When Anxiety Gets In The Way

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SkittlePumpkin

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2015
1,666
147
63
Something you should know about me; I love people. I really do. I love to people-watch, because I find people to be so extraordinarily beautiful. We are God's creation, afterall. I want to know everything about everybody. Not because I'm nosy; because I'm genuinely interested. I want to know your story. I want to know your experiences; your passions. I want to feel what you feel. But I also experience social anxiety.
This is difficult for me because, even though I have such a desire to know people, talking to people is very hard.
Sometimes, I feel kind of useless as a Christian, because I feel like I should be out in the world, proclaiming God's love to everyone, but approaching people is extremely difficult.
If someone says or does something contrary to God's word, I feel like I should say something. Take a stand. But I freeze.
I want to do so many nice things for so many people, but I am afraid to. Here's a little example:
I don't drive; I take the bus everywhere. Sometimes when I'm sitting on the bus, it starts to get crowded. I really just want to stand up and offer my seat to someone, but I get scared. I panic. I think,
"If I stand up, everyone will look at me. And what if the person I offer my seat to says no? I don't think I can handle that kind of rejection!!"
Now, that may sound silly, but anxiety doesn't care about logic. It doesn't care about reason.

However...

I can listen. I can listen so well, in fact; I can listen with every fiber of my being. Sometimes, a person doesn't want advice. They don't want any words at all. They just want someone to listen. That's all.
And I can do that :)



 
Sometimes, listening is all that some one really needs. I know that would be a blessing to me. So consider listening your gift from GOD. As you are a people watcher...you are also listening to everything around you. You do not need to approach or speak to someone. Listening ad seeing helps you grow until one day GOD puts some one in front of you who really needs someone to listen and receive some words of encouragement. Those images and sounds will come back to you and help guide you during that conversation.