What was your fave cartoon as a kid and why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
I liked some cartoons as a kid. Mostly liked the syndicated ones from earlier eras. Some of my favorites were:

Prince Planet 1960s - first cartoon I remember, was b/w on UHF channel from Chicago
Felix the Cat Magic Bag of Tricks 1958-1960 - along with some early Pop-eyes, were pretty striking!
Underdog 1960s
The Marvel Super Heroes 1960s - was an interesting animation technique were they actually used photocopied prints from the comic books and moved them around, added some animation. They stayed with original comic book stories.
The King Kong Show 1960s - King Kong battles monsters for his friends
The Beatles 1960s - introduced me to Beatles music
Jonny Quest 1960s
Spiderman 1960s - great big band jazz music
Speed Racer 1960s - lots of crashes. saw a resurgence on MTV
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! 1960-70s
The Herculoids 1960-1980s - creative superhero/monster stuff
Super Friends 1970s - was DC Comics characters, Batman, Superman, etc.
Battle of the Planets 1970-80s
Thundarr the Barbarian 1980s
Dungeons & Dragons 1980s
====

Favs not as kid:
The Simpsons 1980-present
Ren & Stimpy 1990s - the first two seasons, especially S1, where John Kricfalusi was writer/director are hilarious.
The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes 2010s

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
Speed Racer was another favorite. I wanted to mention the Herculoids but couldn't remember the name.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

THERE'S NO NEED TO FEAR!
UNDERDOG IS HERE!

Underdog taught a valuable life lesson in each episode. In this one, you have a young George Soros plotting to rule the world.
This one teaches children that "conspiracy theories have sinister origins based on truth.
The episode tells us of Simon, son of Sinister, played by Soros, using electronic technology to brainwash the masses so he can dominate the world. Little did we know that Movies, TV and now cell phones would be the tech that the mad scientists would use to conquer the world!
That's all for now because I know everyone is going to watch this episode and I don't want to spoil it for you.
🥛🥣 😄👍

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I liked some cartoons as a kid. Mostly liked the syndicated ones from earlier eras. Some of my favorites were:

Prince Planet 1960s - first cartoon I remember, was b/w on UHF channel from Chicago
Felix the Cat Magic Bag of Tricks 1958-1960 - along with some early Pop-eyes, were pretty striking!
Underdog 1960s
The Marvel Super Heroes 1960s - was an interesting animation technique were they actually used photocopied prints from the comic books and moved them around, added some animation. They stayed with original comic book stories.
The King Kong Show 1960s - King Kong battles monsters for his friends
The Beatles 1960s - introduced me to Beatles music
Jonny Quest 1960s
Spiderman 1960s - great big band jazz music
Super Friends 1970s - was DC Comics characters, Batman, Superman, etc.
Battle of the Planets 1970-80s
Thundarr the Barbarian 1980s
Dungeons & Dragons 1980s
====

Favs not as kid:
The Simpsons 1980-present
Ren & Stimpy 1990s - the first two seasons, especially S1, where John Kricfalusi was writer/director are hilarious.
The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes 2010s
First season Ren and Stimpy was hilarious.
I liked vintage cartoons far better than the new ones with exception of that. Johnny K. explained that in an interview that I found interesting. Certain people owned the cartoon media and had certain formats/ formulas every writer had to adhere to.

Sep 14, 2021
Bugs Bunny & Loonie Toons. In a difficult home life as a child, these cartoons gave me encouragement to laugh.
Last Saturday morning, I was watching Looney Tunes and I had forgotten how funny they were.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
First season Ren and Stimpy was hilarious.
I liked vintage cartoons far better than the new ones with exception of that. Johnny K. explained that in an interview that I found interesting. Certain people owned the cartoon media and had certain formats/ formulas every writer had to adhere to.
Too true, some of those vintage cartoons from 20-50s were visually striking with the creativity. (Got a link to the John K interview?)

Yep, I don't doubt there's certain formats and formulas. Of course, the one good thing about most cartoons, although there are plenty of exceptions, is that they have a worthwhile lesson. But sometimes it's fine to bake cookies instead of protein bars or toss a salad. Whenever I watched cartoons, I wanted something unique; preferred learning, pushing through adversity, stopping evil, friendship, adventure, moral lessons.

Just my opinion, but early on I was rather shocked at the (often) mean-spiritedness of Bugs/looneytoons (Last of the Mohicans comes to mind) and cartoon violence of Tom & Jerry formats. I wasn't a fan of those, and not much for the silliness of the Hanna-Barbera (Peter Potamus was decent lol). One exception would be the creativity of a few Roadrunners.

Most modern kid-cartoons I've seen, if I had to sit with kids, really irks me, it's mostly high-pitched silly melodrama.

I don't really watch cartoons anymore unless I'm with friends who are doing it. More modern ones I've appreciated were Ren & Stimpy S1-2, Recess, Fillmore and Adventure Time. I won't walk out on a Simpsons or SouthPark, as it's hard to beat good satire.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Too true, some of those vintage cartoons from 20-50s were visually striking with the creativity. (Got a link to the John K interview?)

Yep, I don't doubt there's certain formats and formulas. Of course, the one good thing about most cartoons, although there are plenty of exceptions, is that they have a worthwhile lesson. But sometimes it's fine to bake cookies instead of protein bars or toss a salad. Whenever I watched cartoons, I wanted something unique; preferred learning, pushing through adversity, stopping evil, friendship, adventure, moral lessons.

Just my opinion, but early on I was rather shocked at the (often) mean-spiritedness of Bugs/looneytoons (Last of the Mohicans comes to mind) and cartoon violence of Tom & Jerry formats. I wasn't a fan of those, and not much for the silliness of the Hanna-Barbera (Peter Potamus was decent lol). One exception would be the creativity of a few Roadrunners.

Most modern kid-cartoons I've seen, if I had to sit with kids, really irks me, it's mostly high-pitched silly melodrama.

I don't really watch cartoons anymore unless I'm with friends who are doing it. More modern ones I've appreciated were Ren & Stimpy S1-2, Recess, Fillmore and Adventure Time. I won't walk out on a Simpsons or SouthPark, as it's hard to beat good satire.
The last time I tried to find that interview it was like looking for a wheat penny. If I can find it again I'll share it with you.

I was being a little tongue in cheek about the lessons, but some like UD had clear cut good guys and villains. The stereotype villains really are well done.
Powerfuff girls had mooojo Jojo. Too funny.
I don't think it would be allowed on TV today for cultural appropriation or stereotype of intelligent Japanese monkeys.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
The last time I tried to find that interview it was like looking for a wheat penny. If I can find it again I'll share it with you.

I was being a little tongue in cheek about the lessons, but some like UD had clear cut good guys and villains. The stereotype villains really are well done.
Powerfuff girls had mooojo Jojo. Too funny.
I don't think it would be allowed on TV today for cultural appropriation or stereotype of intelligent Japanese monkeys.
I heard Powerpuff Girls was pretty good. You like Kimpossible? Whats UD?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I heard Powerpuff Girls was pretty good. You like Kimpossible? Whats UD?
I'm not familiar with that one.

Under Dog

I was into a few cartoons as most boys growing up. That interest fell off as a teenager. As an adult Christian I didn't listen to the typical comedy marketed for adults, but occasionally caught a funny cartoon with the kids in the family. Having a history in entertainment, I learned how to appreciate good scripts and art, so looking back that's how I see much of the animation as well as vintage movies of certain genres.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Foghorn Leghorn!! LOL Did I say did I say that right?? LOL I loved him because he spoke without, I say without thinking that is!! LOL

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Dastardly and mutley! I loved them 2. That laugh of mutley's was class. Banana splits was good too. And the pink panther.
We (in the UK) also watched your Sesame Street I loved that and couldnt wait to see Oscar and animal haha
Oscar was the best.
I only wish that they would have racoons raid his trash can and see the fur fly when Oscar got hold of them. You know, real city life on Sesame St. NY city. Maybe an episode on garbage pick up day and Oscar's adventures on his way to the land fill . 😄

Dastardly and Mutley were classic as the old Banana Splits. I'm not sure, but weren't they one of the Hanna Barbara creations along with the HR Puff n Stuff?