When asking God for forgiveness...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2020
Is it possible that when we ask God for forgiveness, after having placed our faith in Christ for forgiveness, that God is a bit surprised at our lack of faith?

Take what the book of Hebrews says:

Hebrews 10:8-10
8Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. 10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:17
17And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Given what these verses say, if I am reading correctly, the singular sin offering of the body of Christ is sufficient to sanctify us for all time. Furthermore, God remembers our sins no more; meaning, sins from the past, present, and future are not taken into account.

Thoughts?

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Is it possible that when we ask God for forgiveness, after having placed our faith in Christ for forgiveness, that God is a bit surprised at our lack of faith?

8Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. 10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Given what these verses say, if I am reading correctly, the singular sin offering of the body of Christ is sufficient to sanctify us for all time. Furthermore, God remembers our sins no more; meaning, sins from the past, present, and future are not taken into account.

Thoughts?
Yes. We have redemption, the forgiveness of sins already. Ephesians 1:7 declares this. What we need is cleansing of the conscience, which is defiled when we sin. We need to confess our sin and then God forgives that particular sin and any that we are unaware of. (1 John 1:9).

It's a bit like having money in the bank. It's ours but we have to withdraw it. Christians are blindingly ignorant at times. Is holiness a problem? It's big deal to some. Righteousness? How hard is that? Who can live up to God's standard? The answers are in God's word, if only we would believe it. As in everything, God has met our need in Christ:

1 Corinthians 1:30 'It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God: our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.”…

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
I don't think he is surprised but our salvation is a process.
Yes, it means he has forgiven all sins past present & future he reiterates in verse 14-
"For by one sacrifice he has made perfect for ever those who are being made holy."

Psalm 103:12 "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

We are works in progress and he will cover us in our weaknesses.
But of course we shouldn't deliberately continue to sin.

We must balance our reliance on the gift of forgiveness by continuing to learn obedience, being conformed to his image.
We are reminded in the same chapter Hebrews 10. Vs 26 "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the
knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,

Again we are reminded, we are forgiven but our sure salvation is a process.
Philippians 2:12
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence
—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Psalm 51:17 King James Version
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Godly sorrow leads to repentance. God sees our contrition, He sees the state of our heart.

When it comes to sin confession and repentance, the confession of sin is not for the sake of receiving forgiveness but for transparency before God. How does God forgive what is already forgiven through the blood of the Lamb? We are justified before God, imputed with righteousness in the eyes of God. Our sin paid for and we, in right standing with the Lord.

What transparency, nakedness, before God does is that we recognize that we have sinned, we are incapable of overcoming it on our own, and we need His grace and sanctification to walk in victory. We cry out to God in our brokenness and He makes us whole; He reveals to us why we do the very things we do not want to do.

If you are in communion with God, blatant sin is an elephant in the room. He doesn’t hold it against you, how can He? Jesus paid for it. But He loves you enough to address it, for your well being. Do you not see the love of God in His commandments, to do what is right? It is, yes for the good of others, but also too your own peace. He wants you walking in the light because there is life in the light.

Our righteousness is a matter of God’s sanctification and our surrender. Our day to day living at times will have the Lord giving you a gut check to not say or do something because it isn’t of love, in the very moment. He saves us from headaches, haha, and words of regret.

The point being, we are forgiven for Christ’s sake and we, in dependence of God, call upon the Lord for grace and mercy to walk righteously. It is in this place of surrender that, not forgiveness, but victory is found. Let God show you why you do what you do, and ask that He would help you walk in love.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Runningman, while the Scriptures make it clear that the Lord Jesus' sacrifice for our sins was a once for all time event .. e.g. 1 Peter 3:18, the Christian life is all about the growing, personal relationship that we have with God .. e.g. John 17:3.

So, while we do not need to ask the Lord to continue forgive us for the purpose of being saved and/or remaining saved, we do need to ask Him to forgive us whenever we sin as believers for the purpose of restoring full-fellowship with Him again (since the guilt of our sin tends to make us feel distant from Him). It is interesting to note that the Apostle John includes himself (along with the rest of the members of the invisible church, at all levels of maturity in the church) as someone who still needed to ask the Lord to forgive Him whenever He sinned (as a Christian). See 1 John 1:8-2:14. ("If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" .. 1 John 1:9)

To use an analogy, when you disobeyed your parents as a kid (or perhaps hurt them in some way that caused them to be upset with you), what was your family life like until you apologized to them for doing so :unsure:

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - as King David said to God
(after he committed murder and adultery), "Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation" .. Psalm 51:12a (not salvation itself, because his salvation was not lost).

Edify

Jan 27, 2021

Thoughts?
No, our Father isn't surprised at much of anything, even when we neglect our salvation.
Hebrews 2:1Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. 2For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, 3how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Repentance trains our soul to submit to the Lordship of Christ. It is also important because we have an enemy who takes advantage of our sin to impede our maturity.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Thoughts?
how does this fit in if nothing is taken into account ?

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:10-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

if sin is no longer taken into account why would anything else in scriptire apply the teachings about right and wrong irrelevant because Jesus died . He died for the worlds sin so then is all the world saved and no one needs to ask forgiveness ?

“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭2:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

there we have it Jesus died for the worlds sin , so now God doesn’t see sin anymore ? I don’t think that’s a good line of thought

if you sin and ignore it or if you sin and recognize it and repent is all the difference. The world has had Jesus die for thier sins also , but they will never repent either so they can’t be remitted

“And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:46-47‬ ‭

the message isn’t Jesus does the end no sin is counted again , it’s Jesus suffered and died for sin and now repent and have your sins remitted

we still have to forst acknolwedge when we sin and Then ask forgivness in Christ or rather that he would blot out our sins

CS1

May 23, 2012

Thoughts?
nope.

Mar 4, 2020
how does this fit in if nothing is taken into account ?

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:10-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

if sin is no longer taken into account why would anything else in scriptire apply the teachings about right and wrong irrelevant because Jesus died . He died for the worlds sin so then is all the world saved and no one needs to ask forgiveness ?

“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭2:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

there we have it Jesus died for the worlds sin , so now God doesn’t see sin anymore ? I don’t think that’s a good line of thought

if you sin and ignore it or if you sin and recognize it and repent is all the difference. The world has had Jesus die for thier sins also , but they will never repent either so they can’t be remitted

“And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:46-47‬ ‭

the message isn’t Jesus does the end no sin is counted again , it’s Jesus suffered and died for sin and now repent and have your sins remitted

we still have to forst acknolwedge when we sin and Then ask forgivness in Christ or rather that he would blot out our sins
Someone who has put their faith in Christ has all of their sins forgiven.

Colossians 2:13
13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Everyone will give an account of the themselves to God:

Romans 14:12
12So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Christians aren't going to be judged according to their sins. Anyone who is judged according to their sins is not be found written in the Lamb's book of life. They will be cast into the lake of fire where they'll have their second death.

I guess you're curious why Christians are judged, then, and why they give an account of themselves to God. The reason for that is to receive words based on what we have done with our gifts as servents of God.

Matthew 25:23
23His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Someone who has put their faith in Christ has all of their sins forgiven.

Colossians 2:13
13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Everyone will give an account of the themselves to God:

Romans 14:12
12So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Christians aren't going to be judged according to their sins. Anyone who is judged according to their sins is not be found written in the Lamb's book of life. They will be cast into the lake of fire where they'll have their second death.

I guess you're curious why Christians are judged, then, and why they give an account of themselves to God. The reason for that is to receive words based on what we have done with our gifts as servents of God.

Matthew 25:23
23His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
someone with faith in Christ repents and has thier sins forgiven through baptism .

this doesn’t mean they now have a lisence to freely sin without care . And certainly doesn’t erase Gods word

Christs death isn’t so we can freely sin or not need to repent and ask forgiveness it’s so we can repent and be free of sins dominion over us so we don’t have to go on obeying it

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
For the purpose of fellowship with God we keep short accounts.

... God may forget but the devil doesn't and he is very keen to make sure we don't.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
someone with faith in Christ repents and has thier sins forgiven through baptism .
Precious friend, a sinner who comes to God in repentance, and believes The Gospel Of The GRACE Of God, For Today, HAS their sins FORGIVEN, The Holy Spirit Baptizing
them Into The Body Of CHRIST! {NOT "water!"} ONE Baptism!