What unanswered questions arise as you read the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pablocito

Jacob received a hip injury from this non-literal spiritual wrestling? Genesis 32:31,32

God’s Spirit does strive with man though, just not “always.” Hence why God shortened people’s physical lifespans.

Yes this section is about literal spiritual warfare, not literal fighting, but that doesn’t rule out that spirits cannot fight. The weapons of spiritual warfare are different than physical, but they are still weapons. Ever read the bit in Daniel 10 about angels fighting?

Verse?

Paul didn’t know if he was in his body or out of his body when this happened. By his own admission it may have been physical, but he wasn’t totally sure.

And Jesus was surprised Nicodemus didn’t understand. Even now I still see many people misunderstand that John 3 passage the same way Nicodemus misunderstood it.

I understand your view on Jacob's physical injury.
The old testament saints were physical/spiritual in the sense that God could not teach us (in today's world) with pure spiritual events. Therefore he had to appeal to the physical side of us to bring us into the spiritual.

That is the reason why Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more lest a worse thing happen to her.
Also Ananias and Sapphira dropped down dead, so the church could take note and take heed of God's requirements.

But today the child of God is to be pure spiritual.

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

1Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Also the physical things in the old testament were only a shaddow, the tabernacle, sacrifices, etc etc.

P

persistent

It's a bit more complicated, and there are things that I cannot say until I have the confidence to say them unequivocally.
Romans 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

P

pablocito

Romans 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

This section of the bible is much misunderstood, and has led to people believing in a physical rebuilding of the temple, on this earth in the future.

This will definitely lead to many Christians falling away as no such thing will happen. The Jews do not exist in our world of today.

Rom 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

A remnant will be given life from the dead.

Rom 11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

The Jews were diminished (or reduced) by the Gentiles being grafted in and both are now one in God on the same vine.

But the fall of them (total destruction) ushered in a new world (us), not only us but every man, woman, child, whether Jew, Greek, Chinese, black or white.

P

persistent

The Jews do not exist in our world of today.
Isaiah 11:12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.

Mar 4, 2020
I understand your view on Jacob's physical injury.
The old testament saints were physical/spiritual in the sense that God could not teach us (in today's world) with pure spiritual events. Therefore he had to appeal to the physical side of us to bring us into the spiritual.

That is the reason why Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more lest a worse thing happen to her.
Also Ananias and Sapphira dropped down dead, so the church could take note and take heed of God's requirements.

But today the child of God is to be pure spiritual.

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

1Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Also the physical things in the old testament were only a shaddow, the tabernacle, sacrifices, etc etc.
Okay well, I don’t take a hyper spiritual approach to reading the Bible. We’re physical beings, like it or not, but we are also spiritual beings. That’s just the reality. The physical and spiritual aren’t as far apart as some may think.

P

pablocito

Isaiah 11:12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.

Isaiah was speaking covenant 1.
Paul was speaking covenant 2.

Hebrews definitely declare that the Old covenant has passed away, and the new one came in at the time of reformation. We are under the second covenant.

The bible is so complicated that we can only allow the Holy Spirit to lead and to reveal the truth in his own time.

There are things that I am not stating at this time as I believe that God wants me to go very slowly in coming into truth.

Isa_28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Peter also says this:

1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
1Pe 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

P

pablocito

Okay well, I don’t take a hyper spiritual approach to reading the Bible. We’re physical beings, like it or not, but we are also spiritual beings. That’s just the reality. The physical and spiritual aren’t as far apart as some may think.

The bible states that God is able to divide the spirit from the soul. (this is not a random saying as nothing in the bible is random)

The soul of man is that which will be destroyed (in hell). The spirit is from God and according to Solomon will return to God. (Of course the soul (complete man) will be saved for those who are children of God.

Again I must say that we cannot understand everything but we must accept everything stated by the bible and seek to understand the truth about them by God in his perfect fullness of time or his appointed time for us individually.

P

pablocito

Do you remember what Jesus said? I'm not following my own will, I'm following my father's will.
When God's will became ours will, that is also free will.
If you love God with all your heart ,mind and soul.
John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
John 5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

Joh 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
Joh 2:24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
Joh 2:25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

Could you quote the verse that you are referring to as many people are quoting from versions which are altered to make the English more understandable, which was not God's intention. (The translators of those versions may not have the Holy Spirit and thus are using their own wisdom.)

The only use of the word "freewill" in the bible is in conjunction with freewill offerings, eg. a sacrifice etc. If you can find any verse in the bible that speaks to man's freewill explicitly, then please let me know. I will explain the verse.

P

pablocito

I believe we do have free will; either that or there is a strong illusion of such. If we don't have free will then I'm done playing the game.
We are all born in sin and there is none righteous. If we were to follow our so-called freewill then none of us would follow after God, in fact we would not be called of God because our so-called self-will nature would be enmity with God. It would be impossible for us to become saved.

Thus it is God in us (his grace) that gives us the chance to become a son and an heir to his kingdom. God is all in all and it is God that does everything. Sounds like Calvinism, a man-devised way. But it is not, it is simply the word of God. Supernatural word of God.

The bible states that many are called but few are chosen.
Mat_22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

It did not say all are called but few are chosen.
Therefore some are not called because their corruption prevents them from being called.

Esau, out of his mother's womb was hated by God.
Later on with many tears he sought God's redemption, but could not find it.

God's ways are past finding out, but we do not go up against God's word, his word is truth, whether or not we understand it. Of course he will give us grace to understand it if we persist.

Dec 21, 2020
We are all born in sin and there is none righteous. If we were to follow our so-called freewill then none of us would follow after God, in fact we would not be called of God because our so-called self-will nature would be enmity with God. It would be impossible for us to become saved.
God provided a way for anyone to be saved.

Thus it is God in us (his grace) that gives us the chance to become a son and an heir to his kingdom. God is all in all and it is God that does everything. Sounds like Calvinism, a man-devised way. But it is not, it is simply the word of God. Supernatural word of God.
Naw.. It's Calvinism.

The bible states that many are called but few are chosen.
Mat_22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

It did not say all are called but few are chosen.
Therefore some are not called because their corruption prevents them from being called.
1 Tim 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

2 Pet 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Esau, out of his mother's womb was hated by God.
Later on with many tears he sought God's redemption, but could not find it.
God did not "hate" Esau in the way we understand hate today. Two nations were in Rebekah's womb. God had to choose one to carry the Christ-line.

God's ways are past finding out, but we do not go up against God's word, his word is truth, whether or not we understand it. Of course he will give us grace to understand it if we persist.
1 Tim 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

P

pablocito

2 Pet 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
You quoted 2 Peter 3:9. But I am going to quote 1 Peter 3:20

1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

God here was longsuffering waiting for the ark to be completed. The Ark represented Noah's salvation and God could not bring the floods else Noah would be destroyed.

As I said the Ark represented Noah's salvation, and as soon as the ark was finished the floods came and destroyed the entire world except for Noah and his family (8 people).

Our sanctification is our salvation. God cannot take us or come for us before we are sanctified. (Those whom are chosen for salvation and whose names are written in the book of life.)

2Th_2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Yes, our salvation is our sanctification.

1Co_1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Sanctification is the step, just before Jesus returns to redeem us from the life in the flesh into his eternal kingdom.

1Pe_1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Those who worship Satan

Rev 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
Rev 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Rev 13:9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.

Yes the entire world right now is worshipping Satan, except for those whose name are written in the book of life chosen from before the foundation of the world. They are chosen and elect.

Mar 4, 2020
We are all born in sin
Which verse says people are born in sin? When you were born, what was your sin?

If we were to follow our so-called freewill then none of us would follow after God, in fact we would not be called of God because our so-called self-will nature would be enmity with God. It would be impossible for us to become saved.
All of Christ's followers made a deliberate and conscious decision to follow after him and obey him. Even others turned and stopped following him:

John 6
66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

God's grace is accessed by our faith, not God's faith. That means we have a part to play too:

Romans 5
1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ok unsolved mysteries of the Bible...

What happened to Dinah after her brothers killed her fiance?

Where did Cains wife come from, was she any relation or was she formed out of his rib as well? Or was this land of Nod where eveyone got their wives from?

Jesus grandparents were alive or dead by the time he was born?

Jesus sisters names?

P

persistent

Jesus sisters names?
Jesus sisters and brothers, of biological relation, may not be significant to understanding any of the Bible except to show that flesh and blood relations like the Pharisees and Sadducees with genealogical claims were also inconsequential. The link may give an idea of Jesus' biological family.>>
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
3. Is not this the carpenter?] Save in this one place, our Lord is nowhere Himself called “the Carpenter.” According to the custom of the Jews, even the Rabbis learnt some handicraft. One of their proverbs was that “he who taught not his son a trade, taught him to be a thief.” Hence St Paul learnt to “labour with his own hands” at the trade of a tent-maker (Acts 18:3; 1 Thessalonians 2:9; 1 Corinthians 4:12). “In the cities the carpenters would be Greeks, and skilled workmen; the carpenter of a provincial village could only have held a very humble position, and secured a very moderate competence.” Farrar’s Life of Christ, I. 81.

the brother of James, and Joses …] The four “brothers” here mentioned, and “the sisters,” whose names are nowhere recorded, were in all probability the children of Clopas and Mary, the sister and namesake of the blessed Virgin, and so the “cousins” of our Lord. (Compare Matthew 27:56 with Mark 15:40 and John 19:25.) Joseph would seem to have died at some time between a. d. 8 and a. d. 26, and there is no reason for believing that Clopas was alive during our Lord’s ministry. It has been suggested, therefore, that the two widowed sisters may have lived together, the more so as one of them had but one son, and He was often taken from her by His ministerial duties. Three other hypotheses have been formed respecting them: (1) that they were the children of Joseph by a former marriage; (2) that they were the children of Joseph and Mary; (3) that Joseph and Clopas being brothers, and Clopas having died, Joseph raised up seed to his dead brother, according to the Levirate law.

P

persistent

Where did Cains wife come from, was she any relation or was she formed out of his rib as well? Or was this land of Nod where eveyone got their wives from?
This question is probably not going to get an 'accurate' or 'satisfactory' answer until the 2nd Advent and even then we may find ourselves to be no longer curious about 'mundane' events. >>>>
mun·dane
/ˌmənˈdān/
of this earthly world rather than a heavenly or spiritual one.
"the boundaries of the mundane world"

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
yes I think what happens is when we read the Bible it creates questions in us which causes us to seek for answers which in turn we run across more questions during that process as we learn the information expands as we grasp it it causes us to wonder about it because we don’t fully understand there’s always another question and it’s good because it causes us to seek for answers from God and his word who cm edifies our soul
Longest run-on sentence I have seen in a long, long time!

I do agree with your answer.