Where is the Gentleness and Humility?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I think people that get offended all the time just need to grow thicker skin instead of complaining about everyone else hurting their delicate sensibilities. Crybaby Christians give Christianity a bad name.

That said, that Bible Discussion Forum here has convinced me of the futility of Sola Scriptura. With Sola Scriptura a million people
read the bible with a million different interpretations on what's correct. They all wind up fighting each other over every little thing. I have just become convinced that this is not what God intended.
I agree that fighting each other is not the way of the Lord. The Lord says to love our enemies, even, and we are just asking posters to give love to other Christians.

I don't think it is following Christ to stand up for our selves or our beliefs on this site, I am trying hard to follow Jesus in this not the world. Worldly posters attack people as enemies instead of speaking of scripture. In the church of the apostles of the first 300 years, Christians even calmly went to their deaths when their enemies attacked.

But I do not think it is a good idea not to share with each other how we interpret scripture. I would not want to give up reading posts because there are people who do not follow the Lord so they use it to fight. We can put up with them with the grace the Lord blesses real Christians with and enjoy discussions of scripture. Disagreeing is not fighting, fighting is personal accusations.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
I’m dismayed at how so many so called ‘believers’ interact in these Chat forums--not all but several interact with arrogance, condescension, and sarcasm--I’m truly surprised that these individuals are not warned or banned from the site. Debating a point can and ought to be done with kindness and gentleness--there is no reason to be rude. We are called to be salt and light in the world--if an unbeliever were to read some of the posts, I can’t imagine they’d want anything to do with Christianity. Also, it seems they often argue/debate simply for the sake of arguing, not to glorify God or to bring light to Truth--they go round and round--it’s like beating a dead horse. And note too, if you call these ‘believers’ out on it, instead of being apologetic, they, like the Pharisees and Sadducees become defensive.

“12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”--Colossians 3:12

“2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”--Ephesians 4:2

“5 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”--1st Peter 5:5

11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
Love endures with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; love does not brag and is not proud or arrogant. It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured. It does not rejoice at injustice, but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail]. Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening].
Love never fails [it never fades nor ends].

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Maybe we should treat others as Christ treats us? Warned and banned.. I see it I truly understand it but.. where then to they go? Jesus will go with them.. He will not leave them. Like it or not .. He said if you have done it to the least of these my brethren you have done it unto me. Who do you think the least are? Have we not in almost 6000 years figured out that LOVE always wins. What gets to you the most is the fact no matter what we do.. no matter how we treat the king of kings and lord of lords.. He comes right back with? Love and open arms.. no human can do this. So you walked a mile so far.. you put up with as much as you can...not smile walk another mile! Its that LOVE they need to see. The world will treat them the same way.

We want mercy grace forgiveness.. its in the little things that matter most. In all the forums I have been on.. I have never banned or ignored anyone. Why? Christ never does that to me. All I will say is .. I have seen in my life great great mercy from the king of kings and.. never seen such love.. so maybe in this tiny thing.. relax.. see the good first... a free choice.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Agreed! It's funny, Surfer, because in one forum they are at nearly 2000 posts--I asked if anyone had happened to change over to the other 'side' or had any epiphanies--one person said they had a few epiphanies, but weren't persuaded to change sides. I joked and said it's like the North and South of Christian Chat. I'm deciding whether or not I'll stay on this site. I did have a couple of epiphanies while studying definitions of different words in scripture, but other than that, I think Id be better off spiritually and emotionally --not to mention time wise if I instead, read my bible and did other 'real life' things that are of much greater importance--this is my first time on chat and there's something weirdly addictive to it.:censored:
What an excellent idea, to check ourselves to see if we grow spiritually through this site.

I use this site to help with my bible studies, as I check each interpretation with scripture. I feel I have grown and changed through this site. I am learning to take insults in a more Christian way, I am learning not to be so dogmatic as examples.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
One thing I've noticed about this and other forums is people post wall after wall of text that doesn't mean anything to anyone except themself. Then someone else will join in and post more walls of text. I wonder if anyone actually reads these? Are they responding to one another or simply posting for the sake of posting. I see a lot of posting simply for the sake of posting.

Jul 9, 2020
One thing I've noticed about this and other forums is people post wall after wall of text that doesn't mean anything to anyone except themself. Then someone else will join in and post more walls of text. I wonder if anyone actually reads these? Are they responding to one another or simply posting for the sake of posting. I see a lot of posting simply for the sake of posting.
hahaha! Have you read my mind?? Totally agree! I really doubt anyone reads it. But man they sure do think they've got everything figured out! ughhhh

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
hahaha! Have you read my mind?? Totally agree! I really doubt anyone reads it. But man they sure do think they've got everything figured out! ughhhh
It isn't that we have everything figured out (while the scripture says that we have an unction from the holy one and that therefore we "know all things" (1 John 2:20)...

It is that God has illuminated certain truths to us via holy scripture and we want to share the insight that the Lord has given to us so that others may benefit from the same truths that we have benefited from.

If most people don't read what we have posted, at least we have posted it so the one who skims over our post and does not read it is just as accountable as the person who reads it and rejects it.

Because the information was offered to them and they did not want to take the time to read that information. Nevertheless the information was given to them so they will be held accountable for that information.

I do think that when a post is addressed to someone in particular, that that someone is more accountable for the information since the post is addressed directly to them.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It hard to get a person to change their mind about something once it's accepted and they begin to defend it. People here aren't different form people in general; after all, we're all just people.

One thing that has baffled me is why a person believes false prophets who can be proven to be false. The conclusion I've come to is people love their idols more than truth. Love is the reason; but it's misplaced love. People love their false prophets even if they are false. Their love for someone has more influence over them than does truth. It might be family or friends, or a special person or group of people they adore for some reason.

It's not that the forum is ineffective in changing people's minds; it's a person's resistance to truth that stops them from changing.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
I agree that fighting each other is not the way of the Lord. The Lord says to love our enemies, even, and we are just asking posters to give love to other Christians.

I don't think it is following Christ to stand up for our selves or our beliefs on this site, I am trying hard to follow Jesus in this not the world. Worldly posters attack people as enemies instead of speaking of scripture. In the church of the apostles of the first 300 years, Christians even calmly went to their deaths when their enemies attacked.

But I do not think it is a good idea not to share with each other how we interpret scripture. I would not want to give up reading posts because there are people who do not follow the Lord so they use it to fight. We can put up with them with the grace the Lord blesses real Christians with and enjoy discussions of scripture. Disagreeing is not fighting, fighting is personal accusations.
If a post is more than 4-5 lines, I don't usually read it.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
They go round and round the bush, never addressing the point. It is like going to Japan to get from NY to London.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
Well, someone could always post a thread asking if anyone bothers to read wall length texts.

That would be sure to send an open message to such people. Who, by the way, could post that way in order to fully flesh out their perspective. And perhaps even presuppose counter posts so to insure those would be addressed beforehand.

I was a member of a site where a thread like that was posted. I knew the member who posted it. He did so to get a dig in on certain members. And intended his thread to call others to join with him in order to make it appear many members were against such posters posting on their site.

I left after that because it was an ignorant thing to start such a thread as that.
Here's why. And also why it's obvious how silly it is to target wall posters.

Because, if someone doesn't like wall text, the grown-up thing to do was scroll on by. Not rant against wall posters in a dedicated thread.

While in truth, if people have an ugh issue with wall posts, they have an issue reading Bible scripture in chapter form on-line. Talk about wall text.

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
You can not fight fire with fire nor with fire and oil.
Water quenches the fire's thirst ,Jesus is the living water!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I guess being humble and realizing are faults is the key to not realizing the faults of others. Being able to forgive is a gift from the Holy Spirit. By forgiving others you are shown Mercy from God.
amen if we look at the problems we ourselves have to work on it sort of occupies the judgement part of us and allows us to be humble knowing we’re in the same boat as the others with flaws and it’s not so important to point out what everyone may be doing wrong

if our focus is on our own flaws were not so judgemental because we realize we all need mercy every day

Mario

Aug 14, 2021
Hi Mario, you said a lot in those two sentences, and there are several things that I'd like to discuss with you, but I'm afraid that it will have to wait until this afternoon or this evening (Dv). I'll leave you with these two, additional thoughts to consider about Christian humility though, a recent one from my senior pastor, and the other one from John the Baptist.
1. Humility isn't thinking less about yourself, rather, it's thinking about yourself, less.​
2. He (Jesus) must increase, but I must decrease .. John 3:30.​

God bless you!

~Deut
Hi Deuteronomy,
I think humility is one of the most important mechanisms in being a Christian. So much wisdom and other attributes stem from it and help us grow. When we are full of pride there is no room to grow in Christ. I agree totally with both of statements. As we decrease we are actually increasing in Christ. More Him, less me. What could be better than that.
I think fear of the Lord can also be very helpful. It helps us learn to Love and Trust Him more with the daily decisions we make. As I am writing this I am coming to a realization on how each one of these are intertwined together. In Love you can find Wisdom, Trust, Longsuffering, Humility and Charity. If you take anyone of these traits you will find all of the other one's that support it.
Thank You for commenting on my post, I am looking forward to chatting with you. I will be home this evening.

Mario

Aug 14, 2021
It isn't that we have everything figured out (while the scripture says that we have an unction from the holy one and that therefore we "know all things" (1 John 2:20)...

It is that God has illuminated certain truths to us via holy scripture and we want to share the insight that the Lord has given to us so that others may benefit from the same truths that we have benefited from.

If most people don't read what we have posted, at least we have posted it so the one who skims over our post and does not read it is just as accountable as the person who reads it and rejects it.

Because the information was offered to them and they did not want to take the time to read that information. Nevertheless the information was given to them so they will be held accountable for that information.

I do think that when a post is addressed to someone in particular, that that someone is more accountable for the information since the post is addressed directly to them.
Your right, when God Illuminates Truths via Holy Spirit. We want and should post it for people to benefit from. Even if for some reason they don't read it or understand it right away. We showed our Heavenly Father that we accepted Him and His truth to the world. Therefor He might accept us in His Kingdom one day.

Mar 4, 2020
Precious friend, so then it is your contention that going Against "teaching {doctrine} about being humble, kind, gentle, peaceful, and loving" to others In Paul's GRACE ministry, should NOT be included in "doctrinal error"? And, further, is it your
contention that we "should NOT mark" those repeated offenders, and "AVOID them"
(cp "reject"
Titus 3:10)?

Conclusion, would it not behoove us to obey God, and move on to other Very Needy
souls who may need God's Gospel Of GRACE and teaching Of the doctrine of the
"fellowship Of The MYSTERY,"
so that they Also can live humbly, kindly, gently, and
lovingly, for God? ie:

(2 Timothy 2:15; Romans 16:25; Ephesians 1:3-9; Ephesians 3:9 =
Grace/Mystery fellowship {Romans – Philemon}, For ALL, today?)

Please Be Richly Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, and Edified!
God’s Simple Will!
You're trying to say that it's good to abandon people who are not gentle or humble. That's going to be most everyone and it happens to be unbiblical.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
I certainly haven't been convinced of any new thing on the BDF.... other than the obvious (to me) futility of Sola Scriptura.
Precious friend, IF Sola Scriptura is futile, then pray tell, what am I "going to give an account for" At The Judgment Seat Of CHRIST (1Co 3:6-15; 2Ti 2:15)?

Do I give account for some other man-made alternative???

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
To be fair, Laura‘s issue is regarding people who say they are believers.

But the treatment you described is despicable. I’m sorry you’ve been treated that way.
As was mine.

Thank you.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
As was mine.

Thank you.
Of course. But I don't believe Laura would agree with those who have treated you harshly and with disrespect. My point was that you and she have similar views when it comes to the behavior of some members who call themselves "believers".