When I was little, I thought...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Depleted

I was reading the results of an old FB survey by Reader's Digest to that sentence and found it humorous, and precious. I was wonder if maybe we could do the same thing. Basically, what did you think as a child that wasn't as accurate as you assumed?

I'll start by my memory.

I knew I was American as far back as I can remember. I just got wrong which kind of American I was for a while.

If you asked me where I lived in winter, I'd answer, "North America."

If you asked me in the summer, "South America."

Feb 14, 2018
When I was a child I thought the moon was made of cheese J I’ve grown up now. It’s made of coke and peanuts.

S

Stranger36147

When I was little, whenever I would see one of these:

I would think the Ninja Turtles must be down there.

Aug 31, 2017
I thought I was black, but just light-skinned. My brother and I were the only white children in a poor black neighborhood. My cousins, uncles, etc. were all black. All of my friends were black. I dressed black; my hair was always in braids and beads. Ebonics was my home language. One day, in citizenship class, we were learning about different cultures working together and my teacher used me and another kid as an example. I didn't understand and asked her what she meant. She explained about white and black people working together, and it dawned on me, she was calling me white. I went home crying to my mom because she called me white and my mom had to have a long discussion with me. lol...

It's funny, because this past summer, my girls (8 and 6) heard somebody call another person a derogatory name in the form of "You white _____." My girls turned to me and my shoulders slumped, knowing we were going to have to discuss a bad word. My oldest just looked at me and asked, "Are you white?" They are mixed and just always assumed everyone was the same color, just different shades.

S

Sweetmorningdew78

Ohhh...I remember this :D When we were kids my mother and all the old people will tell us kids not to play or touch toads because if toads pee on you you'll get warts yayy ...I believed that for so longggg :( ;) and then found out...not true :D

IMG_20180301_180441_445.JPG

Nov 23, 2016
Ketchups purpose was to cool off our food :eek: ... and I was afraid of jello cause' it jiggled :(

B

Bella37

I always sat under the Mulberry Tree in our back yard, the branches were wide spread, & touched the ground all around it. It was my secret place where I felt like I could go & talk to & see the Fairies. I believed in Fairies, don't ask me why I did, because I just did?
I would wait there all by myself, I even loved falling asleep under there. My main reason for going there daily, was to see the Fairies, yet I never did. I am so glade now that they never turned up!!

Love & Hugs!

Bella xo :) <><<

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For the longest time I thought it was "Lincon," not "Lincoln" and when I found out about that second L I had my first conspiracy theory. I thought somebody was going back and rewriting history books by adding that letter in the name. For what motive, to what benefit, I couldn't say.

I also got east and west confused for the longest time, because I lived on a backroad to the north of the main highway. So when we hit the highway we were facing south, which put east to the left and west to the right of me. But on a map east is right and west is left.

S

Susanna

...Everything my older brother said was the truth. He was lying to me left and right, even told me that Galveston was going to sink in the ocean, but he was gonna save me...I didn't really believe this, but I couldn't be too sure either...haha.

louis

Nov 1, 2017
Until about 15 years old, I thought the 1861-1865 skirmish was called the silver war.

Feb 26, 2018
When I was little the roads looked wide from my hometown. When I got bigger I went back and surprised that the roads looked narrow. It felt like an optical illusion.

stand2

Dec 6, 2017
I thought I was black, but just light-skinned. My brother and I were the only white children in a poor black neighborhood. My cousins, uncles, etc. were all black. All of my friends were black. I dressed black; my hair was always in braids and beads. Ebonics was my home language. One day, in citizenship class, we were learning about different cultures working together and my teacher used me and another kid as an example. I didn't understand and asked her what she meant. She explained about white and black people working together, and it dawned on me, she was calling me white. I went home crying to my mom because she called me white and my mom had to have a long discussion with me. lol...

It's funny, because this past summer, my girls (8 and 6) heard somebody call another person a derogatory name in the form of "You white _____." My girls turned to me and my shoulders slumped, knowing we were going to have to discuss a bad word. My oldest just looked at me and asked, "Are you white?" They are mixed and just always assumed everyone was the same color, just different shades.
This reminds me of me and my brother. When we first started school, our farm was "out in the sticks". This was also when schools were segregated. We attended a school named Machado. We were the only non hispanic kids there. By the time I reached 2nd grade, I could speak more spanish than english. Our parents were never told we were going to the wrong school. Apparently the teachers didn't know either (lol). Then, after two years, a school official visited the school (I'm from the government and I'm here to help). The next school year my brother was bussed to one white school, while I was bussed to another. Having to get up at 5 am to catch the first of four busses that would eventually get me to school. After school I would take three busses to the end of Bailey Road (about 8 miles from home) where my Dad picked me up on his way home, arriving at 6:30 pm in time for supper. I have resented what the school system did to me and my brother. But can still (defiantly) speak spanish (lol).

G

Gracie_14

this is fun! buut i can't of anything at all… maybe because im still little lol

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
I bet that made you hopping mad when you found out it wasn't true lol

Ohhh...I remember this :D When we were kids my mother and all the old people will tell us kids not to play or touch toads because if toads pee on you you'll get warts yayy ...I believed that for so longggg :( ;) and then found out...not true :D

View attachment 179126

D

Depleted

this is fun! buut i can't of anything at all… maybe because im still little lol
Because you're closer to that age, I would think the memories would still be fresh.

Here's a fun one. When I was little, my grandmother told me about something she thought when I was little. Her sister, (her twin, so I can't blame older-sibling on this one lol) told her licorice came from all the candy spilled on the floor in the candy factory. At the end of the day, they'd sweep it up and sell it. Because of that, Gram could never talk herself into eating licorice. She did learn her sister lied, just couldn't get the image out of her brain.

AND, because I was little, even though Gram told me it was a lie, I still couldn't eat licorice for a few years because, what if her sister knew something we didn't?

(Which is probably how my older brothers knew it was easy to fool me. lol)

T

Tinuviel

The hymn line that says "melt the clouds of sin and sadness"? I was the kid who lustily sang it "milk the cows of sin and sadness." Oh, and "Hark the Herod Angels Sing." I thought that was a very strange song to be singing at Christmastime lol. Oh, the terrible dangers of growing up in the church! ;)

SovereignGrace

Dec 28, 2016
I was reading the results of an old FB survey by Reader's Digest to that sentence and found it humorous, and precious. I was wonder if maybe we could do the same thing. Basically, what did you think as a child that wasn't as accurate as you assumed?

I'll start by my memory.

I knew I was American as far back as I can remember. I just got wrong which kind of American I was for a while.

If you asked me where I lived in winter, I'd answer, "North America."

If you asked me in the summer, "South America."
I don't consider you an American at all. I consider you a New Joiseydelphianterian...

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
When I was little I was 5ft 7.

Now I'm older I'm still little at 5ft 7

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
Until about 15 years old, I thought the 1861-1865 skirmish was called the silver war.
This is rich! and you're probably getting french benefits too! Of course, I'm the one that thought that if you took something for granted it was granite..... the rock....