Unless I am misunderstanding you, what you describe is common to all. We all sin in thought, not only in deed. If you think that will ever totally go away, I think you will forever be disappointed. Because the flesh is still with us. For myself, it drives me to my knees in recognition of my continuing need for Jesus as my only hope. Cause without Him, I am a dead duck.
I see it differently. I don't just automatically assume I will always sin. I don't begin my race to trust Him more and more with the thought that the deck is stacked and I will always sin.
I have a sure promise that states otherwise. If I abide in Him, I don't sin. To me, this is saying if I trust Him completely, I don't sin. So my mind gets excited and stirred up to trust Him so completely that I don't sin.
I hear that if I trust Him, I don't sin.
Others seem to hear, if I trust Him, I WILL still sin.
So if the race we are in is a race of faith/abiding/trusting Him completely, I am going to run it to win. And if the way to win is to keep trusting Him more and more, then that's what I'm going to try to do.
I have seen that He wins great victories for me if I trust Him. I have also seen that if I lean to my own hard striving, I continually sin. So I have seen that it is the truth He told, that if I abide in Him, I don't sin. But the moment I begin to try to have victory by any other means than trusting Him, THAT is when I sin.
So where you say you think I will be disappointed if I think I can stop sinning if I trust Him, I will just have to be shown by Him that I am wrong to trust Him that: if I trust Him, I don't sin.
I know there will always be temptations. But I think He means for me to become more and more like Jesus, who didn't fall to those temptations. He gives me a way out of every temptation. And since I have begun to see that this is true, I just race and race to trust Him even more.
He will have to be the one to show me that I am thinking wrongly to think that He means to give me victory over my pride/flesh, the devils ploys, and the constant arguments of the world. He will have to be the one to show me that He won't always give me a way out of the temptations. And until He does, I will continue to believe that if I abide/trust in Him, I won't sin and that He will always give me a way out of every temptation I face. These are His promises and I believe Him that He has told me the truth. So I'm going to stubbornly stick to what He has said and promised and I'm going to race to trust Him more and more so that I don't stumble.
If He shows me that it isn't true that if I trust Him completely, I don't sin, then I will listen to you.
And if He shows me that it isn't true that He will always give me a way out of temptation, then I will listen to you.
Until then, I'm going to keep believing Him. I have not murdered anyone for some time now, so I trust Him because when I began to do what He said, I stopped murdering.
There have been temptations to murder again, but He has given me the way out, just like He said He would.
I'm not going to assume defeat or stumbling. If I do stumble because I leave off abiding in Him only, then I will stumble. But I'm not going to assume right off the bat that He can't do what He's said He will just because someone else says other than what He has promised.
I've talked myself out. Coffee break.