When someone asks questions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

EternalSoul

Oct 13, 2013
I think i recall somewhere in the bible that when someone is asking you something that you should give pause before you answer? Is this true?

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
I think i recall somewhere in the bible that when someone is asking you something that you should give pause before you answer? Is this true?
I think it goes without saying that one should think and do some homework before you answer a question. Sometimes I will take a day or two before answering, it also depends on how much you know your Bible. This is how you learn. Oh yea, please read 1 Peter 3:15. :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
We should always give pause before we speak (or write)...

James 1:19 (KJV) Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Look at exactly how Jesus answered questions.
He answered in parables because he knew that anyone who did not know the truth would not possibly be able to make sense of his words.

The repeated response was: Do you believe you can or do you want to.............?

Not many have asked me questions BUT, I do agree that a proper answer should be thought about slowly.

In parable speech:
Life is like a game........If someone bought a very challenging video game and wanted to know the way to win at the game, they could just buy the strategy guide and whiz through all the challenges but, they would not feel any self accomplishment and deep down, EVERYONE likes challenges because when one rises to the challenge and succeeds (with God's help of course.....Non-parable speaking), you feel good about not taking the easy way out and succeeding.

If someone is stuck at a particular spot, there is no harm in helping......I am a fan of never telling anyone what they should be doing but like to always choose the rhetorical question that has them internally challenge their way of thinking.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
We should always give pause before we speak (or write)...

James 1:19 (KJV) Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
We must be ready with meekness:

1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

What do we hope in:

Galatians 5:5 "For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith."

Dec 12, 2013
Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
We must be ready with meekness:

1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

What do we hope in:

Galatians 5:5 "For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith."
Surprisingly, the context of that passage is Christian suffering, especially when we are innocent...

1 Peter 3:13-17 (KJV) And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

Apr 15, 2017
A person should study, and learn before answering a question, and relating the word of God, but many of us made the mistake of not doing that when we first came to God, and might of been embarrassed when we are pointed out as wrong.

And that is because we are not rooted in the word enough, and have not studied, and learned long enough, and take people's word for it.

It is sad when some people who claim Christianity goes on secular television, and gets stumped by people who oppose them, for they do not know how to answer them, or they give an answer that is not compatible.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I was gonna answer a couple of hours ago, but I had to give sufficient pause.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Proverbs 18:13 ?

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
19 Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
20 for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
James 1

This is the sentiment you are getting at.