Whats your jam?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Im finding I dont listen to much new music anymore as I never have the radio on that would play new songs so I dont really know whats new, even christian radio.

I think its because I cant get good reception on my car radio (the bandwidth is too high) and at home I never have radio on. I would listen to podcast on topics but not just music.

I feel like I would like to find something new or a band or artist that really grabs me to pay attention and listen but havent really had that experience for years and church music tends to be all 'rock style' which I am not a huge fan of.

A teacher friend invited me to karaoke at her local RSA club but, as its RSA oldies go, and they only seem to like country and western type music most of which can be depressing and hokey...she calls it 'dirgey' ok if you in the mood for heartbreak hotel or something or anything pre 1980s. But then its music you supposed to sing a long to and the lyrics are the thing, not really music for the sake of music.

I confess a liking for catchy show tunes lol but if I requested that at that karaoke it probably wouldnt be met with much audience reaction! One lady was brave though and attempted to sing Celine Dions 'My heart will Go on' she actually wasnt too bad. There was one guy who did an amazing Elton John number even though I am not a fan of Elton John, he could really sing. I just embarass myself by attemtping something thats not too out of my range.

Are there any christian karaoke songs that people could sing as a witness perhaps? Im open to suggestions.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
If I want to do an aerobics workout or dance, this is a jam:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Am into classical music, but tbh, I like all genres except metal and grunge. Excuse my distaste for those that yall are into. No judging, pinky swear. lol. Do you also play any instruments or you a part of the worship team?
Side note: I am always fascinated by the assumptions people make when they find out you like a certain style of music. Some people cannot comprehend how a person can like multiple styles that are wildly different from each other.

After my Aunt Lucy found out I liked Christian rap, she has assumed I don't like Southern gospel. It has come up multiple times, even though I have corrected her multiple times and even listed all the southern gospel in my collection - hemphills, hinsons, Gold city quartet, cathedrals, Rex Nelon singers, it's all in there. But last I heard she still assumed I hate Southern gospel.

One day at work I was listening to music and my phone happened to be playing contemporary Christian from the '70s... Which is no longer anywhere near contemporary, but that is still what it's called... And a coworker said, in a rather mocking tone, "yeah man! This is rocking!"

"You prefer a different style?"

"I'm more into heavy metal," he said, "but you wouldn't have anything like that."

I laughed quietly to myself and reached for my phone to change to a different group.

"Did you just chuckle at me?"

I ignored him and started playing the first track of Kutless' first album. It's pretty mild by modern standards, but still technically heavy metal. He listened to it for about 3/4 of a minute, then said, "okay, you know metal."

I replied, "yes I was chuckling at you." :sneaky::cool:

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
I am probably a bit of an oddball, but I am extremely selective when it comes to listening to music. In fact, I do not even have a radio in my car, and I am thankful for that.

When I listen to music, it is either one of a very limited amount of Christian songs that I like, and those are songs which truly glorify God (some are only instrumental), or it is a variety of different love songs. Basically, I try to put into myself exactly what I want to come out of myself. Where the love songs are concerned, my range of musicians and genres is all over the place.

Well, now that everybody knows why I am single, I will just go my merry way. :whistle:

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
I like all of the jams from Smucker's.
Same, but I hardly ever eat any. It just dawned on me, after reading your post, that I hardly ever eat any type of bread, and that is what jam normally goes on. When I say hardly ever, I mean like I might not eat any at all in an entire year. I just got that revelation. lol.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
no need to excuse. i listen to classical, big band, rock , rock & roll, soft rock, hard rock, heavy metal jazz, easy listening, top-40, country, gospel, modern christian music, marching music, swing, opera & broadway. no rap, latin or hip-hop. i am a drummer. i listen to hard rock & metal because those guys are amongst the most talented musicians in the world. i don't worship, support or praise the music, i just listen to it to hear the virtuosity & super talent that it is. for instance, it'll be a miracle if a drummer better than John Henry Bonham of Led Zeppelin comes along. this guy incorporated a jazz, swing, bluesy, triplet, heavy rock sound in his playing. he plays fills anywhere in the song. his playing is extremely dimensional & complicated. i was a drummer on a worship team & the leader didn't like me playing crossing hands & playing cymbals upside down. i was playing in the spirit & she didn't like it. for the time i was there the attendance increased greatly & she ruined it by trying to control people. after that, attendance decreased.
I'm derailing and apologize up front, but Karlon, you're right about John Bonham. There was no one like him and you're probably right, no one ever better. The 16ths and 32's beats almost too late and almost too early, with his feet on a different planet. He told stories is what he did. He was amazing to watch. And Jason his son brought shades of John at that Kennedy Center thing when Led Zeppelin was honored...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Same, but I hardly ever eat any. It just dawned on me, after reading your post, that I hardly ever eat any type of bread, and that is what jam normally goes on. When I say hardly ever, I mean like I might not eat any at all in an entire year. I just got that revelation. lol.
Right now I'm gonna eat a bagel.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
Right now I'm gonna eat a bagel.
Sure, rub it in. Only kidding. I like bagels. I just have not had one in a long time. Now that I think about it, I did eat at Panera Bread not too long ago, and part of my meal was some French onion soup that came with a baguette that I dipped in the soup, so I guess my bread drought was a bit shorter than I originally calculated.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Sure, rub it in. Only kidding. I like bagels. I just have not had one in a long time. Now that I think about it, I did eat at Panera Bread not too long ago, and part of my meal was some French onion soup that came with a baguette that I dipped in the soup, so I guess my bread drought was a bit shorter than I originally calculated.
French onion soup is good eating for sure, especially with the baguette.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
French onion soup is good eating for sure, especially with the baguette.
It most certainly is. I have learned to really enjoy the simple things in life, and having working taste buds is one of them.

Anyway, before we derail this thread any further, I will bow out.

Have a great night.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It most certainly is. I have learned to really enjoy the simple things in life, and having working taste buds is one of them.

Anyway, before we derail this thread any further, I will bow out.

Have a great night.
I enjoy the simple things in life too. My policy for years is to travel light on my life's journey and not get bogged down by the latest toys or trends.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
I enjoy the simple things in life too. My policy for years is to travel light on my life's journey and not get bogged down by the latest toys or trends.
1 Corinthians 7:30-31

"...and they that buy, as though they possessed not; And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away."