J
jaybird88
Guest
The nephilim are a pretty hot topic today. Do any of you think we may still have giants walking around today?
The nephilim are a pretty hot topic today. Do any of you think we may still have giants walking around today?
The Nephilim were apparently people of imposing physical stature when compared with the smaller Hebrews (Nu. 13:33). This particular reference is glossed by a statement which implies that the offspring of Anak in Canaan were descended from the renowned Nephilim of Gen. 6:4. The latter had gained a reputation as notable heroes in the antediluvian period, and apparently persisted after the Flood (w g̱am ’aḥ rȇ- ḵēn). This could have occurred through migration, on the basis of a local Mesopotamian deluge, and in that case would account for their descendants living in Canaan.
Genesis 6:1- 4, while meaningful to the original recipients, has become obscure with the passing of time. It is impossible to be certain whether the Nephilim were the same as the “mighty men” (gibbȏrȋm) at the end of v. 4, or a separate group that overlapped chronologically. If they were identical, questions are then raised about the “sons of God” which procreated the “mighty men” (see Sons of God [OT]). Some modern scholars have followed ancient Jewish tradition in supposing that the “sons of God” were “fallen ones,” perhaps angels, who mated with women after being cast out of heaven, thereby giving origin to the “mighty ones” (but see J. Morgenstern, HUCA, 14 [1935], 76- 107). Such a view generally presupposes that vv. 1- 4 are an etiological fragment or a “myth” that helps to explain the character of antediluvian wickedness and the consequent need for the Flood.
What happened to the Giants? Well most were killed by Israel, these are the people that God tells the Hebrews to kill...
most but not all. Solomon drafted the ones left to build the temple. 1 Kings 9
[SUP]20 [/SUP]There were still people left from the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites . Solomon conscripted the descendants of all these peoples remaining in the land—whom the Israelites could not exterminate[SUP][i][/SUP]—to serve as slave labor, as it is to this day.
The nephilim are a pretty hot topic today. Do any of you think we may still have giants walking around today?
I do know for a fact that there are human demon hybrids walking around. I know of someone who is. Science came up with a fantastic explanation for the conception which is the official version, but the mother and child and people who know them know the truth and exactly what went on. Non-beleivers and athiests will of course stick with the official science version, even though it is just as extreme.
A friend of mine once pointed that the small size of much of the surviving armor from the Middle Ages has created the general impression that people were much smaller back then. What's not realized, he explained, is that much of surviving armor was actually made for children, that's the reason it has survived. It may be that the surviving armor from antiquity, that you have discussed above, was of a similar sort.Here is someone's statement that is from another site.
Don't laugh, I know that the title sounds silly, but it's an honest question - here goes.
When I went to the Brooklyn museum about a year ago I saw one of the mummies there from I-cant-remember-which-(Egyptian)-dynasty. I was very surprised by how short the chap seemed, even though I prepared myself for the idea that he might be rather small by our modern comparisons.
Again this year I was very fortunate to go to a hellenistic museum exhibit in Manhattan that had, in addition to a number of cool vase paintings and such some pieces of ancient bronze armor (a helmet and greaves). Again, I was shocked by the size of the pieces. The helmet honestly looked small enough to fit a child (From what I understand, because there was no mass production then, armor would hae to be more or less custom made unless inherited from a relative or otherwise - and armor was made for fully grown and respected 'citizen soldiers' so it's highly unlikely that it belonged to a child at all, as some people suggested to me).
It would be one thing is the greaves were short and stocky, I can imagine a short and stocky mediterranean man, but they were short and very thin! I wouldn't be exaggerating when I say that in comparison a modern man would seem like a giant.