I haven't reached full clarity in my own mind on Daniel 7. I know a lot of mature Christians with strong views on what is going on in this passage of Scripture, but I don't feel like I've heard anyone lay out their views in a conclusive manner, supported by Scripture.
These things are important because from the context, it would seem that these beasts have to make an appearance before Christ's Second Coming. This is God's Scripture given to humanity and SOME believers at SOME point in history are therefore MEANT to understand this passage. I really want to understand it.
I have thoughts on this, but I'm more interested in seeing what teaching and ideas are out there and how well they can be Biblically/historically supported.
Prophecy is hard and sometimes frustrating. Please be courteous, and I would like to say if I have been uncharitable to others concerning these topics elsewhere here on CC, please forgive me; I will try to do better. I am simply trying to understand what is going on in Daniel 7.
Daniels other dreams and visions Along with johns visions and other prophetic visions help us understand that the first head of the beast is nebucadnezzar representing
Babylon and that the next heads of the beast are the media Persians represented by
xerxes, Greece represented by
Alexander the Great and then the Grecian kingdom was split in parts which Rome rose up from the divisions of the Grecian rule and is most likely represented by
Nero and his reign
what I mean is look at how many things In Daniel are a message of four kingdoms which would arise and rule the earth nebucadnezzars dream is one
“Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory. And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all.
Thou art this head of gold.
And
after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee,
and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth.
And
the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise.
Daniel 2:37-44
what I’m meaning to say is that dream isn’t independent from this vision of the beast in chaoter 7 its like another deeper layer to it to add understanding
After he sees the vision of chaoter 7
“…. I came near unto one of them that stood by, and
asked him the truth of all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things.
These great beasts, which are four, are
four kings, which shall arise out of the earth.
Then I would know the
truth of the fourth beast, which was diverse from all the others, exceeding dreadful,
whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet; And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, and before whom three fell; even of that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows.
Thus he said,
The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces. And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings.”
Daniel 7:3-7, 16-17, 19-20, 23-24 KJV
I’m not sure that makes sense but what I mean is rather than looking at just chaoter 7 look Into all Daniel me the dreams and visions me overlap them layer them things like also the vision of the ram and goat is also a layer
“And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.
The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.
And the rough goat is
the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is
the first king.
Now that being broken, whereas
four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power.
And
in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.”
Daniel 8:19-24 KJV
Then after the book of Daniel which there’s a lot more in there we see the latter time of this vision on johns vision
“And there are seven kings:
five are fallen,
and one is,
and
the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.”
Revelation 17:10 KJV
John was seeing this during the reign of the 6th king and Daniel was seeing it beginning at nebucadnezzars rule the first head of the beast John is in the latter time of this unfolding during romes rule
Daniel needs to be layered when he’s seeing the visions of these events and then it leads to revelation later which offers more apacolypse of these things.
because it’s in the latter time of this fulfilling of what Daniel had seen five kingdoms had already rose to power and fallen Babylon , media Persia , Greece and its divided rule which had led to rome in johns time when Gid had set up the eternal kingdom in heaven