What's the point? Everything is selfish.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wwjd_kilden

The great mental torture I feel, is in regards to probably the same things Paul mentioned, i do not do what i want to do, i do what i hate to do, I'm a worm etc.

But also, John F MacArthur's YouTube explanation of the Parable of The Good Samaritan, showed we cannot be perfect. But Jesus Christ asks us to treat our "neibhor" as ourselves, apparently. When that's impossible for us as JFM explained? Mental meltdowns occur because you have to be a professor to understand fully, but come as a child to God? So annoyingly confusing.
Sure we will fail. I have downright hated some of my (literal) neighbours, but that didn't make me do bad things to them.

PS: I'm not a professor either: What is it that you need to be a professor to understand?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Youtube is hardly a credible source..lol.. And who do you believe? God or John MacArthur?

If you watch the YouTube explanation of the Parable of The Good Samaritan by John F MacArthur. You can see that it's impossible.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Dai, no offense but your attitude hasn't improved much since the last time you posted on here.. :/ Maybe that's why you find it difficult to treat others good.

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
Just to note, John MacArthur is an evangelist doctrinal professor.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Big fat hairy deal..lol..

He may be a professor, but he is NOT smarter than God. And if you think he is, then you're fooling yourself..

Just to note, John MacArthur is an evangelist doctrinal professor.

Feb 24, 2015
Is love selfish?
When Jesus died upon the cross to purchase a people unto himself is this selfish?

People have made "selfish" mean evil, but this is a lie. Everything anyone does
has an impact on them so has a self reflective aspect to it.

Fools argue this means there cannot be a truly authentic or self less act.
And ofcourse this is true, because unless you were dead and not doing the act
yourself it would always be connected to yourself.

And you can always argue everything has a selfish benefit.

Satan argued this about Job and lost.

What we are called to do is to love, love God and love our neighbours and love
our fellow believers as Christ loves us. And this is the point to everything from
now into eternity.

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
Is love selfish?
When Jesus died upon the cross to purchase a people unto himself is this selfish?

People have made "selfish" mean evil, but this is a lie. Everything anyone does
has an impact on them so has a self reflective aspect to it.

Fools argue this means there cannot be a truly authentic or self less act.
And ofcourse this is true, because unless you were dead and not doing the act
yourself it would always be connected to yourself.

And you can always argue everything has a selfish benefit.

Satan argued this about Job and lost.

What we are called to do is to love, love God and love our neighbours and love
our fellow believers as Christ loves us. And this is the point to everything from
now into eternity.
And loving all people as Christ loves us, is explained to be impossible under the LAW. But fine after the law. Do you give 2 months wages to a homeless person, for a hotel, give money for food and clothes, knowing that person killed your child the week or year before. Then say if it costs anymore to look after them, I'll pay it and nurse them. For every enemy and neighbour? Thinking no judgement or anger, ever. I have never heard of anyone doing this sort of thing except Jesus. It seems mentally impossible, but if it is possible, are we all going to hell because we're not this way? The closest people I've heard of to this are war missionaries, in war zones. Are we serving two masters?

Dai3234

Sep 6, 2016
Big fat hairy deal..lol..

He may be a professor, but he is NOT smarter than God. And if you think he is, then you're fooling yourself..
Nevermind, I'm sorry i failed to explain to someone who hasn't watched the video or just is "seeing" something I'm not trying to say. Forget it.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Apparently you want us to share your dismal view that it's impossible to be kind to others.. IT ISN'T..

Nevermind, I'm sorry i failed to explain to someone who hasn't watched the video or just is "seeing" something I'm not trying to say. Forget it.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
YOU'RE trying to serve two masters.. You're listening to the word of man, instead of the word of GOD. THAT'S your biggest mistake right there.. IT IS POSSIBLE TO TREAT OTHERS THE SAME WAY THAT YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.. Just because you're stuck in your wallow pit, doesn't mean that you can't do nice stuff for others.

And loving all people as Christ loves us, is explained to be impossible under the LAW. But fine after the law. Do you give 2 months wages to a homeless person, for a hotel, give money for food and clothes, knowing that person killed your child the week or year before. Then say if it costs anymore to look after them, I'll pay it and nurse them. For every enemy and neighbour? Thinking no judgement or anger, ever. I have never heard of anyone doing this sort of thing except Jesus. It seems mentally impossible, but if it is possible, are we all going to hell because we're not this way? The closest people I've heard of to this are war missionaries, in war zones. Are we serving two masters?

Mar 21, 2017
Just wondering if anyone else thinks that all this has no point except to be better off in heaven after death. As every dream or effort seems to have a selfish connection no matter what. Unless your a travelling healer preacher.
Take another look.

Does God not desire that you and I have eternal life, an abundant life? Of course.
Does my having that life take away from you having it?

If I take what is given to me, handed to me, offered, I am only selfish in taking it when my motive, incentive is so I don't feel pain at your having it. That's selfish.

Receiving the blessings of God is not selfish.

Suggestion to cure your feeling of being selfish or seeing everything we do and having possessions as a result of selfishness -
The next time you dine out and see a homeless person, ask yourself: Is my dining out unjustly taking food away from him?
Are you intentionally having a meal just so he can't (last bit of food)? If so, that's selfish. If not, that's just you living and functioning as God created you.

And if that doesn't alleviate your guilt, give the poor fellow some money or invite him in for supper. Sure you will feel better, but feeling better is not selfish.

And if what you think is true about selfishness, don't forget to include Jesus. For according to your all inclusive definition of everything is selfish, then Jesus was....
(Certainly not!).

Last, the bible tells us to work. Two reasons: to feed ourselves and to help others. That's not selfish.
Set high goals, big goals. Not selfish. You're equipping yourself to support yourself and to be able to help others.

Last edited:

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Just wondering if anyone else thinks that all this has no point except to be better off in heaven after death. As every dream or effort seems to have a selfish connection no matter what. Unless your a travelling healer preacher.
In today's society we teach self/vanity.. we don't teach freedom from self... Matthew 16:25 talks about losing your life for Christs sake and finding it..Matthew 16:24 talks about denying yourself and picking up your cross.. Its not that everything is selfish, its that we were taught the wrong way of thinking..we are to be renewed by the spirit of our minds
-Ephesians 4:23-.. Romans 12:2 says not to be conformed to the world and again to be renewed in your mind.

Feb 24, 2015
You are saying something extreme. Imagine if you did a one off gift of love
to someone. That neither makes you true to love or if you have not done this
a denier of love. Jesus is saying you need love in your heart, you need a pure
heart, innocense to see people as they are and to walk with Him.

How are you doing?

D

Depleted

I haven't watched the video, but I understand where MacArthur is coming from. Agree with you and him. It IS impossible. WE can't do it. We don't even particular want to do it.

But God is, God makes the impossible and works it out through us. WE can't.

He CAN!

The idea is to use his strength in us, not man up! (Is "man up" understood on your side of the pond?) Then we find out it's worth doing and enjoyable to do. Amazing things happen when we let God work through us, instead of fighting him.

D

Depleted

D

Depleted

YOU'RE trying to serve two masters.. You're listening to the word of man, instead of the word of GOD. THAT'S your biggest mistake right there.. IT IS POSSIBLE TO TREAT OTHERS THE SAME WAY THAT YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.. Just because you're stuck in your wallow pit, doesn't mean that you can't do nice stuff for others.
NO! He's not!

And, NO, it IS IMPOSSIBLE!

Your mistake is judging him without at least getting what he's saying.

D

Depleted

Take another look.

Does God not desire that you and I have eternal life, an abundant life? Of course.
Does my having that life take away from you having it?

If I take what is given to me, handed to me, offered, I am only selfish in taking it when my motive, incentive is so I don't feel pain at your having it. That's selfish.

Receiving the blessings of God is not selfish.

Suggestion to cure your feeling of being selfish or seeing everything we do and having possessions as a result of selfishness -
The next time you dine out and see a homeless person, ask yourself: Is my dining out unjustly taking food away from him?
Are you intentionally having a meal just so he can't (last bit of food)? If so, that's selfish. If not, that's just you living and functioning as God created you.

And if that doesn't alleviate your guilt, give the poor fellow some money or invite him in for supper. Sure you will feel better, but feeling better is not selfish.

And if what you think is true about selfishness, don't forget to include Jesus. For according to your all inclusive definition of everything is selfish, then Jesus was....
(Certainly not!).

Last, the bible tells us to work. Two reasons: to feed ourselves and to help others. That's not selfish.
Set high goals, big goals. Not selfish. You're equipping yourself to support yourself and to be able to help others.
Um, check out John MacArthur's sermon/video. (Linked it in my previous post.) Dai gets it, man! (Possibly better than what you're trying to tell him to do.)

Mar 21, 2017
Um, check out John MacArthur's sermon/video. (Linked it in my previous post.) Dai gets it, man! (Possibly better than what you're trying to tell him to do.)

You are depleted.
I was trying to help him see things a bit different. You come along with your leftist liberal antichristian attitude.
Still angry about so many issues, wonder what they could be.
You ain't no lady! Got that right.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
It sounds to me Dai, that you are stuck in a web of religion. Jesus offers life through His presence in your life.

Its hard to do anything positive with dark clouds over head...doubts and negativity. You haven't been baptized by Jesus have you?

Then you will have the power of Holy Spirit, the helper, to overcome.