What's this separation of Mexican families about?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
Hi!

Can someone please tell me what is this all about? Why are the kids being separated from their parents? I understand those families are trying to get illegally in the USA but I don't understand why the separation. How dealt the USA with illegal immigrants (who brought their children with them) before Trump?

Please send links to articles and explain to me what's happening.

S

SpoonJuly

Hi!

Can someone please tell me what is this all about? Why are the kids being separated from their parents? I understand those families are trying to get illegally in the USA but I don't understand why the separation. How dealt the USA with illegal immigrants (who brought their children with them) before Trump?

This is nothing new. Was also happing under Obama.
Parents are arrested for violating law.
Kids are not sent to jail with parents.
No different than if the parent was arrested for DUI.

U

Ugly

Hi!

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
When a person breaks the US law by entering the country illegally, the first offense is a misdemeanor. If they get sent back, then return, breaking the law again, it becomes a felony.

As has been mentioned, children who are with parents during the commission of, and the arrest thereafter, are NOT sent to jail with the adult felons. They are put in the care of Health and Human Services. The issue here is that there are so MANY felons being arrested/detained, that there had to be special care locations for all those children.

From what I hear, the kids are getting healthcare, free meals, and school type classes each day. Hardly a "penal institute" as the press is trying to portray it.

We could emulate the UK, and sentence the illegal immigrants to 6 months in jail, then send them back home.... Or, emulate Mexico, and sentence the illegals to an undetermined amount of time in a hell-hole type of prison.

Many are trying to claim "refugee" status, but that begs the question.... if you are a true refugee, why did you not present yourself at a legal port of entry, to plead your case for political asylum, instead of sneaking across the border, in violation of our law?

This is NOT an "immigration" issue. These people are breaking the laws of the US, and are felons.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
Thank you all for your answers.

I read here that separating families is something new and it is part of the "zero-tolerance" politic of Trump. John Kelly says here that this politic serves as a "tough deterrent" for illegally crossing the border.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
Good point at the end.

I don't understand something. She says that the unaccompanied children must be handed to the sponsors (which are parents or relatives of the children), but since most of the sponsors are illegally in the USA, they don't show up at the court date (when they are supposed to pick the children up), instead, they move and change their address. Now, here's what I don't understand: how can they have an address (of which the government know about) if they are illegal?

My friend once wanted to go visit her American boyfriend in the USA and when the police asked her the motif of her visit, she lied and said she was visiting his mom. They called his mom and she said that the girl is her son's girlfriend. She spent 60 hours in jail and then was sent back in Romania (I don't know who paid for the plane ticket). So, I guess that's why I don't understand how can you be illegally in the USA and have an address and the police know about you...

U

Ugly

I read here that separating families is something new and it is part of the "zero-tolerance" politic of Trump. John Kelly says here that this politic serves as a "tough deterrent" for illegally crossing the border.
In the video she tells that she wrote about this very thing happening during the Obama administration. How did she write about it and take pictures if it didn't start till Trump?

U

Ugly

Good point at the end.

I don't understand something. She says that the unaccompanied children must be handed to the sponsors (which are parents or relatives of the children), but since most of the sponsors are illegally in the USA, they don't show up at the court date (when they are supposed to pick the children up), instead, they move and change their address. Now, here's what I don't understand: how can they have an address (of which the government know about) if they are illegal?

My friend once wanted to go visit her American boyfriend in the USA and when the police asked her the motif of her visit, she lied and said she was visiting his mom. They called his mom and she said that the girl is her son's girlfriend. She spent 60 hours in jail and then was sent back in Romania (I don't know who paid for the plane ticket). So, I guess that's why I don't understand how can you be illegally in the USA and have an address and the police know about you...
A temporary shelter while they wait to be sent back?

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Good point at the end.

I don't guess I understand why the police would be questioning her in the first place. The police do not routinely stop people to "question" them...
Did she break some kind of law and get detained? And, visitors can come to the US for any reason whatsoever... they do not have to get permission to come visit. I don't even know if there is a "limit" to how long you can stay here before you have to leave.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I don't know about know but I used to live 3mi n 0f the T.J./San Diego border crossing and they were boyh 'free ports' or duty free zones so with proper I.D. we could go shopping down there as far as Ensenada and they do the same as far as Oceanside inc. visit relatives. Americans often moved down there and worked up here if they were willing to sit in their cars 1 1/2 - 3 hrs. to cross going north. There are places where we can walk accross but come on Americans walk?

Dec 9, 2011

It's all good until someone gets hurt.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
In the video she tells that she wrote about this very thing happening during the Obama administration. How did she write about it and take pictures if it didn't start till Trump?
She took pictures of the unaccompanied children being held in cages under Obama administration. And yes, it is outrageous and cynical.

From minute 2:49 she starts to talk about splitting the children from their parents. She says that under Obama, the illegal immigrant who came with a child was given a notice to appear in court and that about 80% of them didn't show up for their hearing. She also says that the left wing judges from California ordered this splitting (because you couldn't incarcerate the child with the parent, of course). She does not say if this order was actually executed. She says that now Trump is dealing with the mess that he didn't create the situation.

So, the separation of the families at the border is a new practice. That's what I understand.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
I don't guess I understand why the police would be questioning her in the first place. The police do not routinely stop people to "question" them....
They questioned her when she arrived at the airport. I think it was more of a routine question and, unfortunately for her, she didn't took it too seriously and told a little lie.

U

Ugly

She took pictures of the unaccompanied children being held in cages under Obama administration. And yes, it is outrageous and cynical.

From minute 2:49 she starts to talk about splitting the children from their parents. She says that under Obama, the illegal immigrant who came with a child was given a notice to appear in court and that about 80% of them didn't show up for their hearing. She also says that the left wing judges from California ordered this splitting (because you couldn't incarcerate the child with the parent, of course). She does not say if this order was actually executed. She says that now Trump is dealing with the mess that he didn't create the situation.

So, the separation of the families at the border is a new practice. That's what I understand.
No, she said that the things people are claiming is Trumps doing is the exact same thing as what was going on under the Obama administration. That message was the entire point of the video.
The child in the cage is a picture taken showing a child separated from their parent, put in a cage, during the Obama administration.
She presented the evidence but you're denying it, denying what she clearly stated and keep saying "yeah but this is what I read". Quote some godless liberal propaganda all you want but the video disproves that claim.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
The child in the cage is a picture taken showing a child separated from their parent, put in a cage, during the Obama administration.
She does not say it was separated from their parent. Sorry.

She presented the evidence but you're denying it, denying what she clearly stated and keep saying "yeah but this is what I read". Quote some godless liberal propaganda all you want but the video disproves that claim.
I want to get to the bottom of this, I want the truth, and yes, I will read from more sources.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I think that the Trump administration has stepped up the actual enforcement of existing law. The laws that previous administrations have either ignored, or only enforced sporadically, when it served their agenda.

Trump is the only president who has proposed a solution that will offer any kind of a fair deal for the so-called "dreamers", and Congress just can't seem to agree on it and pass it.

Anybody with any intelligence at all can see that the illegal immigrants are simply pawns being used for political gain. The liberals want to just open the borders to anyone that can waddle across, with the promise of free housing, schooling, food, medical care, etc....
That will guarantee a huge voting block, which will mean the liberals can never be voted out of office.

This approach was started by President Lyndon Johnson, when he introduced his welfare plan called the "Great Society".... which was aimed at inner city black people. ....he is quoted by multiple sources saying "I'll have those ni****ers voting democrat for the next 200 years" The liberals have been using that playbook ever since.... learning quickly that if you give people free stuff, they will vote for you, no matter what else you do.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I think that the Trump administration has stepped up the actual enforcement of existing law. The laws that previous administrations have either ignored, or only enforced sporadically, when it served their agenda.

Trump is the only president who has proposed a solution that will offer any kind of a fair deal for the so-called "dreamers", and Congress just can't seem to agree on it and pass it.

Anybody with any intelligence at all can see that the illegal immigrants are simply pawns being used for political gain. The liberals want to just open the borders to anyone that can waddle across, with the promise of free housing, schooling, food, medical care, etc....
That will guarantee a huge voting block, which will mean the liberals can never be voted out of office.

This approach was started by President Lyndon Johnson, when he introduced his welfare plan called the "Great Society".... which was aimed at inner city black people. ....he is quoted by multiple sources saying "I'll have those ni****ers voting democrat for the next 200 years" The liberals have been using that playbook ever since.... learning quickly that if you give people free stuff, they will vote for you, no matter what else you do.
I agree with paragraphs 1, 2, & 4 but the third paragraph second sentence I disagree with. I'm a liberal and I don't want to just hand out green cards and welfare checks to all commers however I beleive standing up to Narco Terrorists is supported by the Monroe Doctrine in spirit and the war on drugs. Let's try and make it safer for our neighbors to go back home.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I agree with paragraphs 1, 2, & 4 but the third paragraph second sentence I disagree with. I'm a liberal and I don't want to just hand out green cards and welfare checks to all commers however I beleive standing up to Narco Terrorists is supported by the Monroe Doctrine in spirit and the war on drugs. Let's try and make it safer for our neighbors to go back home.

When old uncle James signed it [the Monroe doctrine] they didn't have narco-terrorists but they had slavery so he wrote the Missouri Compromise. I guess you'd call him a liberal too

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I always thought when the parents commit a crime they cannot take their children to prison with them?? Child protective services takes the children and provides temporary custody of the children until the parents are adjudicated through the legal system.

Word of warning: don't do the crime if you can't do the time don't do it.

What we have here is the ultra progressives giving special accommodation to criminals who endeavor to enter this country by means other than those established in the law. They become criminals the minute they enter illegally.

Rob a bank if you are a citizen your children may be taken into state custody if there are no family willing to keep them. Even then if the family is not acceptable the state may still intervene.

For the cause of Christ
Roger