What was your fave cartoon as a kid and why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 24, 2022
UK
Not really dating material I suppose.. I'm kind of a bit of a recluse when it comes to other peoples tastes.
So what did you like to watch as a kid? And What made it funny and interesting?

I grew up on Tom and Terry, The Flintstones, Daffy Duck, Popeye, Tweety, looney tunes, Roadrunner> It was very American. I loved the western front. Our british cartoons were not as good in my opinion. I loved the enemy fight.

here's a clip of my childhood favourites.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Flintstone Kids for me. (I was too late to catch the original Flintstones.)

Later, in my teens, Transformers: Beast Wars. Some pretty good script writing in that show. Like, better than the original Transformers.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
On TV?

DBZ is the only one the comes to mind, I even dreamed about it once... I'm surprised that my parents didn't realize the effect it had on me quite frankly.

There was also this one Thundercats episode that I couldn't finish because I had a chore to do or something and it needled me for years...even in the last few years I tried to find it and just finish it ;)

I watched plenty though and was old enough for Flintstones & Jetsons to be re-run as well as looney tunes. I really only liked Roadrunner ones though for whatever reason.

Didn't ever see popeye except maybe once. I was at least aware that spinach gives you giant muscles though lol.

Not sure when Sat morning cartoons stopped but it was still a thing in the mid 90s.

I feel like TV episodes if you didn't have a way to record them was way more addicting than the current form of picking up where you left off.

Lest I go down a rabbit trail of remembering every cartoon series I ever watched 12 and under I'll end here ha. Some of the cartoon network stuff is best left alone in the dusty hall of forgotten memories.

Dec 24, 2022
UK
There was also this one Thundercats episode that I couldn't finish because I had a chore to do or something and it needled me for years...even in the last few years I tried to find it and just finish it ;)
Lol, .I've done that with music. When you have a song in your head and you don't know the name of it, or, your humming it and you think you know the lyrics and when you find it, and it turns out you don't know the lyrics after all.. haha

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Thundercats was trippy.

The magic sword could do anything the plot needed doing, or it could be totally helpless if the plot needed it.

The first episode they were all naked - which would have been fine, as they all had fur - but then they underscored it by EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER PUTTING ON CLOTHES!

Don't get me started about how they just hung out in deep space, without space suits or even helmets.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Not really dating material I suppose.. I'm kind of a bit of a recluse when it comes to other peoples tastes.

I grew up on Tom and Terry, The Flintstones, Daffy Duck, Popeye, Tweety, looney tunes, Roadrunner> It was very American. I loved the western front. Our british cartoons were not as good in my opinion. I loved the enemy fight.

This is totally off topic, but...

I'm glad you're here moondancer. (I welcome to the forum every new member I see, but I'm not always glad they are here.) :p You are not only positive, but go out of your way to add to the forum, like this thread.

Dec 24, 2022
UK
This is totally off topic, but...

I'm glad you're here moondancer. (I welcome to the forum every new member I see, but I'm not always glad they are here.) :p You are not only positive, but go out of your way to add to the forum, like this thread.
Thanks lynx. I wasn't as anxious joining here as much as I was in so much pain...where as I normally would be shy. Now I can see better, I see so much Love of Christ here, it shines through and I guess it just rubbed off from you all. Plus I have had a breakthrough in my faith... I give that credit to God but through you lot here, I was healed from a nasty belief. Which just so happens to have brought me and someone who was enemies closer together. Phew. Glory To God! I feel so much relief.

Looking forward to your music. Music keeps me alive these days and spurs me on in my faith. But I don't have a taste for much old fashioned Christian music as such, if only The Lord would give me something I can hang on to. Something I get.

I make music, sort of, like on my phone app, I don't have a DAW. but I enjoy it tremendously...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Looking forward to your music. Music keeps me alive these days and spurs me on in my faith. But I don't have a taste for much old fashioned Christian music as such, if only The Lord would give me something I can hang on to. Something I get.

I make music, sort of, like on my phone app, I don't have a DAW. but I enjoy it tremendously...
Indeed? Hmm...

Sending you a private message, mostly to keep from derailing this thread further.

Mak33

Nov 12, 2019
Chip and Dale with Donald Duck is my ultimate favorite because, well, It's stupid and hilarious! It's so funny I can't get enough of it.

Also love Care Bears and Strawberry Short cake cause it's cute. ☺️

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Thundercats was trippy.

The first episode they were all naked - which would have been fine, as they all had fur - but then they underscored it by EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER PUTTING ON CLOTHES!
Interesting. I was around 6 during that era so I definitely wouldn't have noticed that.

Just discussing it is bringing up weird memories (since you mentioned the sword)

There is a distinct similarity between the Conan the barbarian movie poster and one of the TV series images and I only just now made that connection. Curious if that was intentional on their part.

So peculiar how memory recall works lol

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ

Bugs was/is first. Just made me laugh. And, I liked the animation better than most others.

However, I also liked Popeye, particularly the older ones with the 3D environments. And, I liked the Hanna Barbera stuff, like Magilla Gorilla, Peter Potamus and Ricochet Rabbit. Oh, and let me not forget the Oddball Couple, and ... Ooooh the Pink Panther! Now that cracked me up.

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
The old Looney tunes cartoons were always good. I liked the older Tom and Jerry cartoons, and Droopy too!

The old "Merrie Melodies" from the 40s were fun to watch. Most of them were in black and white.

I liked the original "Johnny Quest" also.

From the late 70s, it was "Star Blazers" and "Battle of the Planets"... Both Japanese anime.

My kids got me hooked on "Phineas and Ferb" several years back.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
Grew up watching 90's Nickelodeon. And my favorite was:

Rugrats. 🤗

Recently bought the complete series on DVD.

Just need to get off my lazy butt and try to hook up this DVD player I got so I can watch it. 😅

Dec 24, 2022
UK
Grew up watching 90's Nickelodeon. And my favorite was:

Rugrats. 🤗

Recently bought the complete series on DVD.

Just need to get off my lazy butt and try to hook up this DVD player I got so I can watch it. 😅
I loved the theme song for that.

Dec 24, 2022
UK
The old Looney tunes cartoons were always good. I liked the older Tom and Jerry cartoons, and Droopy too!

The old "Merrie Melodies" from the 40s were fun to watch. Most of them were in black and white.

From the late 70s, it was "Star Blazers" and "Battle of the Planets"... Both Japanese anime.

I had to look Johnny quest up. I do remember it now. The theme song was catchy.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I liked Hong Kong Phooey and Inch High Private Eye.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021

Johnny Quest was really well made, nifty for kids. The cartoon theme song and intro are excellent.

I liked Battle of the Planets too. Had to look it up again, as I had read before it was an american show that looked very japanese. Turns out it was made in japan, called Gatchaman, but an american producer had the studio make additional footage, editing and of course added english dub.