Here is why Christianity, as it is lived today, frustrates me to the very depths of my soul. Most Christians look just like the world. They walk and talk and do the things the world does...with a "Christian" spin. So, maybe they don't blatantly fornicate, but they have no problem watching fornication on t.v. Maybe they don't steal from stores or banks, but they have no issue making personal copies and prints at work and taking them home. Maybe they don't outright lie, but they manipulate and twist the truth to come across shining in the situation.
Then you have the ones that you speak truth to and they go insane and call you judgmental and a whole selection of other things, such as a hypocrite, and you're trying to tell them that the reason they feel judged and why they are so uncomfortable with the truth is because Holy Spirit is convicting them, not because you're judging them. I mean, really, what does my judgment mean anyway? If you don't like what I'm saying and you're feeling judged, stop listening. Why should it matter if I judge you or not?
Now, I know there is a Scripture that says, "Judge not lest ye be judged", yet one must understand the context. It is speaking to those that judge others while committing the exact same sin (in other words, hypocrites). So, by the measure you judge, you will be judged. So, if I am telling someone homosexuality is wrong, but I am not homosexual, by that measure, I will be judged. Okay. No worries there. However, if I am correcting someone on their bad attitude and I have bad attitudes of my own, which I do, then I must be aware that I will be judged by the same measure. However, speaking truth is not judging. It is stating the obvious. I think I'll start saying that.
"Hi, my name is Julie and I am here to state the obvious."
The Bible says, "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are not proper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a person is an idolater - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them
"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible - and everything that is illuminated becomes a light.
"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:3-13, 15-20, emphasis mine
So, why are we living lives that are filled with compromises and more than a hint of immorality? Lord, cleanse me of this world. Make me more like You. Show me any areas where immorality lies in my life so that I can purge it out, just as the Hebrews did with the leaven for Passover. Amen.
Then you have the ones that you speak truth to and they go insane and call you judgmental and a whole selection of other things, such as a hypocrite, and you're trying to tell them that the reason they feel judged and why they are so uncomfortable with the truth is because Holy Spirit is convicting them, not because you're judging them. I mean, really, what does my judgment mean anyway? If you don't like what I'm saying and you're feeling judged, stop listening. Why should it matter if I judge you or not?
Now, I know there is a Scripture that says, "Judge not lest ye be judged", yet one must understand the context. It is speaking to those that judge others while committing the exact same sin (in other words, hypocrites). So, by the measure you judge, you will be judged. So, if I am telling someone homosexuality is wrong, but I am not homosexual, by that measure, I will be judged. Okay. No worries there. However, if I am correcting someone on their bad attitude and I have bad attitudes of my own, which I do, then I must be aware that I will be judged by the same measure. However, speaking truth is not judging. It is stating the obvious. I think I'll start saying that.
"Hi, my name is Julie and I am here to state the obvious."
The Bible says, "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are not proper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a person is an idolater - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them
"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible - and everything that is illuminated becomes a light.
"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:3-13, 15-20, emphasis mine
So, why are we living lives that are filled with compromises and more than a hint of immorality? Lord, cleanse me of this world. Make me more like You. Show me any areas where immorality lies in my life so that I can purge it out, just as the Hebrews did with the leaven for Passover. Amen.