What was Sunday/Saturday sermon about?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kim82

OK so pastor went through from verses 1-12 and pointed out how we could do that.

Verse 6 say let no man deceive you of vain words.

Certain things are unacceptable to God: fornication, uncleanness, and covetousness must not be done by Christians (verse 3)

We must not let anyone use vain words to convince us otherwise.

These are what we did before accepting God (v8).Now that we are His children, we should avoid these things.

God is good and righteous, such should be our fruit (v9). By getting to know the things that God approves of (v10) and doing them, this is how we imitate God.

Sep 3, 2016
God is good and righteous, such should be our fruit (v9). By getting to know the things that God approves of (v10) and doing them, this is how we imitate God.
Gal. 2:18 says, "For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor."

In other words, if I use my own strength and ability and try to do what the scriptures ask of me to do, I become a transgressor!

Under Grace, the Holy Spirit carries out the will of God in the Believer (Romans 8:2). Under the Law, the flesh (your own ability) carry's out the Law of God. Under Grace, the New Covenant, if Christ is a Law keeper, than I am a Law keeper because I am in Him (Romans 6:3-5, Gal. 2:20-21).

If the Believer does not understand this, all scriptures become enticing words to the flesh, that will be attempted by the flesh to perform (Romans 8:2-3, 1 Cor. 2:4). The Believer now becomes a transgressor (Gal. 2:18).

The Way Of The Spirit
Focus: The Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
Object Of Faith: The Cross of Christ (Romans 6:1-14)
Power Source: The Holy Spirit (Romans 8:1-2, 11)
Results: Victory (Romans 6:14)

Man's Way
Focus: Works.
Object Of Faith: Performance.
Power Source: Self.
Results: Defeat!

Sep 3, 2016
Gal. 2:18 says, "For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor."

In other words, if I use my own strength and ability and try to do what the scriptures ask of me to do, I become a transgressor!

Under Grace, the Holy Spirit carries out the will of God in the Believer (Romans 8:2). Under the Law, the flesh (your own ability) carry's out the Law of God. Under Grace, the New Covenant, if Christ is a Law keeper, than I am a Law keeper because I am in Him (Romans 6:3-5, Gal. 2:20-21).

If the Believer does not understand this, all scriptures become enticing words to the flesh, that will be attempted by the flesh to perform (Romans 8:2-3, 1 Cor. 2:4). The Believer now becomes a transgressor (Gal. 2:18).

The Way Of The Spirit
Focus: The Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
Object Of Faith: The Cross of Christ (Romans 6:1-14)
Power Source: The Holy Spirit (Romans 8:1-2, 11)
Results: Victory (Romans 6:14)

Man's Way
Focus: Works.
Object Of Faith: Performance.
Power Source: Self.
Results: Defeat!
How does the Holy Spirit carry out the will of God in a Believer life both to will and to do for His good pleasure {Phil 2:13} - (in other words, how do we walk and be led by the Holy Spirit so that the works of the flesh will not manifest (Gal. 5:19-21)?

M

morefaithrequired

Advent part 2
Gospel re John the Baptist preparing the way

K

Kim82

I want to understand what you are saying.

First question: are we or are we not to do the things which are pleasing to God?

Oct 9, 2019
Scripture Reading --- ( 2 Timothy 2 : 14 - 19 NKJV)

v/14 - Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers.
v/15 - Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
v/16 - But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness.
v/17 - And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort,
v/18 - who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some.
v/19 - Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of
Christ depart from iniquity.”

The Pastor spoke about the importance of maintaining the Integrity of our Walk with Jesus Christ in complete Holiness; This was tied into the principle of keeping the internal state of our hearts within us (WHICH GOD SEES), in alignment with the Image we present of ourselves and our Faith (TO THOSE AROUND US).

Be not like the Pharisees.

Using the verses above and the context of the entire chapter (Chapter 2), Paul admonishes Timothy to keep his Spiritual Doctrine pure in both his Ministry and his Faith by shunning any Strange Doctrines that would sully him, just like they did for others (HYMENAEUS & PHILETUS) who had even gone further and led other Faithful astray, after they were lost themselves.

The preacher gave a final reminder regarding the words of Jesus who commented on the Day of Final Judgement; JESUS spoke of many who would come to HIM on that day thinking they were in good standing with HIM, only to hear: " DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU WORKERS OF INIQUITY " !! --- ( Luke 13 : 27 NKJV ).

We should strive everyday to avoid being part of this group.

Be Blessed.

Sep 3, 2016
I want to understand what you are saying.

First question: are we or are we not to do the things which are pleasing to God?
Yes, we are to do the things that please God through the Spirit and not from the flesh (the tree of the knowledge of good and evil - God does not honor the good in this tree).

God has chosen to operate His work from the basis of faith. "The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:2) is God's prescribed order of victory for the Believer over sin, the world, the flesh, and the Devil. This means that the Believer must place and maintain proper Faith the size of a mustard seed exclusively in Christ and the Cross of Calvary, i.e., The Finished Work, i.e., The Blood of Jesus, where the victory was won so that His life would be lived through you. This gives the Holy Spirit the legal means to help and do what is needed to be done in the Believers life because the Believer is glorifying Christ, God's beloved Son in whom He is pleased. You are now operating in the spirit. No Believer can fix the flesh with the flesh. All fruits that are added to the leaves of the Believer most be done by the Holy Spirit or you enter the works of the flesh (Gal. 5:19-21).

The Holy Spirit doesn't require much of us, but He does require one thing, and without reservation. Our Faith must be exclusively be in Christ and the Cross; understanding that this is God's Prescribed Order of Victory (Rom. 8:2).

The Holy Spirit works strictly within the parameters of the "Finished Work" i.e., "The Cross of Christ" i.e., "The Blood of Jesus;" which demands that our Faith be placed and maintained exclusively in the Cross of Christ. The reason is simple, that's were the price was paid, and the victory was forever won (Romans 6:1-14; 1 Cor. 2:2; Gal. 5; Gal. 6:14; Eph. 2:13-18; Col. 2:14-15).

Victory over sin: Romans 8:2
Victory over the world: Galatians 6:14; 1 John 5:4
Victory over the flesh: Galatians 5:24
Victory over the Devil:Hebrews 2:14; Colossians 2:15

The Apostle Paul makes it very clear in Romans 8:10 that the physical body, mind / intellect, and the heart (which is evil - Jeremiah 17:9) has been rendered helpless because of the original sin; consequently, the Believer trying to overcome by willpower presents a fruitless task. Only the Holy Spirit can mortify the deeds of the flesh and make us what we ought to be (Romans 8:13). This means we cannot do it ourselves. Once again, He performs all that He does within the confines of the Finished Work of Christ (Romans 8:2).

If a Christian will and their efforts to live for God is in anything except Christ and the Cross, i.e., Finished Work, The Blood of Jesus (Romans 8:2), Satan can override your will and force you to do things you don't want to do and trying not to do (Ephesians 6:12). Jesus said deny yourself and pick up your cross and follow me (Luke 9:23).

Remember our bodies are dead and useless to God. The heart is prone to wander away from God's love and eat from "The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil." The reason why the body is dead is because of the effects of the fall has made us totally incapable of yielding spiritual obedience on a regular basis (Jeremiah 13:23). So there must be a source outside of myself that helps me to enter into sanctification which is the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:13).

Note: The Believer must repent not just for the bad they are doing, but also for the good they are doing. Why? Because the Believer can depend on the good to get them through (Jer. 6:13-15). Good things will always follow right living. However, that is not God's way. His way is Faith exclusively in Christ and His Finished Work (Rev. 3:17-22).

How does a Believer maintain Faith exclusively in Christ and the Cross? By just believing in Jesus (who He is - John 1:1-14, 29) and what He accomplished at Calvary Cross where the victory was one. Romans 4:5 - Galatians 2:19-21 NKJV - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25 NKJV - Colossians 2:11-15 NKJV

Jesus said you can do nothing without me (John 15:5).

K

Kim82

Scripture Reading --- ( 2 Timothy 2 : 14 - 19 NKJV)

v/14 - Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers.
v/15 - Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
v/16 - But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness.
v/17 - And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort,
v/18 - who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some.
v/19 - Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of
Christ depart from iniquity.”

The Pastor spoke about the importance of maintaining the Integrity of our Walk with Jesus Christ in complete Holiness; This was tied into the principle of keeping the internal state of our hearts within us (WHICH GOD SEES), in alignment with the Image we present of ourselves and our Faith (TO THOSE AROUND US).

Be not like the Pharisees.

Using the verses above and the context of the entire chapter (Chapter 2), Paul admonishes Timothy to keep his Spiritual Doctrine pure in both his Ministry and his Faith by shunning any Strange Doctrines that would sully him, just like they did for others (HYMENAEUS & PHILETUS) who had even gone further and led other Faithful astray, after they were lost themselves.

The preacher gave a final reminder regarding the words of Jesus who commented on the Day of Final Judgement; JESUS spoke of many who would come to HIM on that day thinking they were in good standing with HIM, only to hear: " DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU WORKERS OF INIQUITY " !! --- ( Luke 13 : 27 NKJV ).

We should strive everyday to avoid being part of this group.

Be Blessed.
Amen.

K

Kim82

Yes, we are to do the things that please God through the Spirit and not from the flesh
Amen.
not from the flesh (the tree of the knowledge of good and evil -
OK so this is my first time hearing the flesh being described as tree of knowledge and evil. Or maybe its just different wording. But Satan did say when eve eat she will know good and bad, so I see what you saying there.

Second question. So we know we are to overcome the flesh by the spirit of God.

So my question: is overcoming the flesh easy once you do the overcoming by relying on the spirit of God?

M

MegMarch

1 Corinthians 13. The pastor went over all the different characteristics of love. He challenged us to question ourselves if we are loving those that we find most difficult to love. Great reminder.

Sep 3, 2016
Amen.
OK so this is my first time hearing the flesh being described as tree of knowledge and evil. Or maybe its just different wording. But Satan did say when eve eat she will know good and bad, so I see what you saying there.

Second question. So we know we are to overcome the flesh by the spirit of God.

So my question: is overcoming the flesh easy once you do the overcoming by relying on the spirit of God?
It is by "Grace" through "Faith" that the "Temple" is built (our Temple). The "Temple was to be built under Solomon; not the sound of a hammer, not the sound of a tool, i.e., not one sound of mans labor.

The only thing that God will accept from any Believer is "Faith" in His Son Jesus and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won, i.e., The Finished Work, i.e., The Blood of Jesus. ONLY!!!!!!!

Because the Believer is in Christ, all commandments are kept by the Holy Spirit which is impossible for any Believer to keep. If Christ is a law-keeper than the Believer is a law-keeper.

Romans 8:13 says, "If you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live." Paul warns the Believer, he said, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, (the) sin (nature) revived, and I died (failed God by sinning, using the flesh) (Romans 7:9)." Zechariah 4:6

The sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit mortifies the deed of the flesh by changing my condition into my position which is perfect and Holy because God has declared us justified (not guilt and innocent).

As a Christian we were "set free" the moment we are saved - "made free" speaks of a process. "Set Free," i.e., instantaneous - "Made Free, " i.e., You should know the truth and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32, John 14:6). "Made Free" = sanctification.

Two kinds of peace
1. Justifying Peace - This is Peace with God, a legal standing. Rom. 8:7; Eph. 2:14-15

2. Sanctifying Peace - This is the Peace of God in the heart. Rom. 8:6; 14:19; 15:13; Gal. 1:3

The first is the result of a legal standing. The second is the result of the Work of the Holy Spirit. The first is static, never fluctuates, the second changes almost from hour to hour. The first, every Christian has, the second, every Christian may have.

Oct 9, 2019
1 Corinthians 13. The pastor went over all the different characteristics of love. He challenged us to question ourselves if we are loving those that we find most difficult to love. Great reminder.
Godly Love.jpg

K

Kim82

It is by "Grace" through "Faith" that the "Temple" is built (our Temple). The "Temple was to be built under Solomon; not the sound of a hammer, not the sound of a tool, i.e., not one sound of mans labor.

The only thing that God will accept from any Believer is "Faith" in His Son Jesus and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won, i.e., The Finished Work, i.e., The Blood of Jesus. ONLY!!!!!!!

Because the Believer is in Christ, all commandments are kept by the Holy Spirit which is impossible for any Believer to keep. If Christ is a law-keeper than the Believer is a law-keeper.

Romans 8:13 says, "If you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live." Paul warns the Believer, he said, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, (the) sin (nature) revived, and I died (failed God by sinning, using the flesh) (Romans 7:9)." Zechariah 4:6

The sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit mortifies the deed of the flesh by changing my condition into my position which is perfect and Holy because God has declared us justified (not guilt and innocent).

As a Christian we were "set free" the moment we are saved - "made free" speaks of a process. "Set Free," i.e., instantaneous - "Made Free, " i.e., You should know the truth and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32, John 14:6). "Made Free" = sanctification.

Two kinds of peace
1. Justifying Peace - This is Peace with God, a legal standing. Rom. 8:7; Eph. 2:14-15

2. Sanctifying Peace - This is the Peace of God in the heart. Rom. 8:6; 14:19; 15:13; Gal. 1:3

The first is the result of a legal standing. The second is the result of the Work of the Holy Spirit. The first is static, never fluctuates, the second changes almost from hour to hour. The first, every Christian has, the second, every Christian may have.
At this point I must admit that I'm confused.

But amen. At least we can agree that we must do the things that are pleasing to God by the help of the spirit.

And that's a simple truth that every believer can understand.

Doing the will of God isn't easy. But shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Romans 6:1

Little by little we can grow. We won't be perfect. Anyone who say he is without sin is deceiving himself 1 John 1:8

But I thank God that the grace of God is sufficient for me, because when I am weak, then I am strong 2Corinthians 12:9

Sep 3, 2016
Anyone who say he is without sin is deceiving himself 1 John 1:8
Because we are in Christ, sin cannot attach itself to a Believer.

1 John 1:8, is referring to the sin nature. If we say that we have no sin (refers to "the sin nature"), we deceive ourselves (refers to self-deception), and the truth is not in us.

...‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the LORD of hosts. Zech. 4:6

For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: Isaiah 28:10

L

Locoponydirtman

Today was one of those days where they have a play and sing Christmas songs. I didn't go. I have no use for those things. I hate going to church and they are putting on a show, if I want to hear bad singing I will turn on a radio, and if I want to watch bad acting I have a tv.

DesertWanderer

Nov 17, 2019
New Mexico, USA
Since this thread was started nearly a year ago, I feel a little late to the party. But since it has kept going till today, I feel compelled to respond to your original post back in February.

How we needed to follow the teachings of God so that we can have a sweet home, and that we cannot do it on our own
Absolutely. We cannot do it on our own. And that's why we should help that single mom who just got dumped by the father, instead of attending abortion rallies. Because we cannot do it on our own, we need to make sure that shut-in-- the one who can't go to church any more because he's too old-- has his physical needs taken care of, along with getting a ride to Sunday services.

People having children and not taking responsibility for them.
Yes, and when the church leadership decides to go back to discipling the individual instead of marketing to the masses, more people will take responsibility. But they first have to be taught.

How we can find time for everything else, except going to church
That's an easy one. Because most people, including myself, feel it is an utter waste of our precious time. You get up early. You get all dolled up. You drive 20-30- minutes to the church. You sing some songs hoping that the Holy Spirit actually shows up this time (I can write an entire blog just on this one point, especially when I see pastors and elders with their hands in their pockets during "worship"). You sit and listen for an hour to one guy drone on about the ills of society, instead of preaching the Gospel. Then afterwards everyone scatters like little ants to see who can beat who to the local pancake house. Very spiritual indeed.

The mistake of marrying a none Christian because of not being able to find a partner in the church and anyone who does so must be prepared for the consequences which will follow.
Okay, this one really gets my ire up, since I'm a recent victim of infidelity and adultery within the church. I hear pastors preach on this subject more and more. And most of the time, I cringe when I here it. In most sermons, without meaning to, the pastor comes across as saying it's okay to divorce your spouse because they are not a Christian; or maybe they're just not Christian enough. Oh sure, they don't say it outright, but it is too often misinterpreted. This is extremely dangerous, and if the pastor can't put together a good enough sermon to clarify God's true stance-- which is no divorce-- then he should just preach on a different topic altogether.

The other sermon you here in relation to this is when the pastor rebukes the men for not being the spiritual leaders of their families, or at least the head of their households. Of course the preacher is just hammering away on us guys, telling us how insufficient we've become as husbands, and therefore America is in the toilet because of it. It would be okay if the pastor was able to rebuke us in private. But they do it in front of the wives, who can easily misinterpret their husbands as being "inadequate" to lead the family, and thereby think it's okay to run off with a "better Christian man."

We should treat everyone else's children well and not just our own.
Yes. And I would go a step further. Let's cut out all the ridiculous, expensive children's programs like AWANA, and spend the money on making sure they don't go hungry at night.

L

Locoponydirtman

Since this thread was started nearly a year ago, I feel a little late to the party. But since it has kept going till today, I feel compelled to respond to your original post back in February.

Absolutely. We cannot do it on our own. And that's why we should help that single mom who just got dumped by the father, instead of attending abortion rallies. Because we cannot do it on our own, we need to make sure that shut-in-- the one who can't go to church any more because he's too old-- has his physical needs taken care of, along with getting a ride to Sunday services.

Yes, and when the church leadership decides to go back to discipling the individual instead of marketing to the masses, more people will take responsibility. But they first have to be taught.

That's an easy one. Because most people, including myself, feel it is an utter waste of our precious time. You get up early. You get all dolled up. You drive 20-30- minutes to the church. You sing some songs hoping that the Holy Spirit actually shows up this time (I can write an entire blog just on this one point, especially when I see pastors and elders with their hands in their pockets during "worship"). You sit and listen for an hour to one guy drone on about the ills of society, instead of preaching the Gospel. Then afterwards everyone scatters like little ants to see who can beat who to the local pancake house. Very spiritual indeed.

Okay, this one really gets my ire up, since I'm a recent victim of infidelity and adultery within the church. I hear pastors preach on this subject more and more. And most of the time, I cringe when I here it. In most sermons, without meaning to, the pastor comes across as saying it's okay to divorce your spouse because they are not a Christian; or maybe they're just not Christian enough. Oh sure, they don't say it outright, but it is too often misinterpreted. This is extremely dangerous, and if the pastor can't put together a good enough sermon to clarify God's true stance-- which is no divorce-- then he should just preach on a different topic altogether.

The other sermon you here in relation to this is when the pastor rebukes the men for not being the spiritual leaders of their families, or at least the head of their households. Of course the preacher is just hammering away on us guys, telling us how insufficient we've become as husbands, and therefore America is in the toilet because of it. It would be okay if the pastor was able to rebuke us in private. But they do it in front of the wives, who can easily misinterpret their husbands as being "inadequate" to lead the family, and thereby think it's okay to run off with a "better Christian man."

Yes. And I would go a step further. Let's cut out all the ridiculous, expensive children's programs like AWANA, and spend the money on making sure they don't go hungry at night.
Oh never mind, I have a lot to say on this but not the time to say it clearly.

I will say this. Men will not attend church as long as it's geared toward children. Not that some attention shouldn't be given to children, but I just watched a video of a church where the pastor was dressed as cat in the hat. My second hand embarrassment had me on my heals. I would never return to such a church.
Even my church spent this Sunday having a play and songs with only a very short message. I didn't go.

If your church is correcting men for their failure to lead, then good on the pastor. You should take stock of yourself and see where the Lord would have you improve. I like it when our pastor corrects us. It's good for us.

I agree dump the expensive programs like Awana. Start teaching and preaching law and gospel. Teach those children solid doctrine. It make me very sad to see a generation of men who were raised in church and don't know what baptism is or what the Lord's supper is.

DesertWanderer

Nov 17, 2019
New Mexico, USA
If your church is correcting men for their failure to lead, then good on the pastor.
I very much agree. However, if we are going to stand fast on the principle of men in leadership roles, we must not rebuke them in front of their spouses. I cannot recall a place in scripture where Jesus rebuked the original twelve in front of the multitudes. That was my only point.

K

Kim82

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

We need to treat the one who die for us with respect. We would rather follow our friends who will lead us astray than to follow the one who died to give us hope.

Nov 17, 2019
New Mexico, USA
We need to treat the one who die for us with respect.
Yes, I agree. But that does not necessarily mean blindly following a church hierarchy whereby its primary mission is strictly self-preservation. And I also buy into the teaching in Hebrews 10:27 about the importance of gathering with other Christians. However, I haven't been able to find anywhere in the Bible that specifically commands us to "go to church;" to sit in a building for one hour a week listening to one man talk. If you want a picture of the early church, read Acts 2:42-47

We would rather follow our friends who will lead us astray than to follow the one who died to give us hope.
I hope you didn't include me in that argument. I desire to follow Christ because of what He has done for me. I do not want to follow my friends, even though most are also Christ followers. I think that has been my point all along. We as born again believers do not need anyone else but God; not other followers, or elders, or even pastors. We have the all-powerful, all knowing Creator to whom we can willingly talk to about anything. He has washed us clean with the blood of our Savior. He has given us His Holy Spirit to guide and comfort us. When we put all our hope in a "church," we tell God He's not adequate to provide everything we need.

With all that said, the Lord works through us in order to bless each other. He wants us to meet together regularly so we can share our lives with one another. However, I don't think the current way we "do church" is what Jesus had in mind. Gathering in one building for an hour a week hardly seems like we are sharing our lives together. And I really don't think it's disrespectful to God if we desire something different--say, something closer to what is found in Acts, chapter two.