)

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years

The bible is a spiritual book, so when Paul says that we fight not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers of darkness, it is a spiritual fight.

This stuff about literal can lead you astray. Yes, the bible is spiritual-literal but not earthly literal.

Even Paul was turned a little bit upside down when he was taken into the 3rd heaven. To be sure it was real, but he saw and heard things that were forbidden for a man. But what is impossible with man is possible with God.

Therefore this war in heaven is not of the type that you would see here on this earth with fists flying and guns roaring.

Remember God is sovereign and he approves and ordains all things. Some for testing, some for proving etc. etc. etc.

Remember John 3 - Nicodemus was a master of the Jewish faith and yet because of lack of faith, he could not understand earthly things, much less heavenly things. It is God who brings us this understanding with our approval.

You cannot prove God through me, you have to prove him for yourself
Progress

P

pablocito

My take is this happened at the crucifixion. Which is the section underlined. Doesn't sound good for us earthlings>>>((((Woe to the inhabiters of the earth)))))No wonder the world has troubles.
John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

You are not too far from the truth. But you cannot become too dogmatic as we know that the spiritual realm is timeless (transcends time).

The above verse seems to suggest that Jesus could not exist in this world (1st century) at the same time when Satan began to rule the earth. (in the 1st century)

It's a bit more complicated, and there are things that I cannot say until I have the confidence to say them unequivocally.

Mar 4, 2020
Jacob received a hip injury from this non-literal spiritual wrestling? Genesis 32:31,32

God’s Spirit does strive with man though, just not “always.” Hence why God shortened people’s physical lifespans.

Yes this section is about literal spiritual warfare, not literal fighting, but that doesn’t rule out that spirits cannot fight. The weapons of spiritual warfare are different than physical, but they are still weapons. Ever read the bit in Daniel 10 about angels fighting?

Verse?

Paul didn’t know if he was in his body or out of his body when this happened. By his own admission it may have been physical, but he wasn’t totally sure.

And Jesus was surprised Nicodemus didn’t understand. Even now I still see many people misunderstand that John 3 passage the same way Nicodemus misunderstood it.