Whats your spiritual gift?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
According to 1Cor 12:1-11, spiritual gifts are empowerments, i.e. they are
special abilities bestowed by the Spirit and also energized by the Spirit. In
other words: we're not talking about abilities that people are born with, viz:
natural aptitudes.

According to Eph 4:11-15, spiritual gifts are bestowed upon selected
individuals for the benefit of Jesus' church.

Now take the gift of teaching. It isn't enough for the instructor himself to be
Spirit-enabled and Spirit-energized. No, according to the second chapter of
1Corinthians, his audience needs a Spirit empowerment themselves before
they will accept his information as the God's truth.

I sometimes encounter people on internet forums who ask how to know if a
certain Bible teacher is someone they can trust. Well; the secret to finding a
Bible teacher you can trust is to first have an ear you can trust.
_

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I would like to be a miracle worker please.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
According to 1Cor 12:1-11, spiritual gifts are empowerments, i.e. they are
special abilities bestowed by the Spirit and also energized by the Spirit. In
other words: we're not talking about abilities that people are born with, viz:
natural aptitudes.

According to Eph 4:11-15, spiritual gifts are bestowed upon selected
individuals for the benefit of Jesus' church.

Now take the gift of teaching. It isn't enough for the instructor himself to be
Spirit-enabled and Spirit-energized. No, according to the second chapter of
1Corinthians, his audience needs a Spirit empowerment themselves before
they will accept his information as the God's truth.

I sometimes encounter people on internet forums who ask how to know if a
certain Bible teacher is someone they can trust. Well; the secret to finding a
Bible teacher you can trust is to first have an ear you can trust.
_
Very very good point.

Being in the meat is key.

I remember a man telling me why he picked our church.

He was new to the area and didn't want to fish for a church by going to a dozen churches as seeing which one sounds the best. Instead he went to work and waited to see who tried to spread the Gospel to him, and to see how those who claim to be Christians lived.

I was really astonished by that...

It was completely different than what I normally see people pick a church do.

K

KT88

How does "must have a drink" fit into your teaching?

This is one of those I-am-really-just-playing-around-but-with-a-serious-point-to-make posts.

If you really consider yourself to be an 'annointed' teacher [of the Bible], why did you choose that user name???

(Just wondering...)
It's a recommendation for those prior to listening to his sermons lol

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
How does "must have a drink" fit into your teaching?

This is one of those I-am-really-just-playing-around-but-with-a-serious-point-to-make posts.

If you really consider yourself to be an 'annointed' teacher [of the Bible], why did you choose that user name???

(Just wondering...)
A thirst after the truth

Shc

Jul 12, 2017
it took me many many years to realize ….but it has been revealed to me by the divine....only if you care to read and not judge what I am saying will make sense.

20 Largest Earthquakes in the World from USGS since records kept.

THE FIRST Five ARE BELOW
Mag Location Alternative Name Date (UTC)
9.5Bio-Bio, Chile Valdivia Earthquake 1960-05-22
2.9.2Southern Alaska1964 Great Alaska Earthquake, Prince William Sound Earthquake, Good Friday Earthquake 1964-03-28
9.1Off the West Coast of Northern Sumatra Sumatra-Andaman Islands Earthquake, 2004 Sumatra Earthquake and Tsunami, Indian Ocean Earthquake 2004-12-26
9.1Near the East Coast of Honshu, Japan Tohoku Earthquake 2011-03-11
5.9.0Off the East Coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula, Russia

The second largest earthquake, the Alaskan earthquake is also known as the Good Friday quake because it occurred during the Christian holy day of Good Friday, the day associated with Jesus's crucifixion.

The third largest Indonesian Earthquake occurred on Dec 25, 2014 in US time which is also a holy day of Christmas.

It is about 40 years between 1964 and 2004. The number 40 is significant in the bible.

When the Christmas earthquake happened Jesus made me realize it and when the same magnitude earthquake happened again in 2011 seven years, I realized it is indeed the risen lord.

The third largest Indonesian earthquake and fourth largest Japanese earthquake are similar. An earthquake followed by tsunami. If you take the I from Indonesia and J from Japan it reveals I J which is I Jesus......

another minor one in Christchurch NZ in the year 2011.

and i know there are numerous earthquakes happening everywhere...
Christchurch earthquake minor?!!!!

I was in the middle of town in Christchurch when it happened.. that was a major earthquake! 6.3 on the richter but had uplifting as well as side to side which amplified the affect.

Anyway-- just thought i'd put that in there.
Hi ...please see link below...this happened recently. For it to happen soon after my previous post ....I feel is something of the divine order.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/13/asia/japan-earthquake-intl/index.html

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
If perchance someone's gift is teaching (Rom 12:7) does that mean their
interpretations of the Bible are infallible?
_
The gift of teaching does not enable the teacher to understand or interpret the Bible better. It does however allow them to deliver what they do know in a way that can be understood plainly. They are enabled by the Spirit to explain the Scriptures with effectiveness and ease. The teacher still has to put in the time to study just like everyone else; that gift does not enlighten them in any way.

But I will also say that certain gifts are complementary to other gifts. So depending on a person's calling, they may also receive another gift in addition to teaching that enables them to have more insight into the wisdom of God. This allows them to learn more in short periods of time if they are called to be a pastor for example.
For people who are called to work outside of the church walls, they might very well have the gift of teaching in order to teach people in an informal setting and lack the complimentary gift because they do not need to take in that much knowledge for the amount of informal teaching they do on a weekly basis.

Teaching can be a gift and a calling. Sometimes people have the gift and the calling to teach. Other times, they only have the gift and are meant to use it informally, rather than preparing a weekly sermon (which takes a lot of time to prepare).
I hope that is helpful

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
We should understand that the Holy Spirit may use a vessel continuously or intermittently according to the need at hand.
For example, in my early years I experienced a couple of dreams & visions. As I grew spiritually, the need arose to teach adult SS. I was about 19-20 at the time. Since then preaching & a little bit of prophecy. Some stay, some come & go. Regardless, all gifts are to edify(build up) the body of Christ.

Ephesians 4: 11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Regardless of what gift manifests in your life, always minister them in love. (1 Cor 13, whole chapter.)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
. If perchance someone's gift is teaching (Rom 12:7) does that mean their interpretations of the Bible are infallible?
Not infallible but consistent with all Gospel truth and Bible truth. Once man-made doctrines enter the picture, that's the end of proper Bible interpretation. Many well-known theologians have this problem.

S

Scribe

I believe that the Bible teaches that there is a Baptism in the Holy Spirit available to those who are born again. This is when one can also receive the gift of speaking in tongues. This is the beginning of the journey to learning how to operate in the Gifts of the Spirit.
It is not really the objective to identify what your gift is so much as being endued with power from on high to be a witness for Christ.
The Holy Spirit can use you in any of the gifts as He wills.

In the Assembly of the church the Spirit will use people to operate in a particular gift for the edification of all and He does not use them all to operate in the same gift. This means that one will operate in one gift another in a different gift. One might give a tongue, another will give the interpretation. One might give a prophecy. On another day the person who gave a tongue might give a prophecy. Paul was not saying that we are locked into one gift. He was saying that in the assembly not everyone is going to operate in the same gift. Do all speak in tongues in the assembly? I hope not, it will be chaos. Do all prophecy? That would be madness also. One at a time, according to the manifestation of the Spirit as He wills.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are distributed to those who are filled with the Holy Spirit. They will be called, empowered and prompted by the Holy Spirit to operate in those gifts. They require faith to operate in them and so you will know your gifts by stepping out in faith and having them confirmed by use. There will also be a witness from the body of Christ.

When those who have a gift to preach or teach under the empowerment of the Holy Spirit there is no question about it to others who are filled with the Holy Spirit hear them. They recognize these gifts because they bear witness in the Spirit.

The same can be said about the other gifts listed. There is a Power of God that is observable and can be attested to by Spirit Filled people. Spiritual gifts are manifested and received by Spirit filled people. Unspiritual people don't get it. These gifts are for the benefit of the spiritual people's edification.

Start by asking the Lord to Fill you with the Holy Spirit and give you the gift of speaking in tongues. As you pray in tongues you will learn how to operate in the other gifts. There is a growth in sensitivity to the Spirit that will happen over time and use of the gifts.

Be careful not to discuss natural gifts or talents when discussing Holy Spirit imparted gifts that we are not born with, but that are given after the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and have nothing to do with our natural abilities.

S

Scribe

I believe that the Bible teaches that there is a Baptism in the Holy Spirit available to those who are born again. This is when one can also receive the gift of speaking in tongues. This is the beginning of the journey to learning how to operate in the Gifts of the Spirit.
It is not really the objective to identify what your gift is so much as being endued with power from on high to be a witness for Christ.
The Holy Spirit can use you in any of the gifts as He wills.

In the Assembly of the church the Spirit will use people to operate in a particular gift for the edification of all and He does not use them all to operate in the same gift. This means that one will operate in one gift another in a different gift. One might give a tongue, another will give the interpretation. One might give a prophecy. On another day the person who gave a tongue might give a prophecy. Paul was not saying that we are locked into one gift. He was saying that in the assembly not everyone is going to operate in the same gift. Do all speak in tongues in the assembly? I hope not, it will be chaos. Do all prophecy? That would be madness also. One at a time, according to the manifestation of the Spirit as He wills.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are distributed to those who are filled with the Holy Spirit. They will be called, empowered and prompted by the Holy Spirit to operate in those gifts. They require faith to operate in them and so you will know your gifts by stepping out in faith and having them confirmed by use. There will also be a witness from the body of Christ.

When those who have a gift to preach or teach under the empowerment of the Holy Spirit there is no question about it to others who are filled with the Holy Spirit hear them. They recognize these gifts because they bear witness in the Spirit.

The same can be said about the other gifts listed. There is a Power of God that is observable and can be attested to by Spirit Filled people. Spiritual gifts are manifested and received by Spirit filled people. Unspiritual people don't get it. These gifts are for the benefit of the spiritual people's edification.

Start by asking the Lord to Fill you with the Holy Spirit and give you the gift of speaking in tongues. As you pray in tongues you will learn how to operate in the other gifts. There is a growth in sensitivity to the Spirit that will happen over time and use of the gifts.

Be careful not to discuss natural gifts or talents when discussing Holy Spirit imparted gifts that we are not born with, but that are given after the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and have nothing to do with our natural abilities.
There is also an imperative to live an exemplary holy life. Being above reproach in everything that you do or say will make you available for the Spirit to use you in the gifts. They are gifts of the HOLY Spirit and He requires Holiness in his vessels for these gifts to have their full impact in edifying others.

There is nothing worse than a carnal member of a church living an unholy lifestyle trying to operate in the gifts of the Spirit in the congregation and drawing contempt from those who know how they are living. It turns everyone off as being a fake manifestation. Holiness and integrity is required in order to be lead by the Spirit.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
The gift of teaching does not enable the teacher to understand or interpret the Bible better. It does however allow them to deliver what they do know in a way that can be understood plainly. They are enabled by the Spirit to explain the Scriptures with effectiveness and ease. The teacher still has to put in the time to study just like everyone else; that gift does not enlighten them in any way.

But I will also say that certain gifts are complementary to other gifts. So depending on a person's calling, they may also receive another gift in addition to teaching that enables them to have more insight into the wisdom of God. This allows them to learn more in short periods of time if they are called to be a pastor for example.
For people who are called to work outside of the church walls, they might very well have the gift of teaching in order to teach people in an informal setting and lack the complimentary gift because they do not need to take in that much knowledge for the amount of informal teaching they do on a weekly basis.

Teaching can be a gift and a calling. Sometimes people have the gift and the calling to teach. Other times, they only have the gift and are meant to use it informally, rather than preparing a weekly sermon (which takes a lot of time to prepare).
I hope that is helpful
No one in the New Testament Church prepared a weekly sermon. They met together each evening in their homes for a meal and to share what the Holy Spirit has been showing them through their personal experience. We don't have that today because most people do not have any personal experience.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
The fact of the matter is that the New Terstament Church we are usually taught about in church is nothing like the one that actualy existed.
Sad, but true, and because the Body of Christ has strayed far from this truth, the vast majority of "denominations/churches" only have an empty shell of religion and nothing else...absolutely NO demonstration of God's Presence or Power, so that people year after year get none of their needs met! Matt 15v1-9, Mark 11v17, Luke 11v52, 2Tim 3v5

I spent a couple of years doing the same study (many years ago) and came to much the same conclusion...God will NOT pour His blessing into the unscriptural ideas and schemes of men!